Author Topic: Custom Sound Sets, Alesis v.s. Pearl, Who will be first!  (Read 17045 times)

Offline Rev2010

Re: Custom Sound Sets, Alesis v.s. Pearl, Who will be first!
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
I've seen that Alesis vid and nothing specifically signifies a loaded addon kit. I quickly checked the Pearl vid and the sound quality (overloaded camcorder mic) was so bad I just closed out.

I would really like to hear a sound sample of an addon kit as I'm sure we all would. Those vids though aren't really anything to go by unfortunately. I wonder if this whole thing will ever come to fruition or if it will just be abandoned like so many other touted upcoming features/advancements.

I remember how very very long it took Roland to release the TD-20 expansion after they'd announced it and touted a much earlier release date. It was actually over a year or two or more before it was finally released.

Rev.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2010, 10:58:33 PM »
I've seen that Alesis vid and nothing specifically signifies a loaded addon kit. I quickly checked the Pearl vid and the sound quality (overloaded camcorder mic) was so bad I just closed out.

I would really like to hear a sound sample of an addon kit as I'm sure we all would. Those vids though aren't really anything to go by unfortunately. I wonder if this whole thing will ever come to fruition or if it will just be abandoned like so many other touted upcoming features/advancements.

I remember how very very long it took Roland to release the TD-20 expansion after they'd announced it and touted a much earlier release date. It was actually over a year or two or more before it was finally released.

Rev.
Well how about this:

Pearl e-Pro Live

Go to 7:35. Gene Okamoto even states it is a memory switch kit.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:44:20 AM »
More news from Pearl Drummers Forum (or PDF for short):

Quote from: Derek Wolfford (Pearl Marketing Department)
Because you guys are the most interested, the PDF will be the first place we announce the opening of the site!

More soon...

Oddly enough, this comment was in the same topic as the announcement by Product Manager for Pearl Electronic Percussion Division Bob Sabellico, that the REDBox sound shop would be up and running on Aug 6th. I guess that wasn't an announcement. ::)

Well, here's crossing my fingers hoping they are up and running soon and not just another missed opportunity.

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 02:13:45 AM »
Pearl's REDBox soundshop website will be up Friday according to Bob Sabellico at Pearl. Hopefully Alesis will have some good news for us soon.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 01:51:50 PM »
Pearl's REDBox soundshop website will be up Friday according to Bob Sabellico at Pearl. Hopefully Alesis will have some good news for us soon.
I hope it is. I guess we will see Friday.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2010, 02:04:45 PM »

Not trying to be negative, but....  I wouldn't hold your breath.
 ::)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2010, 02:43:15 PM »

Not trying to be negative, but....  I wouldn't hold your breath.
 ::)

I'm not holding my breath on this one. I'm well a where that Bob also stated that the site would be up and running on the 6th and we see how well that turned out.

If I was being totally negative I would guess they will next state (after the site is not up and running this Friday) that they will be ready when they are ready and no time sooner. Of course if I do say that, it might be up and running this Friday and then I would be wrong again, so I will not say it. ;D

Offline Guinness

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
It would be cool if Alesis would send out a beta version to a few loyal fans...  <cough, cough> select DMDrummer members <cough, cough>

Online Hellfire

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:07 PM »
It would be cool if Alesis would send out a beta version to a few loyal fans...  <cough, cough> select DMDrummer members <cough, cough>
I really doubt that would happen. Alesis doesn't come around as much lately. It has been awhile since any of the Alesis people posted here. I know they check the site about once every two or three weeks but the last post by any Alesis person was back on June 17th. I guess that isn't really bad considering that this isn't really an Alesis site. The last update message about sound sets from Alesis was on May 14th.

Maybe Alesis will have an update in their next email news letter. Which should be coming out soon. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:34 AM »
In all honesty, I'd MUCH rather see another firmware update from Alesis over soundsets. I'd love an update that includes aftertouch support.

Rev.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »
In all honesty, I'd MUCH rather see another firmware update from Alesis over soundsets. I'd love an update that includes aftertouch support.

Rev.
One or the other would be nice. Maybe you could start a petition/poll here on DMdrummer.com for aftertouch. Might be an interesting topic even if Alesis doesn't see it/or act on it. Just a thought.

