Author Topic: 16" acoustic bass drum conversion  (Read 2944 times)

Offline Dobly

16" acoustic bass drum conversion
« on: July 27, 2019, 03:06:49 AM »
Been a while since my last DIY project.

I came into possession of this small kids kit when my son spotted it in someone's junk on the footpath ready for council cleanup.

Here is in among my 'to do' projects.

That bass drum is 16". Has bass drum hoops and 6 lugs!! Most kids kits have 4.

First task was pull off all the hardware. I was impressed by the little black plastic holders on each lug. They hold the lug in position even without screws. These lugs will clean up nicely. No rust. They just need a clean.

Even the bearing edges are in good condition.

I got to ripping off the wrap. I have ordered wrap to match my kit.  This gives me a good opportunity to do this job right. As you'll see below.

The wrap has a 'PERCUSSION' sticker on it. I'll try to save that and add it do the final product as a nod to the kit it came off. Don't like my chances.

Quite a nice little shell once I got the wrap off.

Next I cut 2 bits of this angle stuff to the right size to fit inside the shell.

In the middle of one of them I cut...

Then using pliers and a file I removed that section and filed it flat. (This show was before I filed it)

Then lay it all out for a look..

That's all for now. Next task is to bolt that metal disk to the cross frames. That will make the entire frame very solid. Then, I need to bolt L brackets to the end of each bit to bolt it to the shell.

The advantage I have with this is that I am changing the wrap anyway. So, I can bolt this to any place on the shell. And just use countersunk screws on the outside so they are flush with the shell for wrapping. If are not changing our wrap, this method will works. The L brackets I am going to add can be bolted to a lug.. You may want to be careful but. I can make this one simple X shape. Had I used the lug screw method this frame would have to be a different shape to match the position of the 6 lugs.

More on this project as it unfolds. I have a bass drum riser and legs on order. I have contacted the mob I got my drum wrap from before but they have not responded yet. Could be a few weeks before this is finished.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 03:12:29 AM by Dobly »

Offline Dobly

Re: 16" acoustic bass drum conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:20:45 AM »
Update on this. Everything is on order. Gibraltar bits from my local music shop (l like to support local business) and THE matching drum wrap from the USA (or where ever it come from).

https://precisiondrum.com/high-quality-musical-drum-products/drum-specials/

Ocean Oyster

Offline Dobly

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:17:06 PM »
Finished..

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 11:13:33 AM »
oh MAN what a beautiful outcome!! Gorgeous!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »
Wow, that is a gorgeous kit.
Had to sell a car for my Alesis Strike but I’m ok with it.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 12:56:02 AM »
Thanks all. It sure has come a long way from its DM10x beginnings.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 11:06:21 AM »
So cool! I love it!!!

For anyone new here, he also made the multipad in that image, as well as did the conversions on the rest of the pads. Very, VERY cool!!!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist