Author Topic: Howdy from my daughter's roadie in Vegas.  (Read 2059 times)

Howdy from my daughter's roadie in Vegas.
« on: November 06, 2017, 09:21:47 PM »
Howdy, everyone.   Old school acoustic drum tech/roadie in Vegas here.   My daughter's the drummer; I just do the grunt work.  And I'm grateful for that opportunity.    :)

She's always used her Alesis DM8 Pro kit to keep her chops sharp in preparation for a recording session or performance with her acoustic set.   We both have a lot of respect for the brand; it's been a helpful tool for her as she grew in her craft.

And now we're in the middle of converting one of her acoustic sets into an electronic one.  Triggers and heads are almost all done; gonna decide on which cymbals after we first familiarize ourselves with the DM10 which we got to replace her old and trusty DM8.   It feels like learning a foreign language to me.  :)

I like the DM10's flexibility a lot.  Never liked the DM8's snake connector.  Nice to have a module with individual connectors for a change too  And I love that is has both a midi-in and a midi-out.  The DM8 only had one of those.

We'll eventually be hooking up with a VSP, either stand-alone or via Pro-Tools, down the road.

I hope you don't mind if I count on y'all's experience while I reveal my newbie colors to you at the outset.  You gotta start at the starting line to have a great finish. 

Looking forward to crossing paths with y'all.

Peter

Sakae Almighty Maple shells; Extreme Drums! triggers; Ballistech 3.0 heads (snare and kick); Remo Silverstroke heads (toms); Sakae double pedals; Gibraltar rack; Sakae throne; misc. Sakae stands; Alesis DM8Pro cymbal pads (for the time being), and; the Alesis DM10 module (its brain).

Online Hellfire

Re: Howdy from my daughter's roadie in Vegas.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
Hi Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

Just so you know I deleted your other two identical posts. Please do not post the same message multiple time on the forum. It just makes things a big mess. We will see your message.

Again, welcome to the forum.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »
Roger that, Hellfire.   Just a habit of mine to visit various rooms of a home I'm entering for the first time to introduce myself.    So noted.
Sakae Almighty Maple shells; Extreme Drums! triggers; Ballistech 3.0 heads (snare and kick); Remo Silverstroke heads (toms); Sakae double pedals; Gibraltar rack; Sakae throne; misc. Sakae stands; Alesis DM8Pro cymbal pads (for the time being), and; the Alesis DM10 module (its brain).

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 08:51:50 AM »
hahaha, kind of like marking your territory huh?

welcome A2E, I like your story and your daughter is lucky to have such an involved father.. I wish my kids were more musical, they have no idea what they're missing in life  :)

look forward to hearing more about your and her stories.. post some pics of the setup or her band sometime
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 10:40:40 AM »
Thank you, Alan.  That's mighty neighborly of you. 

Life is unpredictable.  I've met people who took up an instrument while they were kids and dropped it in adulthood, and I've met people who took one up in adulthood when they had no interest when they were kids.   Our job, as parents, is to simply encourage by example.  They will chose what they will chose, when they want to.  And people change; that is their prerogative.

Devikah isn't a full time member of a band because her time is more focused on her studies.  But when she isn't studying and attending class, she likes to offer her drumming services on a part time basis as a fill-in.  Becoming a successful session drummer is a goal of hers ( www.Devikah.com ).

As soon as we put the different components of her A2E drum set together (described below), she wants to create a few YouTube video covers with it.  The only ones that she has on YouTube, now,  include her acoustic sets.  I guess you could say that she's been bitten by the bug of electronic drumming, which means that it's time for me to learn a foreign language.  :)

Thank you again, Alan.    Cheers!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 10:45:06 AM by A2E in Vegas »

Offline Iggford

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
I think that's great to encourage your daughter to chase her dream.  I have four kids, ranging from 14 down to 1 (next week), and they all seem to have an interest in music in some form.  My 7-year-old daughter has a passion for ballet, and my 12-year-old son actually has my old e-drum kit.  They both have electric guitars, as well, and my 14-year-old daughter got a violin for her birthday last year.

Even with the accessibility that they have to instruments, they come and go from it so quickly.  I know that they may pick it up an put it down many times over the course of their childhoods.  My wife and I homeschool them, so we actually offer incentives for them to at least learn about the instruments.  All three of them love to come to band rehearsals with me, and any gigs that we play that are family-friendly.  My older two have even learned parts of the set-up and tear-down processes at shows.

Then, there's the baby.  He's already watching me very intently when I practice at home.  He loves to sit at the kit and play around.  It may be too early to tell, but I have a good feeling he will follow his older siblings.

After all this, my point is that it's great to encourage children at any age.  I didn't play an instrument until I was in my early 20's.  I sat down behind a drum kit in '99, and that was all it took.  And I get words of encouragement from my parents, even now, and I think it is one of the best forms of encouragement.  I have an amazing amount of support in my life, all around me, for what I do, but it just adds to it when you get a feeling of making your parents proud, no matter how old you get.

--Shawn.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »
You sound like a great dad, Shawn.  Devikah was homeschooled as well. 

Her initial experience to drumming was by way of the computer game program Rock Band.  I told her that she could expect to receive her first acoustic set, back then, only if she can achieve the Expert level in some very challenging songs in the Program.  She learned the value of earning a personal benefit, worked her tail off to accomplish that goal, and received a Yamaha Stage Custom as the end result.  Thanks to Rock Band, too, she kept the habit of practicing her skills on an electronic set (Rock Band -> Simmons -> Alesis).

Thanks for sharing.  Your kids are blessed to have your support.

Offline Iggford

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »
Thanks very much, you sound like a great one, too!

My kids were exposed to Guitar Hero, which I think can earn some credit for their interest in the guitar.  My son currently uses the RockSmith program, in addition to other lessons, to learn some basics.

As parents, it's our duty to make sure they have the resources to pursue the dreams that they have as children.  Then, hopefully, they can continue the chase once they are released into the world!

--Shawn.