Author Topic: How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)  (Read 747 times)

How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)
« on: July 08, 2020, 06:00:43 AM »
Hi,

I have an Alesis DM10X electronic drum kit and I am wondering if it is possible to convert te sound it produces to my personal computer so that my drum teacher can "hear" what I play in real time using Skype (or another similar software program).

I know this is a specific question and my goal is to succesfully have drum lessons via videochat.

Otherwise I have to buy an expensive speaker to connect to my kit and do it that way (which is also a possibility but way more expensive).

Thanks already for answereing my question!

Kind regards,

Pluisjenl91

Offline Hellfire

Re: How to successfully use my DM10X during videochat (Skype)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 09:39:17 AM »
Hi,

I have an Alesis DM10X electronic drum kit and I am wondering if it is possible to convert te sound it produces to my personal computer so that my drum teacher can "hear" what I play in real time using Skype (or another similar software program).

I know this is a specific question and my goal is to succesfully have drum lessons via videochat.

Otherwise I have to buy an expensive speaker to connect to my kit and do it that way (which is also a possibility but way more expensive).

Thanks already for answereing my question!

Kind regards,

Pluisjenl91

Welcome to the forum Plusijenl91.

There are a few different ways to go about this. IMHO, the easiest method is to get a small audio mixer and plug your edrums in one channel and your mic in another channel. Then send that output to the mic/line in jack on your PC.

Be aware that when you monitor your output via headphone from the headphone out of your PC, there will be a noticeable delay. Some of the delay will be from your hardware and some of it will be from Skype.

As to what device/mixer to get, that's up to you. I have no recommendations on equipment.

I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:06 AM »
Hi,

Thank you very much for your suggestions! I will look at them.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 08:47:51 AM »
You can get a small Behringer mixer for about $50 with USB, connect the output of your module to it and use the mixer as an audio interface. the audio from both the computer and your module should be coming out to the headphone out of the mixer, basically you have to change your sound settings so that the sounds from your computer come out of the mixer, not sure if they will come through Skype but you can test...you can get a Focusrite audio interface for  about $100 for better results, I think both would work the same way. I unfortunately am in the middle of the ocean deployed in the Middle East so I am unable to test it at this moment, but I am sure a quick YouTube search will show you how to connect your drum module to Skype.