Author Topic: Simmons SD2000--Anybody hear anything else?  (Read 6139 times)

Offline DannyM

Simmons SD2000--Anybody hear anything else?
« on: May 11, 2017, 05:57:39 PM »
Hello Everyone. A while back, I saw a few post about Simmons coming out with a new mesh kit on this site, but no pictures were available, GC and Sweetwater took the ad down, but I clicked on Hellfire's original post and the images came up. Just wondering if anyone has heard any thing else out there.
also, what size drum stick do folks use with a mesh head? I am using a nylon tip 5a, but just wondering what most folks use.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Simmons/5-PIECE-ELECTRONIC-KlT-WITH-MESH-PADS.gc

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:37:10 PM by DannyM »

Offline ChrisK

Re: Simmons SD2000--Amybody hear anything else?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 06:15:40 PM »
Module Pic

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:18:34 PM by ChrisK »

Offline DannyM

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Looks nice, wonder what is going on that the info was pulled and is so hard to find. I kept looking for a few weeks but the images were always gone or the page no longer existed until today. Holler if you hear something.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 06:35:09 PM »
But I still think it's Medeli module type\pad
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 06:36:48 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:40:30 PM »
Now this is what I'm talking about.

Simmons is paying homage to their heritage with this look and it is awesome!

I'm not sure about the medeli thing. I don't know of any current medeli module with a color screen or both types of USB inputs.

I'm sorry ChrisK but I think more info is needed before we just assume medeli because of what they have done in the past.

I would love to try this kit out.

Offline DannyM

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 06:53:17 PM »
The rack looks longer than the SD 1500 and when you posted the original link, I googled the term "Simmons SD2000" using advance search, it looks like GC would also sell the pieces separately, as if you could purchase the core kit as is, with room to grow if you wish to expand. That would be fantastic for folks on a budget.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 07:14:10 PM by DannyM »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
That kick tower looks really good. I'm glad they decided to go with a larger trigger for the kick. It gives good stage presence.

Look, I know a lot of the hard core edrummers are not going to be excited about this kit just because it looks electronic but, to me that's the appeal of it. It looks like Simmons.

Remember back in April Guitar Center had a price of $1299.99 listed for this kit and ship date of 7/17/17. At $1300.00 this looks like one heck of a deal.
I own the SD1500 and the rack on the new SD2000 is an upgraded version of that rack (which BTW, is a great rack).

The module looks very robust. Function buttons and the Color screen (Photoshoped into the image from the looks of it) that appears to have a lot of info listed in it.  Looks as if you can add a fourth tom and a second crash.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 07:48:36 PM »
I'm sorry ChrisK but I think more info is needed before we just assume medeli because of what they have done in the past.

Maybe, but I would not surprised if its another Medeli, keep in mind, they improve their stuff as well with time.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:25 PM »

I'm not sure about the medeli thing. I don't know of any current medeli module with a color screen or both types of USB inputs.

Maybe, but I would not surprised if its another Medelin.

It could be. But if it is, this is a big change for Medeli.

At a price point of $1300.00 I doubt it will have any major sound import function other than maybe a single shot wav files. Heck even the highest end Medeli module can import single shot wav files. If it has a really good sound engine with a lot of acoustic drum samples (like the SD1000 did) I doubt many will feel the module is lacking in any way.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »

Maybe, but I would not surprised if its another Medelin.

It could be. But if it is, this is a big change for Medeli.

At a price point of $1300.00 I doubt it will have any major sound import function other than maybe a single shot wav files. Heck even the highest end Medeli module can import single shot wav files. If it has a really good sound engine with a lot of acoustic drum samples (like the SD1000 did) I doubt many will feel the module is lacking in any way.

Also another option, from China there is lots of Edrum with all sort of modules, pad etc.. they could get these, they only change the name easily from China production.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:05:41 PM by ChrisK »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
Also another option, from China there is lots of Edrum with all sort of modules, pad etc.. they could get these, they only change the name easily from China production.

