Author Topic: Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Review Coming Soon!!!  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Laurin Cymbals, anyone?
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2023, 03:37:30 AM »
My new snare and four cymbals (HH, Ride, 2 x Crash) have cleared customs and are on their way to me!!!
Yaaaay!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2023, 12:02:48 PM »
Something of note about my order with Laurin Drums:

A) Ordering, or preparing to order from them gets a personal conversation with Robert Laurin himself - very helpful and friendly.

B) Upon shipping my order he sent pdf files with suggested settings for all major drum modules. A very nice way to start off on the right foot!

C) Each piece (drum and cymbals) was made to order and tested before being shipped

D) Full One-Year Guarantee

It's really hard to feel nervous about this transaction!

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Review Coming Soon!!!
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2023, 06:37:55 PM »
So far So Good!

My Laurin order came earlier than expected, and it looks like a Lot of Fun!!!

The snare drum is absolutely stunning and, like people have been saying: it came nicely tuned and beautiful! Also Very Well packaged for international shipping. Kudos Laurin Drums!

The cymbals are metal (I already knew that) with a sort of a padded printed fabric on the playing side with a rubber ring around the border and a nice little electronic systems box screwed onto the underside.

At first sight they seemed strange. The images on the web look glossy but these are not. When I took this picture, I see why: they look glossy in photos!

Tapping them with my fingers feels great and I'm confident that they won't be overly stiff or any loader (ambient) than my Alesis cymbals.

The Hi Hat Controller (seen by the upper left of the snare in the pic) will be an interesting experiment. I'm so accustomed to playing without having to find the right position for a hi hat stand that I'm not sure I'll like it. I absolutely love that my pedal is independent of the cymbal placement. But like I told Robert Laurin, I'd rather get it and try it, than to not. If it works better, I'll stick with it. If not, all I have to do is plug my pedal back in.

The hi hat cymbal (could be a crash too, but when ordered as a hi hat, it comes with the controller and...) came with a hi hat clutch already installed on it. Then it has an anti-spin thingy that mounts onto the plunger rod of the hi hat stand between the controller and the cymbal - secured into place by allen screw with the included allen key.

I also ordered three additional anti-spin thingies for the new ride and two crash cymbals as well as a spare white drum head. Normally if you order a white head with a drum order, he'll install the white head and send the black one as well - so I asked him to go ahead and install the black one and send the white as a spare.

Wasn't sure what to expect with the heads, but they feel really nice without trying sticks on them. Oh... that reminds me. I need to order a new set of Ahead sticks!

Robert also threw in a nice little drum key!!!

Now I just have to get them to the studio and try them all out!

Since Robert went through the kind consideration of passing along tried and tested settings for the DM10 module, I'm going to begin with a reset of my module and start with his recommendations and tweak from there, if needed.

Kind of excited right now!  :D

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 06:41:35 PM »
I forgot to turn a cymbal over to show the underside. One thing I noticed when trying to decide is that there really aren't any pictures of the underside.

Well I painstakingly packed them back up to bring safely to the studio. I'll grab a photo then.

I must say, however, it's tough not to open them back up just to look at them some more!!!  :P

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2023, 06:50:58 PM »
I probably already mentioned this, but when finally deciding to go the Laurin Drums route, a lot of that decision went to his incredible customer service along with the posts from happy customers on the site.  The video on that home page also really helped to sell me.

These newer generation Laurin Drums cymbals have user-facing screws that we can use to replace the electronics if needed. I asked Robert how much they cost, since I didn't see them available in the store. He replied that if I need one, he'll send one. But it never really happens so they found it unnecessary to put in the store!  ;D

I really like how these drums are made very similarly to a common DIY type of build for a mesh head drum conversion. Tried and true trigger setup. But what I like even more is that, when the time comes that I need more drums and cymbals, I can order matching ones - and Laurin Drums happily do the work for me - and do a really nice, loving job on it... I can tell!

The entire ordering process was very pleasant. Nothing like ordering any other type of e-drum gear. I got to email back and forth between the actual drum/cymbal builder. He was happy to give advice and answer my queries. Just don't get that from online vendors much. It was refreshing and fun!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2023, 08:14:49 PM »
I've been super busy lately. Just after my Laurin Drums beauties got here, my mom passed and, well... okay enough about that.

I made a nice little page for my Laurin Drums purchase on my website to get a little more info out if people search for it. I'll be updating as time goes on.

My Laurin Drums Experience

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2023, 09:34:25 AM »
Look up Lemon cymbals.  I use a set with my Strike.  They work perfectly and aren't expensive at all.   

Vouching for Lemon cymbals. Love them! I replaced all mine with them.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2023, 06:12:20 PM »
Look up Lemon cymbals.  I use a set with my Strike.  They work perfectly and aren't expensive at all.   

Vouching for Lemon cymbals. Love them! I replaced all mine with them.

Always good to look at more options. Thanks! :)