Offline Pier

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
Just a quick "off-topic" (or maybe not so "off") regarding polls: the "Members" panel lists 13 pages chocked full of members, but just 15 votes for this poll.
...Where are you all, Guys... !?! ::)

OK sorry, back to "Custom Sound Sets" mode...  :P

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
Not a bad idea Phil. But Pier has a good point... it would look a bit silly with only 15-20 responses. But hey it would gain some better responses over time I'd guess.

Rev.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 04:37:30 PM »
I agree it seems silly considering what Pier stated however, we could say that about anything we post on DMdrummer.com. I takes time to grow things. I was just looking at it as an interesting topic, not as something that would actually get any real attention. Keep in mind many more people view DMdrummer than participate.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 05:02:00 PM »
Well the poll is up. Maybe it should be stickied so it doesn't fall down out of view?  ;)

Rev.

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 04:51:01 PM »
Well, I did vote in the poll.  I don't come around so much as things have gotten pretty stagnant.  Dan from Alesis seems to be a real d#$#$# bag and has been a thorough disappointment.  I hope Alesis sh#$ cans his a## and hires somebody who is respectful and works with and for their customers.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 05:55:22 PM »
Well, I did vote in the poll.  I don't come around so much as things have gotten pretty stagnant.  Dan from Alesis seems to be a real d#$#$# bag and has been a thorough disappointment.  I hope Alesis sh#$ cans his a## and hires somebody who is respectful and works with and for their customers.

Wow.. I don't know if I'd go that far.. I'm sure they have a lot on their plates, so they may not be the cause here. Projects get reassigned by pointy haired bosses, and these guys may not be able to speak freely about the stuff they are working on.

Then again.. they should at least check in..

I'm thinking I'll be doing my 6 month review of my Dm10 pro soon - having gigged with it, and done 2 setup/teardowns a week since I got it.. what works and what doesn't, tips, tricks, etc.. hopefully that should give the alesis boys something to check in for... real world data..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

Wow I wouldn't say that! My only problem with Dan has been his absence. Any time he has been around and answered questions I believe he did it in a reasonably respectful way.  And I'm sure as someone in his position he can only give so much information to us. I also think that he probably doesn't have much say in the goings on at Alesis, but that's purely speculative. I do wish Alesis did have more involvement with the forums, but I've been to many other company's unofficial forums where that company has no representation at all besides it's userbase.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2010, 08:36:50 PM »
Well tomorrow is the big opening of the Pearl REDBox soundshop website! At least that is what Pearl has stated. I guess we will find out over the next 24 hrs.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2010, 09:31:02 PM »
Well, I did vote in the poll.  I don't come around so much as things have gotten pretty stagnant.
Really? Your last post here (before this one I'm responding to) was back on May 14. There has been about 2,000 post since then. I guess "stagnant" depends on ones point of view.

Dan from Alesis seems to be a real d#$#$# bag and has been a thorough disappointment.  I hope Alesis sh#$ cans his a## and hires somebody who is respectful and works with and for their customers.
Again, Really? Just because he doesn't come on here and tell us every little detail that Alesis is doing behind the scene doesn't make him a "d#$#$# bag". I mean I guess he could come and tell us everything but then their competition will know what they are doing. Not smart for business if you ask me. Yes, I'm upset that they have not delivered on their sounds set and most likely put them on the back burner but, I don't think Dan deserves that kind of name calling.

Offline b-radisrad

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:31 PM »
Well, I hope they release them soon. I do think it would be swell if Alesis did something similar to Pearl and do a memory switch. My only concern right now is how much are these soundsets going to cost. $5? $10? $20? $1?
I WANNA ROCK...however, not like Twisted Sister.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 09:07:26 AM »
I can't remember the source, but I remember reading somewhere that the kits were slated to be in the $20 range..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Online Hellfire

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2010, 11:07:08 AM »
Well, I just checked the REDBoxsoundshop.com and no go. I guess I will check back later and see if anything changes (I doubt it though).

And just an FYI, I thought I should check Alesis.com to see if maybe by chance there might be an update for new sound set for the DM10, Let me see......

Nope, nothing yet. :-\

Offline Guinness

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2010, 03:27:17 PM »
Boy that "COMING SOON" sure is big.  I think they should change it. 

How about?

COMING SOON!                         (maybe) :P                                         COMING SOON!                         (maybe) :P                                         COMING SOON!                         (maybe) :P

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
Nah, this would be better:

wE'z hAvIn sUm TeChNicAls DiFficulTznEsS!

Rev.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:39:04 PM by Rev2010 »