Author Topic: How many MIDI Channels will Strike have??  (Read 2946 times)

How many MIDI Channels will Strike have??
« on: May 16, 2016, 12:17:42 AM »
Hi I was just curious how many midi channels the strike module can have? I'm buying a KAT trap kat midi pad and I'm wanting to have all the symbols split via different notes .So what I'm asking is  can the symbols be split on the strikepro ? Because I know on the dm10 cannot and I'm wanting to use all available sounds and pads for my MIDI controller

Offline rhysT

Re: How many MIDI Channels will Strike have??
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 02:43:13 AM »
A display view of the Strike module (at NAMM) shows only 5 dual-zone trigger inputs, if that's any indication of what to expect with the finished product.   
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:03:17 AM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 11:51:42 AM »
Unfortunately because the Strike isn't out yet and Alesis has yet to release any real info on the module (i.e. a complete manual), nobody really knows (except Alesis).

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:26 PM »
A display view of the Strike module (at NAMM) shows only 5 dual-zone trigger inputs, if that's any indication of what to expect with the finished product.

OK so could I use midi cables and just connect them to my 24 pad midi controller and assign those sounds via different notes? I mean that would be the only way to split cymbals I can see..I think this module just died to me

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »
Unfortunately because the Strike isn't out yet and Alesis has yet to release any real info on the module (i.e. a complete manual), nobody really knows (except Alesis).

Maybe midi will allow me to split all the sounds I need....

Online AlanK

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:00:43 PM »
Unless I'm confused about what you guys are talking about, I don't see Rhys, how you got only 5 inputs on the Strike available. Aside from the dedicated outs, it's got a pretty similar input makeup to our DM10s.. and you'd think one could assume almost all of those inputs are dual zone except kick and hi-hat and should be splittable. And you can assign extra midi notes to the new triggers that would be split so should be totally doable (of course, as Hellfire mentions, we don't have the schematics or config info yet but it's probably safe to say that the basic setup will be fairly similar to the DM10 in that the snare, toms, cymbals, percs will likely be dual zone and you should be able to split the inputs to add extra pieces which you could assign midi mappings to.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 01:07:24 PM »
Unless I'm confused about what you guys are talking about, I don't see Rhys, how you got only 5 inputs on the Strike available. Aside from the dedicated outs, it's got a pretty similar input makeup to our DM10s.. and you'd think one could assume almost all of those inputs are dual zone except kick and hi-hat and should be splittable. And you can assign extra midi notes to the new triggers that would be split so should be totally doable (of course, as Hellfire mentions, we don't have the schematics or config info yet but it's probably safe to say that the basic setup will be fairly similar to the DM10 in that the snare, toms, cymbals, percs will likely be dual zone and you should be able to split the inputs to add extra pieces which you could assign midi mappings to.

Okay so even if the symbols aren't splittable and for the record the hi-hat is Dual Zone and the ride is triple unless you can't do all three. But my goal is to have 24 channels on the strike module corresponding to 24 pads on my trapkat. Because from my understanding it doesn't matter how many outputs are on the module , it matters how the midi function works

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 01:20:01 PM »

Maybe I don't get midi:/

Online ChrisK

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 02:17:13 PM »
Hi I was just curious how many midi channels the strike module can have? I'm buying a KAT trap kat midi pad and I'm wanting to have all the symbols split via different notes .So what I'm asking is  can the symbols be split on the strikepro ? Because I know on the dm10 cannot and I'm wanting to use all available sounds and pads for my MIDI controller

It's not the midi channels which is important is the MIDI NOTE as controlled by the Trap Kat

You set Strike Module to midi channel 10 and Trap Kat MIDI channel 10 to get in communicate

then most important is the MIDI NOTES, for each separate instrument and zone (RIM+HEAD)  you will likely have much more then 24 midi note number available , normaly each input have 2 midi note, just count the amount of the input trigger, so with MIDI and the trap kat you should be fine...

