Author Topic: Why the price difference?  (Read 3773 times)

Why the price difference?
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
OK guys what is so different that the DM10 Pro and then DM10 Pro Studio has such a drastic price difference.  I know it is not just the surge cymbals.  The Pro Studio comes with an additional pad and cymbal? 

What gives?

Offline goony

Re: Why the price difference?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 12:14:14 PM »
the pro kit also has a different rack the ergo rack, plus also 2x10" pads, where as the studio only has 1x10" pad.
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 12:28:14 PM »
the pro kit also has a different rack the ergo rack, plus also 2x10" pads, where as the studio only has 1x10" pad.

That's what makes this seem weird.  you get more for less? 

Offline goony

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 12:53:13 PM »
Its probably the better rack, as the pro kit has a better rack mch more for fast setup and tear down when gigging, whereas the studio looks like plastic clamps...

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
Its probably the better rack, as the pro kit has a better rack mch more for fast setup and tear down when gigging, whereas the studio looks like plastic clamps...
And you would be correct goony. The Studio kit has aluminum rack tubes with plastic clamps and plastic cymbals. The Studio kit is meant for the person who sets it up in one place and never (or rarely) moves it. Main because of the type of clamps it uses. You need the drum key to adjust all the clamps.

The Pro kit is designed for gigging drummers. It comes with chrome plated steel tubes and the four main clamps are metal. They are also designed to allow the cables to pass through the rack tubes (Something Alesis never points out ::) Mainly because their cable snake isn't designed to go threw the rack tubes). As stated before, you also get the Surge cymbals and two 10" trigger pads instead of one.

If you don't gig out regularly, I say go for the DM10 Studio Kit. A much better deal.

Offline goony

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:27:07 PM »
yeah it is a good deal, but for me I will probably got for the pro, as I will need to fold and unfold rack often, due to space etc...

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:03 PM »
The Studio kit is meant for the person who sets it up in one place and never (or rarely) moves it. Main because of the type of clamps it uses. You need the drum key to adjust all the clamps.

I can't believe I get to do this to the man, the myth, the legend... but Phil is mistaken.  The studio kit has butterfly bolts (or whatever you call 'em) for the clamps.  Drum key is not needed.  :)

A big difference in cost is material used in the rack.  The Pro is Chrome'd, while the Studio is Powder Coated Aluminum.

Also, price wise, Surge Cymbals are 2-3x more expensive than plastic/rubber cyms.

I like the studio not only because it comes with an extra pad, and extra cymbal, but because the price point is $999. 

Not trying to sell you one over the other, just giving you my opinion/reasoning on my purchase.

:D

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 03:26:47 PM »
Yeah If I get one it will be the studio.

Then I will have to get the mesh heads and do the mods that Phil has detailed on the site due to the pad noise.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 03:31:17 PM »
Thanks for all the input!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 12:26:29 AM »
The Studio kit is meant for the person who sets it up in one place and never (or rarely) moves it. Main because of the type of clamps it uses. You need the drum key to adjust all the clamps.

I can't believe I get to do this to the man, the myth, the legend... but Phil is mistaken.  The studio kit has butterfly bolts (or whatever you call 'em) for the clamps.  Drum key is not needed.  :)

Doh!  Actually, we are both right.  There are wing bolts on the pad brackets, but the rack is drum key.  I bet I could get Butterfly bolts for the rack if it becomes an issue.  But since, I don't plan on doing any gigs, it'll be a Set-it and Forget-it. 

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

Actually you are mistaken, I'm no "legend". I'm the "mod" :D

You are correct. I made that statement base on prelim info instead of actually looking at the Alesis website. Sorry about that. The main rack clamps need the drum key. The pad clamps have the wing screw.