Author Topic: Will Strike performance module ever sell in the US?  (Read 6413 times)

Offline Rmiller

Will Strike performance module ever sell in the US?
« on: April 15, 2018, 05:50:55 PM »
I saw where the Strike performance module is being sold in Europe at Drum-Tec for €799 (about $983US). Any rumors out there about if and when it will go on sale in the US?

Offline ChrisK

Re: Will Strike performance module ever sell in the US?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:20:37 AM »
I saw where the Strike performance module is being sold in Europe at Drum-Tec for €799 (about $983US). Any rumors out there about if and when it will go on sale in the US?

No one know, you could order from them, they will give you a quotes, the only things is, if it broke,  there is no warranty, but I saw several time no sd cards on strike module issue it might be a risk.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 12:33:30 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 07:44:52 AM »
Yeah, a little risky if no warranty. I have read where the module has had its share of problems. I want the Pearl but can’t bring myself to pay the price for it. I figured I could load a couple of AD2 kits into a Strike and call it good, wanting to break away from from the laptop. If the Pearl was about $500 cheaper I’d go for it.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 08:02:34 PM »
Yeah, a little risky if no warranty. I have read where the module has had its share of problems. I want the Pearl but can’t bring myself to pay the price for it. I figured I could load a couple of AD2 kits into a Strike and call it good, wanting to break away from from the laptop. If the Pearl was about $500 cheaper I’d go for it.

The best price for mimic is 1900USD at edrumcenter.com, some got mimic at 1740$ at https://www.interstatemusic.com/ with coupons or you can wait alesis strike module.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:16 AM »
You probably wont see it for a while.  Right now there is a shortage of new modules and there probably wont be enough to sustain aftermarket sales until all the warranty issues are sorted. 

No one know, you could order from them, they will give you a quotes, the only things is, if it broke,  there is no warranty, but I saw several time no sd cards on strike module issue it might be a risk.

what about the strike SD cards now?

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 04:15:26 PM »
what about the strike SD cards now?

Some units at power up have SD cards error need to send the module for replacement.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2018, 07:31:26 AM »
Went ahead and preordered a 2Box Drumit 3. It will do what I want and at 1/3 of the cost of the mimic.After further investigation, as for the Strike, I don’t trust it. Another thing that I don’t care for in either, is using .Wave files in the editors for sample imports for user kits (no VST conversions that I can find). What I like in the drumit3 is the ability to convert VSTi’s (not in .wav) import and have them reside in the module breaking away from the computer and since I already own AD2 with many kits, I feel this is the way to go. I am aware that modifying this module to accept 32gb card may be a problem but it seems in this world there are always compromises of some sort. No one seems to be able to make the perfect module and realizing the need to satisfy all customers may be impossible.  As always my only concern is with the hi hats and how accurate they will be. Still looking for a good controller for a high hat stand with top and bottom cymbals other than a bazillion dollar Roland. I am currently using a modified Alesis pro x controller with Jman's stealthdrums hihat trigger on muted sabians.  I welcome any suggestions for a better controller. I stayed away from the drumit5 because of the proprietary connections on some of the pads (hihat). The magnet style controller looks interesting but required to much modification on my Tama iron cobra hihat stand. I'll see how it goes with the new module.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:04:12 AM by Rmiller »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2018, 11:23:51 PM »
I am aware that modifying this module to accept 32gb card may be a problem but it seems.....

That issue has been sorted it seems...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3796.0.html
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 11:26:15 PM by Dobly »

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 05:25:05 PM »
I did see where you can do the 32gb upgrade and I ordered one. I might have misspoke concerning .wav format with the other modules. On the drumit module when using the SDSE software to create kits from VST’s to convert files to .dsnd format, by opening it in wav then renders and converts it. It really is still a wav sample though. But at an $800 price point it shines. I will miss some things on my DM10 though. It still is a great module.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 05:27:46 PM by Rmiller »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:02 PM »
You could do still the same with strike but limited 200mb per kits, 2box is higher per kits, yes you need sdse to convert to 2box format, its about 25 min a full kits, sdse resample vst to wav or 2box format. The only problem with 2box are the small lcd and calibration not intuitive, you need to understand it at 100%

Ps: MIMIC is more priced, because its run a full vst with all individual mics, larger memory allocation, articulation etc. They will have editor to imports multilayered sample and expansion pack.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 06:06:42 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2018, 07:14:54 PM »
You could do still the same with strike but limited 200mb per kits, 2box is higher per kits, yes you need sdse to convert to 2box format, its about 25 min a full kits, sdse resample vst to wav or 2box format. The only problem with 2box are the small lcd and calibration not intuitive, you need to understand it at 100%

I would take the larger kit sizes over the 'small LCD' and 'having to learn the module 100%' any day.  Every module has a learning curve. Some greater than others. 

