Author Topic: DIY 1/2″ Mounting Rod  (Read 4926 times)

Online Hellfire

DIY 1/2″ Mounting Rod
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:35:20 PM »
A lot of drum pads/triggers tend to mount on a standard 1/2" mounting rod. I came up with a cost effective way to build your own and here's a peek:
For more info on this project, check out: DIY 1/2″ Mounting Rod over at Hellfire Drums.

(gig tested and drummer approved  ;D)

Offline rockdude

Re: DIY 1/2″ Mounting Rod
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 04:28:58 AM »
Looks professional and sturdy. Thumbs up!

Offline KnipeDrums

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:38 PM »
Phil, is there a cost effective way to knurl that rod? I am just curious. I remember someone telling me how to knurl prior and I cant remember whether it was too costly or cost effective for home use. T
Yamaha DtxTreme 3, Roland SPD30

www.KnipeDrums.com
www.DTXDrummers.com

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 03:33:05 PM »
Phil, is there a cost effective way to knurl that rod? I am just curious. I remember someone telling me how to knurl prior and I cant remember whether it was too costly or cost effective for home use. T
Leave it to you to find the one flaw with a design. :)

Not really. You would need a lathe (with a knurling tool) to knurl the rod. I remember knurling shafts back in high school and I just can't see an easy way to do it. You could try grinding groves (vertical) in the rod. Unless you have good tooling it's going to look sloppy. If someone has a better way, I'm all ears. ;D

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 04:25:30 PM »
I have a lathe and Knurling tool ;)  No hardened steel though.  Case harden after.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:27:32 PM by Marc Bergmueller »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 05:20:44 PM »
I have a lathe and Knurling tool ;)  No hardened steel though.  Case harden after.
Well, the bolts I used are just mild steel, so you should have no problem knurling them. If you decide to give it a try, please post some pictures.  :)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:51:53 AM »
Another way, if you have a drill press and dremel tool, would be to chuck the bolt in the the press.  Clamp the chuck so it doesn't spin(of course don't turn the drill on). clamp the dremel with a cut off wheel on the table so the edge of the wheel just touches the bolt centerline.  turn on the dremel and lower the bolt, cutting a shallow slot on the headless bolt.   Unclamp the drillpress chuck and rotate a little bit.  Repeat.
  Or pay for shipping and I send you some knurled ones, Hellfire and Tom.  They might rust though

Online Hellfire

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 09:29:48 AM »
Honestly, I don't see the need to knurl these rods. I actually use one in my setup with a Roland PD-9 attached to it. It doesn't move once tightened down. I think the fact that the headless bolt is mild steel helps with the gripping process. The knurl would make it look nice however.

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2009, 03:41:37 PM »
i agree with phil non-harden steel in a plastic clamp wouldn't require knurling . Im thinking of using  6160 aluminum rod and knurling it then anodizing it in one of 25 color choices i have. Would be lighter but just as strong and have a nice billet look to it , then attach a poly round ball and make a clamp so you have a swivel action which would give you more adjustablity.
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity