Author Topic: January 22, 2015? NAMM  (Read 11831 times)

Offline Khes74

Re: January 22, 2015? NAMM
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2015, 12:31:05 PM »
what makes this mesh pad less bouncier?

I think that because the added number of cones adds a harder less bouncier surface overall.

Offline tk87

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2015, 12:49:33 PM »
what makes this mesh pad less bouncier?

I think that because the added number of cones adds a harder less bouncier surface overall.

Interesting! I simply thought more cones = bouncier  :D

Offline vaikl

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2015, 01:17:47 PM »

Offline tk87

« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
man all these modules that came out recently including NFUZD, they try to look modern simple and clean.. less buttons etc.. just looks like a really expensive toy lol.. I personally like the old look like td10 and td20... looks legit IMO.. just a personal taste i guess no big deal.

Offline Sal

« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2015, 01:41:21 PM »
I love that all cymbal stand setup. Are the pads rubber? They look rubber...
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2015, 01:43:30 PM »
If it lives up to its hype that will be a nice setup. Be nice if the pads are FSR based for playing out live.
JimmyB

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2015, 04:51:59 PM »
Guys, from the Info I got from (Jman at vdrum was at Namm), it appears the module show at Namm was 512mb, but talking to go to 4 gig, also the sample per pad is limited to 8 velocity switch with round robbin of sorts thing going to prevent machine gunning and told this Module would probably sound better then all actual Edrum on the market outside that not using VST. Also NSPIRE is completely different and not just as far as the plug type, as far as the voltages for the different zones not matching up to other brand, and even the Hi Hat controller would be proprietary. It's all their own pad and cymbal process, so DYI and using others, would be almost impossible.

Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSGzS1sgsM

Another Video, the sound are exported to the USB, then used on the module, which means, you can have tons kits ready, on many USB stick, then you can change them a bit on the module.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHpCfAMkT2Y

Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/nfuzdaudio
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 05:19:50 PM by ChrisK »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2015, 07:05:49 PM »
Chris, thanx for the info and vids!

Guys, from the Info I got from (Jman at vdrum was at Namm), it appears the module show at Namm was 512mb, but talking to go to 4 gig, also the sample per pad is limited to 8 velocity switch with round robbin of sorts thing going to prevent machine gunning and told this Module would probably sound better then all actual Edrum on the market outside that not using VST. Also NSPIRE is completely different and not just as far as the plug type, as far as the voltages for the different zones not matching up to other brand, and even the Hi Hat controller would be proprietary. It's all their own pad and cymbal process, so DYI and using others, would be almost impossible.

As a long-time BFD customer this could be the kit of my dreams :-*. I think we'll have to wait until we could see and hear the end product in action.

8 velocity switch levels sounds good against most other e-kits, but afaik the 2box can have much more (i believe up to 100, where BFD2/3 expansions are capable of more than 120 on a comp, i.e. for a snare). I think you can hear this a bit when John plays the snare in the second video, no complex variations. But 4GB internal RAM sounds reasonable for a life gig with 16bit 44,1 KHz and 8 layers.

So the Data slot on the module is for importing the BFD sound exports from an USB stick. What is the "Computer" port for?? MIDI? Audio?

I'm still a bit critical and disappointed with the "open architecture" marketing speech. It's BFD only, it's proprietary hardware - what in hell is "open" on that? You could even call the DM10 "open architecture" because we could load a single, lonely sound pack named "BluJay" ::)

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:02 PM »
It's too much early, how this can be with 4gig, also we don't know what firmware, update or even newer module from them can be, etc. but about the machine gun, this can be reduced on how you set them on the BFD side also the sensitivity module side, if you build sound with too much attack sound, it will sound way machine all the way etc.. Computer port, I don't know..

Another Video
Notice Ethernet Input at 2:09
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ0uivMbp04

Offline rhysT

« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2015, 08:36:19 PM »
As a long-time BFD customer this could be the kit of my dreams :-*. I think we'll have to wait until we could see and hear the end product in action.