My Alesis Sample Rack does have 23 midi note each users kit with only 8 triggers inputs, each trigger does have 2 midi notes in this case....in the Strike you have much more then 8 trigger inputs..

Strike as module sound engine and TrapKAT as controller should works great..
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:21:59 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »

It's not the midi channels which is important is the MIDI NOTE as controlled by the Trap Kat

You set Strike Module to midi channel 10 and Trap Kat MIDI channel 10 to get in communicate

then most important is the MIDI NOTES, for each separate instrument and zone (RIM+HEAD)  you will likely have much more then 24 midi note number available , normaly each input have 2 midi note, just count the amount of the input trigger, so with MIDI and the trap kat you should be fine...

My Alesis Sample Rack does have 23 midi note each users kit with only 8 triggers inputs, each trigger does have 2 midi notes in this case....in the Strike you have much more then 8 trigger inputs..

Really???? That's all I need is to be able to have all 24 pads usable!
The dm10 can't do that can it?

Online ChrisK

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 02:27:15 PM »

I don't have the DM10 but if someone know how it works, he wanted to access all triggers via MIDI NOTES controlled with his TrapKat, normaly it should works...it should have 2 midi note each triggers.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2016, 02:31:14 PM »

I don't have the DM10 but if someone know how it works, he wanted to access all triggers via MIDI NOTES controlled with his TrapKat, normaly it should works...it should have 2 midi note each triggers.

So 12 trs inputs would usually equal 24 midi notes...that's really weird. I wonder why that's a rhing?

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2016, 02:44:18 PM »

What module and setup do you use?

Online ChrisK

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2016, 02:48:37 PM »
MIDI NOTES are general used for each zone of the trigger, 3 zone ride might have 3 MIDI NOTES, HI HAT even more, open, mid and close and foot chick

See here Example of Sample Rack midi note

Each zone of each dual zone are Velocity switch A+B, up to 4 sound for each Trigger 1 to 7, 2 midi notes for each triggers 1 to 7.
    With Sd Cards
    Dual zone snare Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi notes triggers)

Tom triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)
    Cymbals triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)

Kick one zone, 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note (total of 2 sound)

Hi Hat A:
    Open; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note
    Mid ; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note
    Close; + 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B + 1 midi note

Hi Hat B:
    Open; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
    Mid; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note
    Close; 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B +1 midi note

HiHat Chick 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B
    HiHat splash 1 midi notes, 2 sound velocity A+B

Hihat: Total of 8 midi note and 16 samples

With SD Cards =46 samples sound with velocity switch or simultaneous and 23 midi note each users kit

For 24 MIDI notes, I think most module handle these, unless limited trigger inputs, and you can assign no matter which sound on the cymbal or HIHAT, kick
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 02:54:12 PM by ChrisK »

Online ChrisK

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 02:54:53 PM »

What module and setup do you use?

I have the Roland SPD-SX, Sample Rack and Roland TD-15.

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 03:17:45 PM »
MIDI NOTES are general used for each zone of the trigger, 3 zone ride might have 3 MIDI NOTES, HI HAT even more, open, mid and close and foot chick

Each zone of each dual zone are Velocity switch A+B, up to 4 sound for each Trigger 1 to 7, 2 midi notes for each triggers 1 to 7.
    With Sd Cards
    Dual zone snare Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi notes triggers)

Tom triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)
    Cymbals triggers are Dual zone, Each zone have 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 2 midi note (total of 4 sound each triggers + 2 midi note each triggers)

Kick one zone, 2 sound velocity switch sound A+B,+ 1 midi note (total of 2 sound)

Hi Hat A:

Hi Hat B:

With SD Cards =46 samples sound with velocity switch or simultaneous and 23 midi note each users kit

For 24 MIDI notes, I think most module handle these, unless limited trigger inputs, and you can assign no matter which sound on the cymbal or HIHAT, kick
K well the goal is to have 2 strike modules connected to 2 trapkats. Allowing for (my dream setup) 28 cymbals and 20 drums...or whatever configuration I choose. Thank you so much for the help!

