Author Topic: Alesis SR18 as sound module for Strike Pro  (Read 1112 times)

Alesis SR18 as sound module for Strike Pro
« on: January 12, 2021, 08:49:50 PM »
Greetings from Costa Rica.
I´ve been playing live for more than 20 years using an SR16 and later an SR18 as sound modules for a DrumKat (incredible little machine) on top of my acoustic drums. I recently purchased a Strike Pro and even though the module is pretty powerful, I would like to hook up my SR18 using Midi or USB to the Strike Pro I guess that using the Strike module as an interface. I have read both manuals and I just can´t make it work. Can someone please help me?
 :-\

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis SR18 as sound module for Strike Pro
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 10:13:39 PM »
Greetings from Costa Rica.
I´ve been playing live for more than 20 years using an SR16 and later an SR18 as sound modules for a DrumKat (incredible little machine) on top of my acoustic drums. I recently purchased a Strike Pro and even though the module is pretty powerful, I would like to hook up my SR18 using Midi or USB to the Strike Pro I guess that using the Strike module as an interface. I have read both manuals and I just can´t make it work. Can someone please help me?
 :-\

You won't find that info in the manuals...
You will need 5 pin MIDI cables and decide in which order and if you want to control  1,2 or  all in a MIDI loop..

As of v1.5 The module factory setting is OMNI..You can set the Module to receive on standard drum channel 10..(UTILITY > MIDI)
This is a GLOBAL setting..ALL VOICES WILL RECEIVE MIDI ON THIS CHANNEL...you can also enable or disable MIDI THRU and if NOTE OFF is sent....

Each VOICE has a separate MIDI channel and a MIDI note setting..
The MIDI channel setting is for outgoing MIDI...not incoming..incoming is set GLOBALLY under UTILITY.
The MIDI NOTE setting is the same NOTE assignment for both IN/Receive and OUT/Send.
For example If you assign 38 for the Snare..The VOICE will trigger if MIDI NOTE 38 is received..and also send out MIDI NOTE 38.Another example..you could set the Snare VOICE to MIDI Channel 1 and the Kick VOICE to MIDI Channel 2...and the SR16 set to receive the MIDI NOTE assigned on MIDI Channel 1 and the SR18 set to receive the MIDI NOTE assigned on MIDI Channel 2.

Select a Trigger...
Then Press Voice > FX/MIDI > MIDI..
From there you can assign/change the MIDI NOTE and also select a MIDI Channel for outgoing midi.
Once again.. Voices automatically receive MIDI at whichever MIDI CHANNEL was assigned under UTILITY which is a GLOBAL assignment.

For more info on the default MIDI map etc see this Topic..it's a couple years old but not much has changed

STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller

Offline Den

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 03:53:20 PM »
I have followed this post and the other post mentioned and am having trouble.
My Strike module has arrived. I want to use the Strike module along with my DM10 MKII Pro module but cannot get it to work.
The Strike module is running V1.5.
Strike Midi Out is connected to DM10 MKII Pro Midi In. (I have tried various Midi cables).
The DM10 MKII Pro Utility doesn’t show the Midi Channel so I have assumed it is Channel 10. I have tried all 16 channels in the Strike Utility.
The DM10 MKII Pro other Midi settings are:
Soft Through – ON
Local Ctrl – ON
GM Mode – OFF
Prog Change RX – OFF
Prog Change TX – OFF

The Strike settings are:
Midi Channel - 10 (but as previously said I have tried all 16.
MIDI Through – Enabled
There is no setting for Note Off in the Utility.

I have created a Strike User Kit for when playing DM10 MKII Pro kits. At the moment there is only 1 trigger set – Snare Head.
The settings for the Snare Head are:
Layers A and B voices set to None
Each Voice set to Channel 10
Voice Midi notes set to those of the DM10 MKII Pro (however the Strike notes are shown differently, for instance the Strike Snare Drum shows 038 D1 whereas the DM10 MKII Pro shows only 38 for the Snare Head.
Gate Time – 1/16
Note Off – Not Sent.

Both modules are switched on, the Strike module recognises the triggers but the DM10 MKII Pro module does not.

Can anyone please tell me what have I done wrong.
Thanks

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 05:01:58 PM »
I have followed this post and the other post mentioned and am having trouble.
My Strike module has arrived. I want to use the Strike module along with my DM10 MKII Pro module but cannot get it to work.
The Strike module is running V1.5.
Strike Midi Out is connected to DM10 MKII Pro Midi In. (I have tried various Midi cables).
The DM10 MKII Pro Utility doesn’t show the Midi Channel so I have assumed it is Channel 10. I have tried all 16 channels in the Strike Utility.
The DM10 MKII Pro other Midi settings are:
Soft Through – ON
Local Ctrl – ON
GM Mode – OFF
Prog Change RX – OFF
Prog Change TX – OFF

The Strike settings are:
Midi Channel - 10 (but as previously said I have tried all 16.
MIDI Through – Enabled
There is no setting for Note Off in the Utility.

I have created a Strike User Kit for when playing DM10 MKII Pro kits. At the moment there is only 1 trigger set – Snare Head.
The settings for the Snare Head are:
Layers A and B voices set to None
Each Voice set to Channel 10
Voice Midi notes set to those of the DM10 MKII Pro (however the Strike notes are shown differently, for instance the Strike Snare Drum shows 038 D1 whereas the DM10 MKII Pro shows only 38 for the Snare Head.
Gate Time – 1/16
Note Off – Not Sent.

Both modules are switched on, the Strike module recognises the triggers but the DM10 MKII Pro module does not.

Can anyone please tell me what have I done wrong.
Thanks

Try turning Soft Through to OFF..this relays MIDI IN  to the MIDI OUT port...bypassing the Module
D1 is the corresponding Key on a Piano Roll for the MIDI note #38.

EDIT: added link
https://computermusicresource.com/midikeys.html

« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 05:25:37 PM by Chaser »