Also, Mimic take how long to load a kit?  The 2Box D5 and D3 swapping kits is under 1 second regardless of the file sizes.

I'm after a module with VST quality sound with kit swapping speed i can use between songs on stage.

I'm gonna get me a Drumit3.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 03:43:19 AM »

I would take the larger kit sizes over the 'small LCD' and 'having to learn the module 100%' any day.  Every module has a learning curve. Some greater than others. 

Also, Mimic take how long to load a kit?  The 2Box D5 and D3 swapping kits is under 1 second regardless of the file sizes.

I'm after a module with VST quality sound with kit swapping speed i can use between songs on stage.

I'm gonna get me a Drumit3.

Mimic take 2-3 sec max per kits, for live usage it's not a problem,  because its use lots more size then drumit3 per kits, drumit3 use native wav format renamed to dnsd, mimic use vst format which lead to about 8GB per kits in native wav files. also you can use up to 24 triggers per kits, 16+ 8 via midi with mimic. The default sound in drumit3 don't sound like mimic default, not the same quality. Also the hihat with mimic use foot pressure with higher tune hihat, like Roland and even works with vh11.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 11:51:49 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 08:11:11 AM »
Mimic take 2-3 sec max per kits, for live usage it not a problem,  because its use lots more size then drumit3 per kits, drumit3 use native wav format renamed to dnsd, mimic use vst format which lead to about 8GB per kits in native wav files. also you can use up to 24 triggers per kits, 16+ 8 via midi with mimic. The default sound in drumit3 don't sound like mimic default, not the same quality. Also the hihat with mimic use foot pressure with higher tune hihat, like Roland and even works with vh11.

I don't doubt you Chris.. The Mimic is 3 times slower than the Drumit3 at loading kits but I agree, hardly an issue.

My understanding of he Drumit system is that you don't 'load' kits per se, but the software just points to the location of the file in storage and plays it from there. Hence it slams at changing kits..

Here I asked on the 2box form about kit load times.

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3803.0.html

16 + 8 via midi IS a bonus to the Mimic. I asked that question on the 2Box forum. Can I assign sounds to midi notes beyond those used by the regular kits. I got tumbleweeds and shrugged shoulders and confirmed NO.  :)

Here I am asking the question to a confused 2Box crowd.

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,3798.0.html

Anyway for me, I cannot afford a Mimic. The Drumit3 will be a huge upgrade from the DM10 and a fraction of the cost of the Mimic.

The default sound in drumit3 don't sound like mimic default, not the same quality.

This is a moot point. You don't buy a module like this to play default sounds.  I can take the sounds I was using in AD2 or SD3 and make them playable in the Drumit3. All that at a fraction of the cost of a Mimic.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »
Here here Dobly. Can't beat the price point. I refuse to pay that much for a module like the mimic even though I do believe it is the best one on the market. Still not sure about it loading 3rd party VST's directly though and keeping the VST's native format i.e. loading a kit directly from AD2 without conversion. Chris K, you say this can be done?

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 11:58:56 AM »
This is a moot point. You don't buy a module like this to play default sounds.  I can take the sounds I was using in AD2 or SD3 and make them playable in the Drumit3. All that at a fraction of the cost of a Mimic.

There is no guaranty it will sound the same as the vst with the same playability, because ripping sample is not enough, one tried from sd3, few snare worked and others had machine gunning etc.. vst use some algo\cross-fade directly from the software, I believe sd3 is much more now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:05:28 PM by ChrisK »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 12:01:39 PM »
Still not sure about it loading 3rd party VST's directly though and keeping the VST's native format i.e. loading a kit directly from AD2 without conversion. Chris K, you say this can be done?

