Author Topic: New to the eDrums world!  (Read 1911 times)

New to the eDrums world!
« on: August 07, 2018, 01:26:09 PM »
Super excited. Just purchased a used Alesis DM10 Studio Mesh kit and am super happy with the purchase. I'd like to incorporate Addictive Drums 2 into the kit, and was hoping some of you here may be able to direct me to online resources in helping get that going? I have the USB cable to connect the module to my Macbook Air and I have AD2 downloaded. Is it as simple as mapping the drums as midi to the software or is it more than that?

Also, the Alesis mesh heads have some wear on them. Does it make sense to get a conversion kit to add new mesh heads? I was looking at 682Drums' conversion kit- any feedback on them?

Offline AlanK

Re: New to the eDrums world!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 04:29:45 PM »
Hi BE, welcome to the forum!

In AD2, you should be able to go to the settings and choose a default mapping. There's one for the DM10 which likely maps most triggers but you may need to have it "learn" any others (I have the DM10X which has an extra tom and crash, if I recall, so had to learn the two extras but after that it's good). The manual for AD2 is online so check it for more clear info. I love Addictive, can't play the module straight anymore :) 

As for the mesh, definitely can replace them but check if your foam cylinders under the pad are glued, you may need to gently pry them off the mesh as you remove the old one. Loads of discussion on that here, use the Search option (in the menu above, not from the Google search up in the top right). Best of luck!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline ironman187

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »
Welcome to e-drumming and the forum. If the wear on your heads is only cosmetic, just play them. Use nylon tipped sticks, and don't use a felt better on the kick.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 10:59:27 AM »
Thanks so much for the reply and awesome tips. It looks like I also have the DM10X module so I’ll have to play around with the midi mapping a bit. The kit is barely used so I’ll stick with the factory heads for now. I’ve heard that the ambient noise is pretty high with these so I may check into a mesh conversion later. Are DrumTec mesh heads hard to come by in the States? Think I read somewhere that Roland has multi ply heads patented in US so DrumTec can only sell single ply mesh?

Hi BE, welcome to the forum!

In AD2, you should be able to go to the settings and choose a default mapping. There's one for the DM10 which likely maps most triggers but you may need to have it "learn" any others (I have the DM10X which has an extra tom and crash, if I recall, so had to learn the two extras but after that it's good). The manual for AD2 is online so check it for more clear info. I love Addictive, can't play the module straight anymore :) 

As for the mesh, definitely can replace them but check if your foam cylinders under the pad are glued, you may need to gently pry them off the mesh as you remove the old one. Loads of discussion on that here, use the Search option (in the menu above, not from the Google search up in the top right). Best of luck!