8 velocity switch levels sounds good against most other e-kits, but afaik the 2box can have much more (i believe up to 100, where BFD2/3 expansions are capable of more than 120 on a comp, i.e. for a snare). I think you can hear this a bit when John plays the snare in the second video, no complex variations. But 4GB internal RAM sounds reasonable for a life gig with 16bit 44,1 KHz and 8 layers.

So the Data slot on the module is for importing the BFD sound exports from an USB stick. What is the "Computer" port for?? MIDI? Audio?

I'm still a bit critical and disappointed with the "open architecture" marketing speech. It's BFD only, it's proprietary hardware - what in hell is "open" on that? You could even call the DM10 "open architecture" because we could load a single, lonely sound pack named "BluJay" ::)

+1 thanks Chris (& Jman @ NAMM), for updates on the NSPIRE kit features.

Vaikl, I guess the NFUZD interpretation of "open architecture" is being able to import proprietary samples into an otherwise "protected" module soundset (if that makes sense). Quite cunning of them to limit us DIYer's from trying to load others VSTs into the module, but 2box still have a major advantage with their actual "open VST architecture".

Maybe NFUZD are keeping their options "open" for future midi access via the 'Computer' port. I'd expect they'll eventually allow the pads to trigger the BFD3/Eco sounds directly in a computer as we can do already.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »
Vaikl, I guess the NFUZD interpretation of "open architecture" is being able to import proprietary samples into an otherwise "protected" module soundset (if that makes sense).

The whole product was planned and made to integrate FXpansions drum software product line, otherwise you woudn't see people like John Emrich as representatives. This isn't "open", but a foresight marketing campaign.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2015, 09:27:18 PM »
NFUDZ Module Price 749$ (from digital Drummer) Less overpriced Module!

http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/NFUZD...mponents-53202
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 09:46:52 PM by ChrisK »

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2015, 10:44:09 PM »
Complete kit for $1700. Interesting that it's listed under Mapex.
http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/NFUZD-Audio---NSPIRE-Rock-Full-Pack-53201
jimmyB

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2015, 01:37:19 AM »
Complete kit for $1700. Interesting that it's listed under Mapex.
http://www.ruppsdrums.com/item/NFUZD-Audio---NSPIRE-Rock-Full-Pack-53201
jimmyB

Yes under mapex because see this

KHS Musical Instrument have Mapex and others see links below trademarks,
http://trademarks.justia.com/owners/...s-ltd-2394492/

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2015, 01:04:31 AM »
Something to not confuse, The demo was with BFDEco software but you can use the standard BFD3 software if you upgrade and use BFD3 for the main software  both software Eco and BFD3 have the Export-To-Module function, which produces a sound bank for the NSPIRE eKit, (remember the BFD3 have the wav import to build your own sound and make them as a kit). The result might be better with BFD3 sound bank.

second post
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7580610

Another Video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=UJWP6K_lYts&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_detailpage
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 01:55:19 AM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2015, 04:22:00 AM »
Something to not confuse, The demo was with BFDEco software but you can use the standard BFD3 software if you upgrade and use BFD3 for the main software  both software Eco and BFD3 have the Export-To-Module function, which produces a sound bank for the NSPIRE eKit, (remember the BFD3 have the wav import to build your own sound and make them as a kit). The result might be better with BFD3 sound bank.

second post
http://www.fxpansion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7580610

Another Video here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1421914688&v=UJWP6K_lYts&x-yt-cl=84503534&feature=player_detailpage

In the video Russ Miller made an interesting comment (at 5:20) "....... it's open architecture, you can use other software, it doesn't have to be BFD ......." whatever that means. I assumed that BFD3 or Eco was the only VST software option available to create soundsets and import them into the module.

There's a brief view of the module rear panel which shows a round socket which may be a midi connector - I'd like to see a clearer view of that panel.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:44:36 AM by rhysT »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2015, 09:13:46 AM »
In the video Russ Miller made an interesting comment (at 5:20) "....... it's open architecture, you can use other software, it doesn't have to be BFD ......." whatever that means. I assumed that BFD3 or Eco was the only VST software option available to create soundsets and import them into the module.