You cannot vst have their own format will never fit on 2box, the size are larger and it's copyrighted,  re-sampling from sdse will never provide the algo from a vst software and the same playability, sdse only re-sample with its own way, some people imported snare from sd3 and sounded machine gunning in drumit3, not all worked great, it's trial and error, some will works better then others etc..
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 12:51:06 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »
I was referring to the mimic loading VST’s in their native format. I did not think it could be done and still had to be converted. I am aware of the drumit3 but the AD2 kits sound fine and can be tweaked easily in either the module or thru SDSE. The SDSE tweaking method is a little timely though. I prefer to tweak things in the module and save them back to SDSE in a kit bank. Then you can have multiple  32gb SD cards with different kit banks if you desire. That’s a lot of kits. I am sure you can do similar things and maybe more so with the mimic from what I can tell and it is probably the best module on the market, but you pay a high price for it. I can still get near the same results using most VST’s or close at almost a third of the cost. Granted it’s interface is not near as nice as the mimic’s but once things are dialed in it’s every bit as effective as the mimic if converting VST’s and using their sounds for your kits. And best of all you get away from having a computer connected when playing. Also the AD2 kits I use in the drummit3 sound pretty close to the computer connected version of AD2.

On another note, the perfect module (to me anyway) has not been created yet. It seems since all the VST software companies can write to either Mac OS or Windows (no copyright issues) and with some awesome audio interfaces on the market, that a company could come up with a module that has universal pad interface running on a windows or Mac OS platform (both , your choice) and have at least the same inputs and outputs as the mimic, and be able to load VST’s directly from the internet (just like you do on a laptop) , be able to adjust all parameters I.e. sensitivity, crosstalk etc., be able to create different mixes for different outputs similar to iConnect  or focus right audio interfaces, all in one box. Also you could get away from each modules own proprietary systems and sample formats. It would need a couple of physical multi function knobs for different mix volumes on the fly and have a touch screen similar to at least an iPad Air. And finally a multi core processor, large really fast solid state hard drive, some sort of midi I/o (just in case), usb, thunderbolt, Ethernet, WiFi, Bluetooth, and loads of memory, 48hz at 24 bit and so on. To me that would be a perfect module. All of this currently exists but each in their own boxes. I guess I could duck tape them all together. And finally at a decent price point, like no more than $1500. I can dream.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 05:31:07 PM by Rmiller »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 10:25:28 PM »
There is no guaranty it will sound the same as the vst with the same playability, because ripping sample is not enough, one tried from sd3, few snare worked and others had machine gunning etc.. vst use some algo\cross-fade directly from the software, I believe sd3 is much more now.

And what is a VST anyway? Wav files programmed into an interface that lets you alter effect and eq and parameters etc.. ..  There is nothing magic about a VST some are good an some are bad.

Machine gunning is avoided on the Drumit modules as you can have up to 127 different velocity hits, in one instrument. So unless you are actually playing with exactly the same velocity each hit, you'll not get machine gunning.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 10:30:29 PM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 11:35:07 PM »
Then you can have multiple  32gb SD cards with different kit banks if you desire. That’s a lot of kits.

Damn Rmiller.. I had not considered that... Once the mod is done and the SDCard is mounted outside the module the sky's the limit.

I know that you can take a VST instrument and rip it out to the 2Box format. But what I mentioned above is of interest.. Say you get a VST of snare drum in Addictive Drum 2 (or whatever software vst you own) and you tweak the VST's parameters, set a little reverb, tune it up half a tone, add a little compression. Get it sounding just right. Is this the version of the snare you get when you convert it to play on your Drumit module? Might have to post another question there.

Just occurred to me we have hijacked this thread about the Strike to a thread about the Drumit3 and the Mimic. Sorry about that all.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 12:57:30 AM »
Ok I just spend some time confirming this. Yes, you load the SDSE app in Reaper and then load your drum VST software. You tweak it and get it the way you want it to sound and SDSE exports it with those settings into a Drumit instrument file.

The sky is the limit with this module.

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 07:59:15 AM »
That same drumit software can be used to convert the files for the alesis strike.  You can use the 2box sdse software to convert VST samples into useable format for the Alesis strike.  Its what I used to get addictive drum samples onto my strike module.   But its actually much simpler and IMHO better to use the strike editor software. 

Some are scoffing at the idea of using Wav. files.  But the strike can one up even the drumit.  Sure you can grab things directly from a VST.  But so can the alesis.   And I bet they find a way to do the same with with the load times as the source samples are also in the strike.  They need to be.  So i wouldnt doubt if they find a work around.

