Author Topic: Early Christmas Present  (Read 1377 times)

Early Christmas Present
« on: October 16, 2020, 01:08:41 PM »
HI Everyone, I just wanted to say hi to all of you out there. I joined this community and thanks to the moderator(s) who approved my registration request. I got a very early Christmas present from the wife yesterday. She ordered an Alesis Strike Pro SE for me. I am so excited and I stayed up so late last night watching so many youtube videos about this kit. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Re: Early Christmas Present
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 01:51:27 PM »
Hell yeah! Welcome. Is this your first kit?

I never get Christmas presents early lol.
I always tell my wife we're adults and can do what we want.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 02:02:25 PM »
I had the Alesis DM Pro kit (I think that's what it's called) in 2002. I was debating between Alesis and Hart Dynamics at that time. But I went with Alesis because it's more reasonable price wise. I stopped playing for a loooong time (kids, work and all that adult stuff) and can't wait to get back on the saddle now that my kids are all grown up.

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:16:28 AM »
Nice gift! I am not so lucky and had to buy them myself. Let me know if you are interested in some Stike custom kits. You can however find most on this forum.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 12:43:58 PM »
Nice gift! I am not so lucky and had to buy them myself. Let me know if you are interested in some Stike custom kits. You can however find most on this forum.

Thanks Onyx. I can't seem to upload a photo of my new SE baby. I will try again later to upload a photo of it.

I am struggling to get the hi-hat settings dialed in but I will be researching this forum and google to find out suggestions on how to tackle and tweak it. Most of the videos I have seen so far are for firmware v1.4 so the module displays don't seem to be the same. The Strike module for the SE kit came with the v1.5 loaded already.

I have searched for free custom kits and I found one on youtube (SIREN2173 Kit Pack) and I am loving the kits. My favorite in the custom pack is the Yamaha kit.

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2020, 02:48:33 PM »
Make sure your Hi-Hat is mounted according to instructions. Then open the clutch and let HH rest on controller. This next step mede the biggest difference for me.

Do not push on HH pedal. Instead lift HH with your hands about 1 inch or around 2 cm and tighten the clutch. Next go to triggers, enable note follow and hit HH. Press F1 to go to pedal settings and increase offset for a bit. That's all I did for hh and it's perfect. I also decreased sensitivity on all drums by 1-2. And decreased retriggering on snare for 3.

Siren kits are amazing. Got some more, will send by PM when I'm at my drums.

Edit: Mine also came with 1.5.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 06:35:03 AM by onyx »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 12:07:11 AM »
SIREN2173 (now .."At The Source Studios") uses V1.3 as do I so the Hi hat may differ somewhat.
I don't know if he is using the V1.3 trigger OS also or if V1.5.
V1.3 has a Hi Hat reset and much more in the way of manual adjustment/settings including "tightness" to adjust for cymbal gap.The automatic HiHat calibration was implemented mainly because new users didn't have the patience/understanding how to setup the HiHat to their playing style (everybody is different) now everyone is locked into a "standard" and the SE has a different bottom controller.I don't have one of those so I can't confirm if it's FSR or a slide pot like the Goedrum controllers.You can use all the V1.5 Content/kits in earlier versions.

I attached the Features update.
You can see all the changes made to the Hi Hat over time.

EDIT:
I did some research and the SE Hi Hat still uses the Pro-X/STRIKE (FSR) controller.
The only difference is a 14" top cymbal and a boot that sits on top of the controller.
I don't know if the controller is exactly the same and without an 1/8" input that was for the sensors on the original bottom cymbal
or if the 1/8" sensor input still remains and was just abandoned.
pics attached
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:12:07 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 02:09:02 PM »
EDIT:
I don't know if the controller is exactly the same and without an 1/8" input that was for the sensors on the original bottom cymbal or if the 1/8" sensor input still remains and was just abandoned.

It's still there.

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2020, 03:38:08 AM »
Make sure your Hi-Hat is mounted according to instructions. Then open the clutch and let HH rest on controller. This next step mede the biggest difference for me.

Do not push on HH pedal. Instead lift HH with your hands about 1 inch or around 2 cm and tighten the clutch. Next go to triggers, enable note follow and hit HH. Press F1 to go to pedal settings and increase offset for a bit. That's all I did for hh and it's perfect. I also decreased sensitivity on all drums by 1-2. And decreased retriggering on snare for 3.

Siren kits are amazing. Got some more, will send by PM when I'm at my drums.

Edit: Mine also came with 1.5.

Thanks for the hihat control set up tip and the custom kits. My main issue now is missed hits on the hihat cymbal itself. Seems like the triggers are not sensitive enough especially the edge. So I have been playing with the trigger settings for the hh bow and edge and I can't seem to find the sweet spot. If it is not too much to ask, can you provide info on your hh bow and edge trigger settings? Maybe I can start with that.

