Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 1025 times)

Introduction
« on: July 04, 2020, 07:12:52 AM »
Good morning and Happy Fourth of July!
My name is Joe and I am a retired Letter Carrier.  I bought my DM10 MKII Studio set a year and a half ago.  My only problem with it was a broken wire in one of the pads.  Until now😟
3 days ago the highs went out of the system and I lost some punch in the lower tones.  I knew it was the module, so I reset it to it's base settings.  Lost all of the songs and did not fix my problem.  So I went to the Alesis website to try and find out how to reboot the module.  Got a lot of information but no PDF file to use.  I wrote to Alesis and still have not heard from them😞
Sorry to enter into your grand company with my tale of woe.  I need help with this and am hoping you have what I need.
Thank you
Joe the Bike Guy

Offline Chaser

Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »
Good morning and Happy Fourth of July!
My name is Joe and I am a retired Letter Carrier.  I bought my DM10 MKII Studio set a year and a half ago.  My only problem with it was a broken wire in one of the pads.  Until now
3 days ago the highs went out of the system and I lost some punch in the lower tones.  I knew it was the module, so I reset it to it's base settings.  Lost all of the songs and did not fix my problem.  So I went to the Alesis website to try and find out how to reboot the module.  Got a lot of information but no PDF file to use.  I wrote to Alesis and still have not heard from them
Sorry to enter into your grand company with my tale of woe.  I need help with this and am hoping you have what I need.
Thank you
Joe the Bike Guy

The COMMAND/CRIMSON/II/DM10 MKII Studio/FORGE are based off the Medeli DD650.The differences between the modules is in the Firmware and sometimes the DB25 Cable.
The Alesis User Guide is minimal but has the MIDI map , which is different from the others.
Here is a much more in depth Guide/Manual
It also has the Kit/Instrument(Voices)/Songs listed starting on pg 27.They should be similar if not the same as whats in the DM10 MKII Studio module.

Did you do the reset from the Menu ?..or the Power up?

Factory reset...Hold down < and > simultaneously when powering on you should see RST.. for a brief moment.

If that is no help.
Under Kit Menu/Page
You can increase the EQ's (-12dB~12dB),factory defaults are usually at Zero except for the High which is 4.
Try raising them evenly or max them all out and slowly lower until you reach desired levels.
This will also increase the overall volume so you may want to lower the main/headphone volumes first.
Between the EQ's..Kit Volume and Main Volume you should be able to achieve a good balance

Happy 4th !
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 07:52:53 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 03:45:33 PM »
Dear Chaser!
Thank You for your response :)  I reset using the <> buttons instead of the Reset from the menu and the songs re-appeared!  Yayyy
Now I will try to work on the High sounds and the lack of high pitched snare sound.  I am using the 070 snare
Hooorahhh
Cheers
Joe

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 04:54:31 PM »
Hi Chaser!
I went back and tried to adjust everything but still no highs :-\  I checked the output of the module and low and behold, there's nothing coming out of the Right side!!!!  I'll bet my bottom dollar that the Treble is dominant on the Right side, ergo the HH is a whisper and so are the Cymbals, and the snare lost it's snap!!  Now do you have any idea what the next step might be??  BTW, Alesis still has not responded to my initial request for information.
Cheers
Joe

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 04:55:47 PM »
Also, the number on the module is (21)B51804226100399

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 07:47:57 PM »
Hi Chaser!
I went back and tried to adjust everything but still no highs :-\  I checked the output of the module and low and behold, there's nothing coming out of the Right side!!!!  I'll bet my bottom dollar that the Treble is dominant on the Right side, ergo the HH is a whisper and so are the Cymbals, and the snare lost it's snap!!  Now do you have any idea what the next step might be??  BTW, Alesis still has not responded to my initial request for information.
Cheers
Joe

Try the Pan setting...there were some complaints on early modules/firmware about volume and/or Panning that some problems went away once you just touched the setting.

I don't know what is going on with Alesis and support...yesterday I received a question from a User on the Community Forum and when I went to respond ..the Forum had been "Retired"...shutdown.

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 08:22:47 PM »
Hi Chaser!
Thanks for being so patient.  Your link to Guide/Manual does not work, error 403
I get what you are saying about Alesis.  You guys should get a stipend at least for caring for Alesis products.  What are mu options with the Right side of my module's being defunct.
Do I need to find a new module or can I do something to fix this situation.
I appreciate your input and am Jonesing on not being able to play
I LOVE playing my drums
Cheers
Joe

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 10:31:07 PM »
Your link to Guide/Manual does not work, error 403

I replaced it with the same address and it is working.
I don't know what was up with it.

I get what you are saying about Alesis.  You guys should get a stipend at least for caring for Alesis products.

Once upon a time ...8-10 years ago ...there were reps that visited and participated in the forum and received input for the "DM10 2.0" firmware which had the ability to download and install new soundsets...
It was sold to Pearl (R.E.D. Box)...the reps disappeared and for the most Alesis (InMusic)wants nothing to do with this site.
If you search through the forum you'll see posts from Alesis and FXPansion reps from years ago.

Do I need to find a new module or can I do something to fix this situation.

I would try another factory reset...otherwise there isn't much you can do other than wait for support
I don't know if they are going to much if it's out of warranty.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 02:09:56 AM »
Hi Joe,
Since I only have an original DM10 module and not a MKII these questions may or may not be relevant.
Have you tried a different cable? There could be a break in a wire or bad solder joint on one of the jack ends.
You could try switching left and right cables to see if the issue remains or migrates to the opposite side.
I would also make sure the cables are fully seated in the jacks of the module and I would also make sure there was no dirt or foreign debris in the jacks themselves.
Also, I'm not sure if it would make a difference or not but have you inadvertently switched out any TS cables with TRS cables, (or vice versa), recently?
Another thing to try is do you see the same lack of right side audio in both the main outs AND the headphone jack?  If only one of these "outs" has the problem I would think the issue is with that particular jack and not a global board problem.
My apology's if you've already thought of these but if not, they may not solve your issues but may point you in the right direction.