But those wav files.   Most sample libraries give you those multi velocity hits.  And unlike other modules you can combine them and mix them and then auto map them to create completely new instruments from any sample library you import but also any sample and all of its velocities within the presets.   You can make a bass drum with a snare mixed in.  Or layer two or more different bass drums to combine them and make unique sounds not available anywhere.   And then you can take those freshly made instruments and layer them on top of each other a second time within the module itself.   The biggest thing against the strike are these load times and the file size limits.  Both of which I think they will find a way around.   But even the load times they really arent nearly as bad as they are made to be.  The kit is almost 100% playable just a couple seconds in.  It is just load velocity layers you may not even notice at first.   I think if they had eliminated the load time or just limited the bar to reflect only when the kit is playable it would not mess with heads so much.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:09:38 AM by Purpledc »

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 08:11:14 AM »
That’s cool. You need to share that with the Strike community. The only problem with wav is their file size. No compression which can be good or bad. I think the Strike’s interface is also better than the drummit3 but the kit sizes and load times beat the Strike hands down. Sound wise, I can’t compare since I don’t have one and YouTube videos are worthless for that. If the Strike module ever makes it to the US market, I bet it will sell for close to the same price as the drumit3 or at least it should. If it does sell at that price point It will be a great module. Based on history with Alesis I can’t count on them to continue to tweak the Strike short comings. They seem to make a lot of promises early but never follow thru. They abandon and move on to something else. I am sure it has to do with costs to continue support for a product and for how long vs working on new products for the markets. Profitability.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:26:39 AM by Rmiller »

Offline Purpledc

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 08:18:37 AM »
Here is the thing.  Most people need to play this kit to understand it.  people talk about the load times.  But it really doesn't matter.  I am playing my kit right now.  And I literally can switch to any kit in my library and it is 100% playable instantly.   I kid you not you switch to any kit from any position and the kit is instantly playable.    The load times really have nothing to do with being able to play the kit.   All it really seems designed to do is to make sure you don't save any edits or trigger settings and try to save them before they are fully loaded.  Because it saves before the samples have completely loaded.   I really do thing the alesis works the same way as the source samples need to be kept in the library after an instrument is made.  So it needs those source samples to work with just like the drummit.  But I promise you, you can play a kit immediately.  There is no waiting at all.   The problem is people see that status bar and they think it means they cant play or wont have all the pads active until its done.  That is not the case.  Just ignore it and play you will never see a difference.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:34 AM »
I would love to do what Jman does. Try everything out there, understand it and write a review.
I still think the DM10 module is still a great module with all its editing , A B layers and especially the midi control you have. When connected to a computer using VST’s it still great. The hihat (single zone) and function is its greatest flaw. I think Hihats are the most problematic with any module, and no one seems to be able to develop a good dual cymbal controller for a conventional hihat stand without modifying your equipment (and still not right) or having to pay $750 for a Roland VH13.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 09:11:42 AM by Rmiller »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 11:45:35 AM »
That same drumit software can be used to convert the files for the alesis strike.  You can use the 2box sdse software to convert VST samples into useable format for the Alesis strike.  Its what I used to get addictive drum samples onto my strike module.   But its actually much simpler and IMHO better to use the strike editor software. 

Some are scoffing at the idea of using Wav. files.  But the strike can one up even the drumit.  Sure you can grab things directly from a VST.  But so can the alesis.   And I bet they find a way to do the same with with the load times as the source samples are also in the strike.  They need to be.  So i wouldnt doubt if they find a work around.

Here is the thing.  Most people need to play this kit to understand it.  people talk about the load times.  But it really doesn't matter.  I am playing my kit right now.  And I literally can switch to any kit in my library and it is 100% playable instantly.   I kid you not you switch to any kit from any position and the kit is instantly playable.    The load times really have nothing to do with being able to play the kit.   All it really seems designed to do is to make sure you don't save any edits or trigger settings and try to save them before they are fully loaded.  Because it saves before the samples have completely loaded.   I really do thing the alesis works the same way as the source samples need to be kept in the library after an instrument is made.  So it needs those source samples to work with just like the drummit.  But I promise you, you can play a kit immediately.  There is no waiting at all.   The problem is people see that status bar and they think it means they cant play or wont have all the pads active until its done.  That is not the case.  Just ignore it and play you will never see a difference.

The loading time cancel all FX used on that kits, reverb, eq, compression etc.. the fx return when the loading time is finished, it take about 25sec for the limit of 200mb full kits.

There is few module can layers instruments, td-50 can layers all instrument together, and with imported wav, with custom velocity setting. MIMIC can layer snare and kick with any sound and imported wav.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:47:18 PM by ChrisK »