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 09:23:33 AM »
Will do once I'm back in the basement. One thing I learned on this forum is, read everything Chaser posts (even if it's not related to your drum set). I learned so much from his reply to other peoples problems.

Chaser do you maybe know if the module have sounds on 1.3 that are missing on 1.5? In other words, do custom kits made on 1.3 work the same on 1.5?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 12:14:22 PM »
Chaser do you maybe know if the module have sounds on 1.3 that are missing on 1.5? In other words, do custom kits made on 1.3 work the same on 1.5?

Content was always added..never removed although the kits have been re-ordered every time new ones were added.
The .skt (kit) files point to instrument location..doesn't matter what name or location of the.skt (kit)
You can even pull the internal card rename all of them and put it back in.

The hierarchy for the kits/instruments/samples depends on where you start building a kit and that's the samples...they are the base.
The .sin file(instrument) has the information/location of the samples used..the skt (kit) has the information/location of the instruments used.
You can move/rename the .skt (kit) and nothing changes because its at the top of the order and the location of the instruments and samples hasn't changed or been renamed.
If you move/rename an instrument file then the .skt (kit) file can't locate it..same with the samples.reorganize or move them to a different folder and the .sin (instrument) file can't locate them.
Keep this in mind when you are building user kits with you own samples.
Do all your organizing/naming of the samples before you start creating instruments.

The only major problem someone will have if they purchase a module with V1.2 and update to V1.5.
The Powerstation kits were added in V1.3 and a major content addition in  V1.4 so if you go straight from V1.2 to V1.5..then yes you will be missing content and you'll get "path not found errors".
V1.2 was also the only/last time Alesis released a kit/instrument group list which shows the instrument makeup (.sin) and layers for every kit.
The Kit numbers have changed but the information hasn't.
You'll need to use zoom as for some reason Alesis put all the info on one page.
Attached

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
One thing I learned on this forum is, read everything Chaser posts (even if it's not related to your drum set). I learned so much from his reply to other peoples problems.

I will definitely do that.

Chaser, I just want to thank you for having the passion to help people out with their questions and challenges. That takes time on your part. So thanks.

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2020, 06:28:38 AM »
This is my hi-hat setup on Alesis Strike Pro SE. Module is on v1.5.

Edge
Sensitivity: 57
Xtalk: 00
Retrigger: 00
Threshold: 05

Bow
Sensitivity: 45
Xtalk: 03
Retrigger: 07
Threshold: 10

Pedal (Millenium HH-902 Pro Series)
Foot sens: 42
Splash: 80
Offset: 62

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 11:22:39 AM »
Thanks Onyx. I will give this a try today.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 11:57:21 AM »
One thing I learned on this forum is, read everything Chaser posts (even if it's not related to your drum set). I learned so much from his reply to other peoples problems.

I will definitely do that.

Chaser, I just want to thank you for having the passion to help people out with their questions and challenges. That takes time on your part. So thanks.

Happy to help...
This forum is a much different environment than Social Media and is respectful regardless of a members E-Drum overall experience.
Use of the Search engine is highly recommended as there is over a decade of experience/tips/tricks etc in the Database and it will benefit those looking for answers you normally wouldn't find anywhere , especially for older gear.
There isn't a large amount info on the STRIKE series (STRIKE Kits and STRIKE Multipad) as most have joined the Facebook groups.
There are a few members here that have the setup and are well versed.Some gig with the STRIKE kits constantly , but not many questions have been asked other than some complaints then off to the groups.
Membership in the past 10 months has nearly exceeded membership from the previous 10 years .Members need not be shy and are encouraged to participate as much as possible.

My main issue now is missed hits on the hihat cymbal itself. Seems like the triggers are not sensitive enough especially the edge. So I have been playing with the trigger settings for the hh bow and edge and I can't seem to find the sweet spot. If it is not too much to ask, can you provide info on your hh bow and edge trigger settings? Maybe I can start with that.

E-Drum trigger settings are largely based on playing style , pad types etc.A heavy hitters trigger settings isn't going to help a dynamic player and vice versa
The worst and usually first thing people do is max out the sensitivity.

Here are some links I don't think many know about and they are very informative.. Alesis doesn't do well on supplying information...you have to dig for it.

Alesis Strike Kit - Troubleshooting Trigger Response

Alesis Strike Pro Kit - Optimizing Trigger Response

Alesis Strike Kit - Hi-Hat Configuration and Troubleshooting

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2020, 12:44:57 PM »
Thanks Onyx. I will give this a try today.

Like Chaser said my settings might not work for you. I like to smack my drums and I mostly play metal, rock, etc. I followed most of the guidelines posted above and tried to change as little as possible.