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 03:20:48 PM »

With Sd Cards

Hi Hat A:

Hi Hat B:

K well the goal is to have 2 strike modules connected to 2 trapkats. Allowing for (my dream setup) 28 cymbals and 20 drums...or whatever configuration I choose. Thank you so much for the help!
crap, I forgot to ask...The trapkat has a 25th place for a bass trigger and hi hat controller  to be plugged in. That should allow me to play it good and fine through midi right? Just makes a 25th pad and controller for hi hat?

Offline rhysT

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »

Yeah guys I should have focused more on the OP's Midi query instead of speculating about possible limits for splitting trigger inputs on the Strike module.
Note to self ........ just answer the freakin' question next time!

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 07:20:48 PM »

Yeah guys I should have focused more on the OP's Midi query instead of speculating about possible limits for splitting trigger inputs on the Strike module.
sorry didn't mean to spark hate

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 07:27:20 PM »
Oh you said note to self...nvm I thought u were saying that to other members lol

I like speculation. 1 more week til the demo!!!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:47 PM »

Nothing is wrong with a little speculating. Heck, it's fun! The problem is when people try planning how to do things without knowing what is really available.

Look at it this way, the DM10 has 35 additional instruments available past the inputs it physically has (which are accessed via midi only). Will the Strike have this as well? One would hope it would, but depending if it does or doesn't make a big difference in how the OP might connect up his rig. One would think the Strike would offer everything the DM10 had an more, but Alesis has yet to show an actual real upgrade path to the DM10. So, we don't know if all the extra bells and whistles of the DM10 will be seen by Alesis as "necessary" to their next top of the line module.

Warning, I'm going to speculate. If I had to guess, I would say Alesis will not have additional instruments accessed via midi only past the actual inputs of the new Strike. Alesis has been in a mode to scale down and not up with its feature set on all of its drum products in the last couple years. Better sounds?, yes. As feature filled as the DM10?, no.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 11:59:21 PM »

Nothing is wrong with a little speculating. Heck, it's fun! The problem is when people try planning how to do things without knowing what is really available.

Look at it this way, the DM10 has 35 additional instruments available past the inputs it physically has (which are accessed via midi only). Will the Strike have this as well? One would hope it would, but depending if it does or doesn't make a big difference in how the OP might connect up his rig. One would think the Strike would offer everything the DM10 had an more, but Alesis has yet to show an actual real upgrade path to the DM10. So, we don't know if all the extra bells and whistles of the DM10 will be seen by Alesis as "necessary" to their next top of the line module.

Warning, I'm going to speculate. If I had to guess, I would say Alesis will not have additional instruments accessed via midi only past the actual inputs of the new Strike. Alesis has been in a mode to scale down and not up with its feature set on all of its drum products in the last couple years. Better sounds?, yes. As feature filled as the DM10?, no.
Dang I think your right....makes sense://// I'll think something else up.

WHAT IS THE RELEASE DATE ????

Offline rhysT

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2016, 02:19:03 AM »

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2016, 01:39:09 PM »
WHAT IS THE RELEASE DATE ????

There are some possible clues in this topic: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=6440.msg45275#msg45275

Well I'm just hoping that I can take my strike modules back and forth between parents and my place (for strike kit and trapkat setup)...I'd hate to use bfd3 for the tepkats....also June 15th is the earliest they are shipping but Alesis said on their FB that a demo will be out later this week...God I hope this works

Online ChrisK

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:56 PM »
The problem at Alesis is the marketing area, they announce things when not even in beta stage, They should do like others company never announce things until the product is in late stage development, Alesis would never receive any complain, look like they did not learn from others.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 02:26:35 PM by ChrisK »