Author Topic: Low tom not triggering using Melodics app  (Read 1178 times)

Low tom not triggering using Melodics app
« on: December 11, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »
Hey Everyone, I hope I have chosen the right place to post.

I have just started using the Meoldics App and so far, it has been good but now I have progressed from using just the hi-hats, snare and kick to introducing the toms I have a problem with my low tom in that it is not triggering so I can't see my performance on the screen as I play.

All of the other voices are triggering perfectly, it is just the low tom that is not.

Melodics have not been very helpful and as they are in Aukland and I am in the UK, I have to wait a long time to get any replies.

I have reset my kit to factory/default settings and reverted all mapping as advised but it hasn't helped.

I have the Alesis Strike kit which is a recognised device so I don't need to map manually however I did try mapping the low tom to see what would happen. The result was, I recovered the low tom but lost the hi-hats so that was no use either.

If anyone at all has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you as this is driving me crazy.

Stay safe everyone!

Carole aka drummerlady62

Offline Chaser

Re: Low tom not triggering using Melodics app
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 12:36:59 PM »
Hey Everyone, I hope I have chosen the right place to post.

I have just started using the Meoldics App and so far, it has been good but now I have progressed from using just the hi-hats, snare and kick to introducing the toms I have a problem with my low tom in that it is not triggering so I can't see my performance on the screen as I play.

All of the other voices are triggering perfectly, it is just the low tom that is not.

Melodics have not been very helpful and as they are in Aukland and I am in the UK, I have to wait a long time to get any replies.

I have reset my kit to factory/default settings and reverted all mapping as advised but it hasn't helped.

I have the Alesis Strike kit which is a recognised device so I don't need to map manually however I did try mapping the low tom to see what would happen. The result was, I recovered the low tom but lost the hi-hats so that was no use either.

If anyone at all has any suggestions, I would love to hear from you as this is driving me crazy.

Stay safe everyone!

Carole aka drummerlady62

MELODICS uses GM Standard mapping..quite a few of the Alesis modules have a GM Mode option...the STRIKE module doesn't...change the MIDI notes in the STRIKE module to match the GM MIDI chart or  go to the “Settings” screen in Melodics™ and choose “Map your controller“ and enter the STRIKE module MIDI notes and save..GM Standard mapping doesn't have dual zone Hi Hat or edges,rims MIDI notes so you can either assign the same note to bow/edge or switch notes around for the bow/edge etc.I don't have a Melodics MIDI map of the STRIKE so I don't know exactly what they do for multiple zones or if all the GM standard notes actually have an instrument assigned to them...maybe you can assign some of the exotic sounds to the rims an example would be 73 Short Guiro = 73 Tom 4 rim etc...
it only takes just a few minutes to map ..then you are done..

GM STANDARD

35 Acoustic Bass Drum    
36 Bass Drum    
37 Side Stick        
38 Acoustic Snare        
39 Hand Clap    
40 Electric Snare    
41 Low Floor Tom    
42 Closed Hi Hat    
43 High Floor Tom    
44 Pedal Hi-Hat    
45 Low Tom    
46 Open Hi-Hat    
47 Low-Mid Tom    
48 Hi Mid Tom    
49 Crash Cymbal 1    
50 High Tom    
51 Ride Cymbal 1    
52 Chinese Cymbal    
53 Ride Bell     
54 Tambourine    
55 Splash Cymbal    
56 Cowbell    
57 Crash Cymbal 2    
58 Vibraslap
59 Ride Cymbal 2
60 Hi Bongo
61 Low Bongo
62 Mute Hi Conga
63 Open Hi Conga
64 Low Conga
65 High Timbale
66 Low Timbale
67 High Agogo
68 Low Agogo
69 Cabasa
70 Maracas
71 Short Whistle
72 Long Whistle
73 Short Guiro
74 Long Guiro
75 Claves
76 Hi Wood Block
77 Low Wood Block
78 Mute Cuica
79 Open Cuica
80 Mute Triangle
81 Open Triangle

The following midi map is for the STRIKE module trigger/inputs

07-HH EDGE
08-HH BOW
22-HH PEDAL
28-Crash 3 BOW
36-Kick
38-Snare HEAD
40-Snare RIM
41-Tom 4 HEAD
43-Tom 3 HEAD
47-Tom 2 HEAD
48-Crash 1 BOW
49-Crash 1 EDGE
50-Tom 1 HEAD
51-Ride BOW
53-Ride BELL
55-Crash 3 EDGE
57-Crash 2 EDGE
59-Ride EDGE
60-Crash 2 BOW
73-Tom 4 RIM
75-Tom 3 RIM
80-Tom 2 RIM
82-Tom 1 RIM

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 02:53:56 PM »
Many thanks for your help. The MIDI settings on my module all match those on the list so I have tried to map manually. I was successful with the floor tom however the hi-hats are giving an error message saying that my device is sending unexpected notes and to perform a factory reset. Unfortunately, the factory reset has not made any difference so now I have working low tom but not hi-hats.
If I revert the mapping, I will be back to having working hi-hats but not low tom :-(

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 02:59:32 PM »
Many thanks for your help. The MIDI settings on my module all match those on the list so I have tried to map manually. I was successful with the floor tom however the hi-hats are giving an error message saying that my device is sending unexpected notes and to perform a factory reset. Unfortunately, the factory reset has not made any difference so now I have working low tom but not hi-hats.
If I revert the mapping, I will be back to having working hi-hats but not low tom :-(

EDIT:
I went and downloaded Melodics...connected STRIKE module (USB).... Powered on..Factory defaults..no MIDI assigning , I did absolutely nothing.
Started Melodics app..it connected to the site..account setup.. identified as STRIKE Kit..selected song played...No problems or errors at all...Hi Hat and Tom 4 were fine..and all rims work,tho it sounds like they are triggering Mid/Hi Toms
Closed Melodics program.. restarted..selected a lesson.. No problems or errors at all.....Hi Hat and Tom 4 were fine,all rims work and all kit pieces were properly identified on the screen..except Tom 4 and the additional crahes as there is only 3 Tom , 1 crash and 1 ride displayed in the program..Melodics needs to add a STRIKE PRO configuration.
I did notice some songs don't use a 4th tom and it sounds like the rim on Tom 3 , but has no rim of it's own..

which lesson etc are you using ?..

EDIT:#2
Connected a Crimson...Melodics identified..no problems except the additional kit pieces are not displayed on the screen..Melodics needs to add more kit pieces.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 05:13:19 PM by Chaser »