If you got to a point where nothing helps. The best thing is to reset the module and start again.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 01:26:28 PM by onyx »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2020, 01:17:38 PM »
The edge triggers (switch) on these cymbals don't perform as well as I think they should..One trick that works well (especially for the Crash) is to go into the Voice and lower the velocity level which seems backwards  but you'll notice a major difference if drop it to 20 or 30 to start..99 is the most Dynamic

VOICE>VEL.....VELOCITY>LEVEL (This determines how much the velocity of a strike will affect the layer’s volume level)

EDIT:
Added a youtube video that better explains editing velocities and how to use the filters..
ALESIS STRIKE || Editing Velocities
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 02:20:59 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2020, 07:48:19 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am not a hard hitter so I will take all what you two said about trigger settings as it relates to drummer style of playing. Thanks for the cymbal velocity settings tip too.

By the way, I got my hands on an old Roland CY-14 collecting dust at my friends place who is a sound guy for church. I plugged it into the hihat input and tested the triggering. And I feel that it responds better to the nuances of hihat hits. So I think I am going to figure out a way to mount the cy14 as a hihat. I saw a video from Drum65 where he showed how to use a Roland ride as hihat. But he used a goedrum hihat controller. I don't want to spend another $60+ bucks so I will figure out a way how to still use the Alesis hihat controller.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 07:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am not a hard hitter so I will take all what you two said about trigger settings as it relates to drummer style of playing. Thanks for the cymbal velocity settings tip too.

By the way, I got my hands on an old Roland CY-14 collecting dust at my friends place who is a sound guy for church. I plugged it into the hihat input and tested the triggering. And I feel that it responds better to the nuances of hihat hits. So I think I am going to figure out a way to mount the cy14 as a hihat. I saw a video from Drum65 where he showed how to use a Roland ride as hihat. But he used a goedrum hihat controller. I don't want to spend another $60+ bucks so I will figure out a way how to still use the Alesis hihat controller.

I haven't been using the Factory Content (since V1.3) other than testing so I went and loaded the V1.5 OS including content into one of my modules
There is another option you can use to increase sensitivity..especially if want more dynamics.
UTILITY>TRIGGER(F3)...Change TRIG SENSITIVITY to HIGH.(Factory Default is MEDIUM)
The Cymbals edge triggers become more responsive....some kits more than others.
This is a GLOBAL setting..
The Sensitivity settings on all the kits remain at the same settings so there is plenty of room for adjustment,GLOBAL sensitivity is increased.

See if that helps with the Hi Hat..

EDIT:
I noticed while going through V1.5 that the Hi Hat is no longer in a MUTE group which it was in previous versions , also the VOICE>VEL.....VELOCITY>LEVEL settings in previously versions were at 99 which is full dynamics.
In V1.5 I see the Hi Hats are set around the 50 range so they may sound as choppy as when they were in a MUTE group..
Try the GLOBAL settings to HIGH then set the  VELOCITY>LEVEL to 99...
The Alesis cymbals have really thick rubber...I have taken them apart for repairs and the rubber cap is a large percentage of the weight..

« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:09:14 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »
i actually saw those fine tuning settings recommended by Siren2173 on his youtube video. And I applied those settings. It did help but I still feel like I still have to hit it with some umph. With the Roland CY14, it was pretty darn good with the velocity level of 99 and it really responds with the nuances. And I am happy to report that I managed to mount the CY14 as a hihat and using the Alesis hihat controller. So now I have an extra cymbal. I ordered a TRS cable splitter from Amazon and I will use this extra cymbal as my splash.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 10:14:37 PM by happydadnorm »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2020, 12:15:55 AM »
i actually saw those fine tuning settings recommended by Siren2173 on his youtube video. And I applied those settings. It did help but I still feel like I still have to hit it with some umph. With the Roland CY14, it was pretty darn good with the velocity level of 99 and it really responds with the nuances. And I am happy to report that I managed to mount the CY14 as a hihat and using the Alesis hihat controller. So now I have an extra cymbal. I ordered a TRS cable splitter from Amazon and I will use this extra cymbal as my splash.

If the CY14 works better for you by all means use it.I would check the Alesis cymbal and see if it has a bad edge trigger by swapping with another 14" Crash.It's not uncommon to have a bad edge switch.The centers (allen head area) are interchangeable.The Hi Hat has a flat mount for the clutch where as the Crash has a pivot.The Hi Hat cymbal must be rigid/tight on the clutch.
I spent a few minutes and have the Hi Hat working quite well,settings vary with the Hi Hat Voice selection as they have different velocity ranges.(Personally I can't stand the factory samples as they limit and promote the weakness of the module.)

The 14" cymbals are actually triple (3) zone single cable.The bell switch has a resistor for separating the 2 switches on the same zone.
If you shank the Bell you'll hear the edge Voice.There is a trick that involves adjust the velocities and adding a voice to layer B that can be triggered from the Bell , but that's another topic.
If the edge is bad you are under warranty..

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 12:23:04 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2020, 12:26:51 AM »
Good point. I will try the other Alesis crash cymbals for comparison to see if there is something wrong with the hihat. Thanks.