But that doesn't necessarily mean it is just some off the shelf drum kit. For instance, the Simmons SD1000 (yes was standard medeli module hardware) had a totally custom OS and sound engine. The SD1000 had "Variable Attack Response technology" (very similar to the "Dynamic Articulation" from Alesis for the DM10) yet there was no Medeli module that had this in it. Simmons reprogrammed the whole module (not just the sounds). If the SD2000 is a rebrand of some kind, I'm sure Simmons totally customized the programming. Heck, we already know the rack isn't a rebrand nor are the pads from what I can tell.

Look, I know everyone just looks at the module but, the SD2000 looks to be a rock solid (build wise) kit. This isn't something to over look. I don't know many edrum makers that have that solid of a rack system especially at a price point of $1300.00. This is built to travel from show to show. You can just tell by looking at it. And yes the clamp are metal (not plastic)

« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:27:48 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Simmons SD2000--Anybody hear anything else?
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
Did anyone notice the cymbals? That's right, no pass through mount. This is a huge. I have said for many years now that the problem with eCymbals is the fact they mount like an acoustic cymbal. What's the problem with that you might be thinking? Well, if you can't mount your piezo in the very center of the trigger, you will never have even triggering around it. Not to mention, I hate it when I accidentally hit the wing nut on my eCymbals when I'm trying to hit the bell. That is no longer and issue with the SD2000.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
No really impressed by the demo, annoying sample repeat. Strike is above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhe0Xy59VkU
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 01:53:35 AM by ChrisK »

Offline Failed Muso

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:23 PM »
No really impressed by the demo, it sound 2 sample shots instruments, very annoying sample repeat. Strike is above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhe0Xy59VkU

I thought it sounded awful. I mean, REALLY awful. And literally everything is hexagonal. The pads, the module, the frame, the holes in the cymbals. I bet the drummer was sat on a hexagonal seat! ;)
Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit, Alesis DM10 Module, Alesis PercPad, Yamaha DTXpress Kit, Mattel Synsonics, Toontrack Superior Drummer 2

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2017, 08:57:07 AM »
Manual is here
http://simmonsdrums.net/downloads/#wav-file
http://simmonsdrums.net/sd2000-mesh-head-electronic-drum-kit/

Yes it is.

Also, for those interested I had a chance to test a Simmons SD2000 kit. Here's a link to the quick video I put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulDO6SBQFJc

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »
nice, btw the sound editor is at simmons web site.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 11:26:54 AM »
nice, btw the sound editor is at simmons web site.

Yep. I know. I actually did that video the day before Simmons released the software. I'm hoping to play around with it today.

Offline Pier

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 06:25:08 AM »
Phil, thanks a lot for the Youtube video!

Really cool and I think that the sounds in YOUR video are way better than the ones on the original...
Look like a very interesting kit. Now I cannot wait to compare it with the DM10 MK II  :P
Hope that Alesis will put SOON the owner manual up to download...

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 03:54:39 AM »
Does anyone know if the SD2000 is available in the UK?
I've been looking on the US sites - some of them don't seem to list the kit, one of them shows UK pricing but says it doesn't ship to UK.....
I know opinion is split on this kit, but it looks of interest to me, but there's no point looking into in depth if I can't get hold of it..

Thanks
Paul

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:01 AM »
Does anyone know if the SD2000 is available in the UK?
I've been looking on the US sites - some of them don't seem to list the kit, one of them shows UK pricing but says it doesn't ship to UK.....
I know opinion is split on this kit, but it looks of interest to me, but there's no point looking into in depth if I can't get hold of it..

Thanks
Paul

I really don't know Paul. I'll post the question over at SDdrummer.com and see if anyone over there has any info.

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2018, 02:36:12 PM »
Thanks for picking this up Hellfire - but I've just snagged myself a good deal on some second hand 2Box gear - not a full kit yet, but enough to make my decision to go that way.
So I'm no longer looking at the Simmons kit...…

Thank anyway, and look forward to seeing you over at the 2box forums as I get into my new project :)