No, i think he also was tricked by the "open architecture" marketing speech ;)
If you need a special export function to copy a whole kit's sound files onto the module (and to reduce the number of velocity layers to eight), you'll need that function in every other drum software on the market to make the module kind of "open". Maybe there will be other sound manufacturers to join KHS/NFUZD in the future, but today it's a more or less closed party between NFUZD and FXpansion. And John Emrich isn't accidentally part of the team ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 09:23:52 AM »
There's a brief view of the module rear panel which shows a round socket which may be a midi connector - I'd like to see a clearer view of that panel.

From what i can see it's a MIDI DIN 5-pin port, but there's no label if it is In or Out/Thru. That's why i asked about the function(s) of the USB B port on the side above the trigger in's.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
Wonder if they have any vid of actual playing, other than a few seconds of cymbal.
JimmyB

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2015, 02:37:37 PM »
Skot Mcdonald finally explained the "Open Architecture" in Digital Drummer facebook.

"The "open architecture" refers to the lego-like way you can buy bits of kit, the hyrbid kit support, the fact you can chain modules or forthcoming trigger-IO boxes together via CAT-5 cable to boost trigger inputs, and trigger electrical format conversion boxes in the works. The TB of available samples in the BFD libraries is of course the source palette from which you construct your personal sounds rather than what you have immediately available on the module (do you really want to scroll through 1000's of BFD kit pieces live?); the sonic flexibility of our multi-micced libraries and engineering options"

Offline vaikl

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 03:20:01 PM »
Skot Mcdonald finally explained the "Open Architecture" in Digital Drummer facebook.

"The "open architecture" refers to the lego-like way you can buy bits of kit, the hyrbid kit support, the fact you can chain modules or forthcoming trigger-IO boxes together via CAT-5 cable to boost trigger inputs, and trigger electrical format conversion boxes in the works. The TB of available samples in the BFD libraries is of course the source palette from which you construct your personal sounds rather than what you have immediately available on the module (do you really want to scroll through 1000's of BFD kit pieces live?); the sonic flexibility of our multi-micced libraries and engineering options"

So it's "open" in the BFD universe... ;) But the chaining option via CAT5 is a really interesting thing for future setups.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2015, 06:27:07 PM »

No, i think he also was tricked by the "open architecture" marketing speech ;)
If you need a special export function to copy a whole kit's sound files onto the module (and to reduce the number of velocity layers to eight), you'll need that function in every other drum software on the market to make the module kind of "open". Maybe there will be other sound manufacturers to join KHS/NFUZD in the future, but today it's a more or less closed party between NFUZD and FXpansion. And John Emrich isn't accidentally part of the team ;)

Yeah, I figured Russ Miller was giving his own version of the script wrt "open architecture", and that John Emrich's comments were more accurate.

The concept of chaining modules and future trigger-IO/s via CAT-5 makes sense, similar to the KAT Adam & Eve/Diti combo.

The suggested hybrid A/E options with NSPIRE pads and module/s sound reasonable for the initial prices.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
Did Adam and Eve ever materialize?
JimmyB

Offline Khes74

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2015, 09:22:45 PM »
Did Adam and Eve ever materialize?
JimmyB

Yes sort of. The DITI exists now. It's $500 though and if you want a MIDI interface you should really go for Megadrum, just as complex and $200 cheaper. How I see it the DITI is more so used for FSR pads.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2015, 12:42:07 AM »

So it's "open" in the BFD universe... ;) But the chaining option via CAT5 is a really interesting thing for future setups.

As well the actual Module or newer module later, because there was a bit talking, 4 gig of memory flash ram, now it is 512mb of flash ram on this module, we might see others module on the plan or the same upgraded, don't know, so be careful buyer, wait until web site is updated with all information and if it is expendables on the memory or need newer module later from them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:29:19 AM by ChrisK »