Powerhouse

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 07:14:54 AM »
Thank you Chaser and Powerhouse!
Reset again, same response.  Tried the cables every which way (which is how I determined that the fault lies with the Module) to no avail.
Looks like I have to get another Module.  Not before I take this one apart!
Thanks again😒
Joe

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 11:11:50 AM »
Thank you Chaser and Powerhouse!
Reset again, same response.  Tried the cables every which way (which is how I determined that the fault lies with the Module) to no avail.
Looks like I have to get another Module.  Not before I take this one apart!
Thanks again😒
Joe

Be carefull when taking apart ,there is a short ribbon connecting the top to bottom,I don't remember exactly how to remove the ribbon,if it was clamped  etc..it was easiest to pull off the volume/headphone knobs and remove the 3 screws holding the assembly than to disconnect the connections inside.
You didn't mention if you checked the headphone jack and if it works properly.
If it does you could run it to the amp for now since you probably don't use amp and headphones at the same time.
If you end up deciding on looking for a module..things to consider...
If you ever plan on using a Vst...the Crimson II and DM10 MKII Studio HH open/closed is tied to a single note and not reassignable in the module...the Crimson II does have the option to switch to an FSR HH (Pro-X)in the menu but the Pro-X was discontinued some time ago
Skip the Command and Forge modules...diiferent firmwares...a lot of single zone triggers..

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 12:18:17 PM »
Thank you Chaser!
The headphone jack works perfectly but the sound gets lost in the 1/4" outputs.  If I wanted to download and upgrade the firmware where do I go to get the files necessary?  The last thing I want to do is disassemble, however, I need to find this glitch.
BTW I tried the Guide/Manual link and it worked this time!  Good find :)  Funny how the highs in the pre-recorded songs are missing as well as the highs from the drum set
Cheers
Joe

Offline Chaser

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
The headphone jack works perfectly but the sound gets lost in the 1/4" outputs.

So both ouput jacks work? Just a loss of highs?
If both outputs work...do you have another power supply laying around to check with?
These modules use 9 VDC 500mA which is also a typical guitar effects pedal power supply.
Sometimes power supplies start going bad and odd symptoms start happening on modules.

If I wanted to download and upgrade the firmware where do I go to get the files necessary?

There aren't any updates or downloads available to the public.
If Alesis support determines it's the firmware they would normally have you send it back to get the firmware reinstalled. (re-flashed)

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 08:36:06 AM »
Good morning Chaser and Powerhouse and anyone else that tried to help me out.
How did the story end?
I have an old Crate amp.  I hooked it up to the module instead of the Roland and guess what?  The highs reappeared!!!!  It was the amp all along😱  I brought it to the Manchester Music Mill and sure enough, the Tweeter was blown.  The amp is the one thing I thought I could take to the bank but proved to be the culprit.  Thank you all for trying to help
Cheers
Joe the Bike Guy!
PS another good thing that came out of this is the manual for the module!!

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2020, 11:51:03 AM »
Of course, another wonderful event was having Chaser and Powerhouse try to come to the rescue!
Didn't know me from a hole in the wall but gave of their time and expertise.  Thank You so very much🥰  One more thing, I did find an upgrade site!  However, after downloading the upgrade, try as I might, I could not access the module to actually perform the upgrade.  So there you go
Cheers

Offline Chaser

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2020, 03:55:21 PM »
One more thing, I did find an upgrade site!  However, after downloading the upgrade, try as I might, I could not access the module to actually perform the upgrade.  So there you go
Cheers

What upgrade site ?
For the DM10 MKII Studio/DD650 module?
Please provide a link.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 03:57:51 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2020, 05:24:14 PM »
Hi Chaser!
Here is the direction page:
https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/1558

I am now looking for the actual download page which I found

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Chaser
I have the files but do not know if they will go through here.  I'll try  If not, give me your email and I will send them that way

Here goes:
Can't do it.  The files say they are copied, but Paste does appear here.
Send me your email please

Offline Chaser

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2020, 05:53:57 PM »
Hi Chaser!
Here is the direction page:
https://www.alesis.com/kb/article/1558

I am now looking for the actual download page which I found

You did notice that the photo is the Original DM10 module..not the DM10 MKII Studio...
There are 3 DM10 modules...the original DM10...the DM10 MKII Studio..and the DM10 MKII Pro..
They are each entirely different modules and firmware..
You should be happy you didn't accidentally get the DM10 MKII Studio into receive mode (if that's even possible) or you surely would have bricked your module..

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2020, 07:44:57 PM »
Hi Chaser!
There were 4 choices to download.
When I downloaded the files it was for the DM10 MKII Studio kit (I hate the word kit😟)
I know the picture is a different module.  I just think Alesis is pretty sloppy when it comes to their websites.  Like having a site that gives you everything you need to do the upgrade except the files

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »
https://7132afa424c2f1a2ab6d-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/907/downloads/DM10_Firmware_Updates_08052014.zip

That's the address.  It works as I just tried it

This file is for the original DM10 and NOT the DM10 MK II Studio or Pro. You can tell by the date that is on the file 08052014. Yes, that's the date the file was made. The DM10 MK II's didn't exist at that time.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2020, 01:51:08 AM »
Good to hear you got it worked out Joe and it wasn't an issue with your module.
Were all glad you're here and we are always happy to try to help each other out.

Powerhouse

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2020, 09:19:55 AM »
Thank you all!!!!  You guys are right in the money😁👍
The more I learn, the better I am
Joe