Author Topic: Trying to decide between Alesis and Roland  (Read 2213 times)

Trying to decide between Alesis and Roland
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:14:47 PM »
I'm having a hell of a time trying to decide between an Alesis DM10X and a Roland TD-9.  My biggest concern are the pads.  I've heard that the Alesis pads are similar to hitting a wooden board, if that's the case then I'm not interested.  I would love to try them myself, but no one in my area seems to have any Alesis models on display to demo. 

My background is strictly acoustic drums, this is my first venture into E-Kits.  So if the Alesis pads come anywhere close to a real drum set as far as feel, then I'm sold.  I particularly like the fact that the Alesis pad size more resembles that of a real kit than the Roland. 

So can someone please give me an honest answer on the feel of the Alesis pads.  Thank you

Greg

Re: Trying to decide between Alesis and Roland
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »
Alesis pads are fine imo if you do the mesh conversion. With the mylar heads it is very hard. Mesh provides a gentler, quieter and more professional feel. I'd definitely go Alesis as I'm sure the price is different too.

Offline Trondster

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 09:47:22 PM »
The Alesis module requires that you spend some quality time with the trigger settings - they are awful out of the box. If you want something that just works out of the box - go for Roland. If you are prepared to spend some time with the module, the Dm10 has a lot of functionality for the money.
DM10 Pro kit with dampened rack, extra crashes, mesh heads, Gibraltar stands, P2002C and a dream cherry snare by Diamond Drums.

Offline Pier

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 02:34:26 AM »
+1 !  :)

Offline So-Kal

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 06:01:36 AM »
If I had my time again, I'd go for 2Box or that new Italian kit......

A bit more money than the Alesis kits, but not as much as the Rolands.

The DM10 pads benefit massively from the mesh conversion (it's night and day stuff and should be considered as a 'must do' for anyone used to the feel of acoustic kits) and, for my money, the module's kit sounds, whilst very good for the price point, sound very poor as soon as you hook up a VST and play some proper samples and make the comparison.

The final nail in the coffin is the lack of R&D from Alesis - this forum provides more help than the manufacturer and that's not likely to change.

I'll stick with my DM10 as I can't afford to change it, but I can't hand on heart say I'd recommend it unless budget was the deciding factor
Standard DM10 - played with passion!

Greg

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 03:30:38 AM »
Alesis is strange. They have poor customer relations and don't seem to interested in listening to consumers opinions. Like they do.
n't really care about us. The only reason I stay is their prices and this site. If u do your homework u can have a very nice kit and not be broke. But dmdrummer is invaluable for so many of us. alesis has good stuff they just dont seem to care about customer convienence.

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
Alesis is strange. They have poor customer relations and don't seem to interested in listening to consumers opinions. Like they do.
n't really care about us. The only reason I stay is their prices and this site. If u do your homework u can have a very nice kit and not be broke. But dmdrummer is invaluable for so many of us. alesis has good stuff they just dont seem to care about customer convienence.

I agree and have to think it's part of their business strategy. To keep prices low and units flying off the shelves, they can't spend much on customer support or relations. If you really have a defect or an issue, they will help, but on their terms.

For some this is disconcerting, but for myself - and I suspect many other Alesis users are in the same boat - there are some good reasons for choosing an Alesis kit:

- Switching from an acoustic set, it's hard to justify spending 2-3 times as much on an electronic set which ultimately will fall short of the feel and response we're used to from acoustic drums. Not to mention the sound system required to get close to the punch and clarity of real live drums.

- Acoustic drums don't "just work, out of the box". Many of us have spent years trying different heads, sticks, cymbals, foam, pedals, tape, gadgets and hardware on our drums. It's a labor of love. Having played many different people's acoustic sets, you realize that every one is a bit different. There are hundreds of different preferences. So when people bitch that their electronic kits don't feel just like "an acoustic kit", I have to wonder - who's acoustic kit is it supposed to feel like? I'm a fan of Sonor acoustics. I've never called Sonor to ask how to tune their drums. I figured it out on my own (and was taught, and read articles on the subject). So converting to mesh heads and tweaking settings on a DM-10 isn't that daunting. I would want to customize things anyways.   

So the money issue is big - but the decision is also about considering your expectations of the product, and ultimately, being happy with what you have. :)   
E-drum setup: Alesis DM10 Module, S&S Industries Stinger XL snare & Stinger P1 toms, Alesis DMPad cymbals, Roland PD-8 & KD-7, Gibraltar rack/hardware, Tama hardware, Hart Maxxum/Magnum Mesh Heads, Roland KC-350 amp, Audio Technica ATH-M50s headphones