Author Topic: Well lets get started  (Read 5228 times)

Well lets get started
« on: October 03, 2009, 11:32:42 AM »
Hello all,

I have some questions along the way of my a -> e conversion and while i am in the process of transforming my drums with triggers and such I though i would ask some questions about modules. 

I currently have Alesis trigger i/o, Alesis D4, and yoki dd908.  I am wanting to utilize all of these modules. to gain some more inputs and for the sounds along with using the i/o in bfd lite and ez drummer. 

My questions are these. 

1. How do i go about linking all the modules together?  Do i just just the midi out on the i/o as this is where i have my drums run into?

2.  My cross talk right now is beyond belief.  When i start to try and figure it out the i/o just starts cycling through numbers.  Any info on why?

These are just my starting questions as i am still in the process of learning about all the ins and outs of a->e drumming and i am loving all of it.

Thanks to hellfire for some of the info he has given me so far about the alesis products.

Thanks
JW

Online Hellfire

Re: Well lets get started
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 09:22:31 PM »
Hello all,

I have some questions along the way of my a -> e conversion and while i am in the process of transforming my drums with triggers and such I though i would ask some questions about modules. 

I currently have Alesis trigger i/o, Alesis D4, and yoki dd908.  I am wanting to utilize all of these modules. to gain some more inputs and for the sounds along with using the i/o in bfd lite and ez drummer. 

My questions are these. 

1. How do i go about linking all the modules together?  Do i just just the midi out on the i/o as this is where i have my drums run into?
Are you only planning on using the Trigger I/O with your computer? Or do you plan on using all the modules? When using all of those module without a computer, you will need to use the midi connections. Will you be using all of the inputs from all the modules? If you are, be sure that all inputs have there own midi note number assigned to it. With that said, I don't think (not 100% sure, so check your manual) you can assign midi note numbers on the Yoki. The midi notes are hard coded to the sounds in a Yoki module. So, in order to change the midi note you would have to change the sound. Just something to keep in mind.

If you plan on using all three with your computer (which you can do), you will need to daisy-chain the midi aswell.

2.  My cross talk right now is beyond belief.  When i start to try and figure it out the i/o just starts cycling through numbers.  Any info on why?

I have never heard of that. Are you saying that when you go to the cross talk setting on the Trigger I/O that it just cycles through numbers without you doing anything? Very odd. Are you sure your value buttons aren't stuck?

These are just my starting questions as i am still in the process of learning about all the ins and outs of a->e drumming and i am loving all of it.

Thanks to hellfire for some of the info he has given me so far about the alesis products.

Thanks
JW
I'm glad you found some of my stuff helpful and I'm glad you found DMdrummer.com.  :). Please keep us updated on your progress. And remember: Pictures, Pictures, & more Pictures. ;D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 08:53:20 PM »
Anything new yet?

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 12:15:31 PM »
We are getting there.  Finished all the staining of the drums, painting the hardware and making the foam cubes for the piezo's.  Today I start soldering the wires to the piezo's and the stereo connector. 

Just looking for the diagram for alesis modules for the stero jack's.  Any help on that would be great.  I am only going to run dual piezo's on the snare for rim and head.  Maybe do the others as well but not a need really at this time.  Have not had much time to work on the modules yet but plan to do that soon.

Any help with the diagram would be awsome. 

Thanks
JW

Offline audiopat

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 03:17:49 PM »
Hey man, great to hear you're making progress! I hope this post finds you in time. To wire two triggers to a single input on the IO, use the TIP of the jack as the positive for piezo 1, the ring of the jack for piezo 2. Use the sleeve of the jack for the ground of BOTH piezos. Easy!   
I'm on my phone, so I can't post a diagram. Good luck, and lets see some pics soon!
Pat

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 07:55:47 PM »
Here's a wiring diagram you can use:

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:37:39 AM »
Thanks to the both of you.

I will get back after it this coming weekend and get a few more things done.

I did get the snare and bass drum close to being finished and they look good.  Slowly at a time i will get it.

JW

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 07:20:08 AM »
Well here is the final step.

I am wanting to hook all 2 or three units to a computer to trigger all 13 pads.  I know as we have stated the yoki most likely has a note preset for each drum.  I'm working on finding this out.  So for now i really want the alesis i/0 and the d4 to trigger to the computer. Any help on how to go about doing this.  I know we talked about daisy chaining them together.  Should i not use the usb out from the io and only use the midi to usb cable from the d4?

Also I am having a hell of a time getting my high hat pedal to work at all.  It is a on off type pedal from the original yoki set.  I am going to up grade sometime.  I cannot get it to read into the IO, i know it works because i plugged it into the yoki and it registered just fine.  can i plug this into the d4 and the cymbals into the io?

Thanks for all the help and the pictures are going to be coming.  There is a lot of them.

Jesse

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 10:50:07 AM »
Well here is the final step.

I am wanting to hook all 2 or three units to a computer to trigger all 13 pads.  I know as we have stated the yoki most likely has a note preset for each drum.  I'm working on finding this out.

You just need to look in the manual. If you don't have a manual I put a pdf doc with this post. It's for a Pintech drum kit, but I believe it is the same module.

So for now i really want the alesis i/0 and the d4 to trigger to the computer. Any help on how to go about doing this.  I know we talked about daisy chaining them together.  Should i not use the usb out from the io and only use the midi to usb cable from the d4?

That's up to you. How many cables do you want running to your computer? If you plug the Trigger I/O into the D4 you only need to run one cable to the computer. You can't run the D4 into the Trigger I/O because the I/O has no MIDI in jack.

Also I am having a hell of a time getting my high hat pedal to work at all.  It is a on off type pedal from the original yoki set.  I am going to up grade sometime.  I cannot get it to read into the IO, i know it works because i plugged it into the yoki and it registered just fine.  can i plug this into the d4 and the cymbals into the io?
Well, you will need to configure it in the I/O. Chances are your MIDI notes are not set correctly. I assume you are using software for your sounds. What midi notes on the hi-hat is the software looking for? Just match the midi notes in the I/O. How to do that is in the I/O's manual on page 17.

Thanks for all the help and the pictures are going to be coming.  There is a lot of them.

Jesse
I'm looking forward to see all you pictures. Let us know.

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 07:47:37 PM »
Well i got everything hooked up and the drums trigger great sensitivity wise but i can not get the 2 extra toms running to the d4 to trigger in superior or toon track.

I am also getting the wrong drums triggering when i hit them in the software.  I'm now again a newbie when it comes to mapping the drums to trigger right as well as changing the midi notes in the module.

I guess if i explain it will help me plus let you know what i'm looking for....

right now i have all 10 inputs on the i/o triggering in the software.  my other 2 toms into the d4 are not triggering.  I have both running into the computer but i think i am going to switch and have only the d4 running into the computer via a usb/midi cable as i am going to be adding more drums to the set.  I want to basically assign and remap the drums to trigger correctly but i cannot find info on how to do this.  I have looked over the manuals many times and still cannot figure this out.  I imagine it is easy.  also the same thing when it comes to the high hat. 

any step by step would be awesome as i can learn as i go based on a template so to speak.

Thanks again to hellfire and all the members on dmdrummer for the continued help.

JW