Equipment > Triggers and Hardware

Strike ride cymbal repair

(1/2) > >>

violaole:
Hi to everybody!
I'm trying to repair a Strike 16" ride cymbal which has the bell dead!
I opened it and the bell membrane is totally dead...
Do anyone knows if there is a way to get the bell membrane from any online store? Or should I ask directly to a local Alesis support?

Thanks!!

Chaser:

--- Quote from: violaole on September 14, 2021, 08:36:16 AM ---Hi to everybody!
I'm trying to repair a Strike 16" ride cymbal which has the bell dead!
I opened it and the bell membrane is totally dead...
Do anyone knows if there is a way to get the bell membrane from any online store? Or should I ask directly to a local Alesis support?

Thanks!!

--- End quote ---

There is no replacement membrane switch available and Alesis doesn't repair them.
You can try support but response (if any) time varies...if it's a warranty claim that would probably get a better response.

All the STRIKE cymbals (including NIB) I have repaired with bad bells (only cymbal without a Bell is the 12") ..it is not the membrane switch..it is the membrane switch connector to the PCB.Some were poorly soldered like a cold solder or raised off the board and were loose... some had the traces lifted/broke off the PCB and I had to solder jumper wires.Remove the nuts off the jacks the PCB will slide out then flip over..see if it is obviously loose.. otherwise connect the cables and wiggle the bell connector as you tap the membrane.If you re-solder be careful as in order to get the solder hot enough to flow the traces may lift or burn off...the PCB board isn't a very good quality.

violaole:
Hi Chaser!
Thanks a lot for this information!
Anyway, unfortunately, the flat cable is broken so there is anything I can do to repair it!
I also tried to re-sold it but the solder destroyed totally the flat! So... is gone!
Now, I think that the only way to not throw this cymbal away is to use it as crash, but I have to modify the wiring in order to exclude the bell zone and to deactivate one of the two TRS connectors...
Do you have any idea on how wire it to use it as a crash only?
Thanks man!!

Chaser:

--- Quote from: violaole on September 15, 2021, 02:45:40 AM ---Hi Chaser!
Thanks a lot for this information!
Anyway, unfortunately, the flat cable is broken so there is anything I can do to repair it!
I also tried to re-sold it but the solder destroyed totally the flat! So... is gone!
Now, I think that the only way to not throw this cymbal away is to use it as crash, but I have to modify the wiring in order to exclude the bell zone and to deactivate one of the two TRS connectors...
Do you have any idea on how wire it to use it as a crash only?
Thanks man!!

--- End quote ---

That's too bad.....the membrane switches are hard to work with they cannot be removed without being destroyed and once they become separated or broken and constant contact they are finished.
I attached an image of what happens with a Heavy Hitter and a 12" Hi Hat ...broken edge and separated switch..
The STRIKE switches use a conductive type paint and are similar to FSR switches

You don't need to rewire..use a dummy plug or a 3.5mm to 1/4" (6.35mm)Headphone adapter..attached

EDIT:
I forgot to mention...since you have the cymbal apart do a tape job...you'll notice a big improvement.
There is around a .030 gap from the top rubber (there is a raised section for contacting the membrane switch) to the switch before it makes contact which means you have to hit hard and accurate which is difficult with the thick rubber.
There are also a large number of Factory kits in the STRIKE module..in particularly the Ride which have only one articulation assigned to the edge
and it's at 127 velocity range.
You'll also notice an indentation/crease from wear will start to show over time..you'll see it on kits that get a lot of use.
The tape job closes the gap and you'll notice the cymbal levels out and you can use the shoulder or side of the stick instead of trying to hit with the tip or flipping the stick over to hit with the end.

This tape is exactly the same width as the membrane switch and is 1/2' x .007 thick..I have done 4 passes (=.028) and had no problem with it choking on its own. (attached)

violaole:
Hi Chaser!

Thank you very much! You are the man!!
I tested the cymbal as crash and it works normally, just needs a 1/4 jack plugged in the secondary TRS connector and it's done!

Now I have a question for the tape application on the edge membrane switch, basically what I need to do is just to apply 3-4 tape passes on the top (black plastic), no need to remove the black top plastic, correct?
Sorry for this question... maybe dummy!

Thanks a lot man!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version