Author Topic: Feed trigger to midi converter into drum module...  (Read 796 times)

Feed trigger to midi converter into drum module...
« on: March 16, 2021, 04:58:45 PM »
Hi. I have a noob question:

Can a trigger to midi converter be fed into a drum module. E.g. could it be fed into something like an Alesis Strike module in order to support additional cymbals, toms, or other stuff, and then assign some of the module voices to the device without having to use a PC and a midi program such as Superior Drummer and the likes?

I hope anyone can understand my question...

Cheers, Peter

Offline Chaser

Re: Feed trigger to midi converter into drum module...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 07:51:33 PM »
Hi. I have a noob question:

Can a trigger to midi converter be fed into a drum module. E.g. could it be fed into something like an Alesis Strike module in order to support additional cymbals, toms, or other stuff, and then assign some of the module voices to the device without having to use a PC and a midi program such as Superior Drummer and the likes?

I hope anyone can understand my question...

Cheers, Peter

Basically ALL drum modules are TMI (Trigger To Midi).
Most drum modules have internal/onboard sounds and a Local Control option and some do not (Trigger I/O etc).

You can use the STRIKE Module as a Sound Module but you will have the same amount of MIDI notes as if you had triggers connected..no additional/extra MIDI notes...You cannot add more triggers other than splitting some of the current ones ..typically the Tom Rims

STRIKE MODULE Triggering using External Module/TMI/Controller

Very few modules were truly "expandable" and had extra MIDI notes so that you could add additional triggers and assign Voices/Sounds to them..the Original DM10 was one of them 

Original DM10 35 Additional Sounds via MIDI

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 07:26:52 AM »
Very few modules were truly "expandable" and had extra MIDI notes so that you could add additional triggers and assign Voices/Sounds to them..the Original DM10 was one of them 

Haha. I owned a DM10 Studio Kit which I sold to buy the Crimson II. No regrets, though.

I guess I will start with splitters or otherwise simply keep both modules and connect them through a mixer. Too bad I won’t be able to silently use the built-in metronome then. I definitely don’t want to add a laptop or something alike. Imagine getting a “unexpected error - rebooting now” screen in the middle of a demo.  ;D

Thanks for your answer.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2021, 09:21:17 AM »
Too bad I won’t be able to silently use the built-in metronome then.

Are you referring to using with Headphones alone?..
The STRIKE and Crimson Metronome can be set to.. Main Out, headphone jack (Hdph Out), or both (Main & Hdph).
The STRIKE is more customizable and has a variety... Woodblock 1, Woodblock 2, Cowbell 1, Cowbell 2, Shaker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2021, 08:13:03 PM »
If I would run two modules through a mixer then I would obviously need to connect the headset to the mixer and then you can not eliminate the metronome from the signal. Anything coming from the modules going into the mixer will also go into mains out.

Anyway, this will all be quite a long term project. For the time being I am heading towards a Strike module and a few extensions to the kit, so splitters will suffice a while. In the long run I would like to add a small cymbal as splash and a China cymbal. I currently use tom2-rim for cowbell and would optically replace that with a cowbell alike trigger. (Jobeky has one which is not very expensive.)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2021, 09:15:50 PM »
If I would run two modules through a mixer then I would obviously need to connect the headset to the mixer and then you can not eliminate the metronome from the signal. Anything coming from the modules going into the mixer will also go into mains out.

Anyway, this will all be quite a long term project. For the time being I am heading towards a Strike module and a few extensions to the kit, so splitters will suffice a while. In the long run I would like to add a small cymbal as splash and a China cymbal. I currently use tom2-rim for cowbell and would optically replace that with a cowbell alike trigger. (Jobeky has one which is not very expensive.)

Depends on the mixer...send the headphone output to it's own channel and "cue" it..