Author Topic: The Best USB Soundcard for Alesis IO Trigger (latency)  (Read 5320 times)

The Best USB Soundcard for Alesis IO Trigger (latency)
« on: January 01, 2010, 06:32:58 PM »
Hello!

I'm using Alesis IO Trigger with Roland RT-10 triggers and some Roland pads. IO trigger is connected via USB to my laptop as Masterkeyboard at Propellerhead Reason.

I'm looking for better USB soundcard with minimal latency and with two stereo outputs at least. I already have Esi Maya 44 USB, but latency is too high.

I was thinking about Esi U46 XL USB or Novation NIO 2/4.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 07:22:04 PM by mspirit »

Online Hellfire

Re: The Best USB Soundcard for Alesis IO Trigger (latency)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 08:05:21 PM »
Hello!

I'm using Alesis IO Trigger with Roland RT-10 triggers and some Roland pads. IO trigger is connected via USB to my laptop as Masterkeyboard at Propellerhead Reason.

I'm looking for better USB soundcard with minimal latency and with two stereo outputs at least. I already have Esi Maya 44 USB, but latency is too high.

I was thinking about Esi U46 XL USB or Novation NIO 2/4.

Thanks
Hi mspirit,
Welcome to the forum!
You might have better luck using a Firewire interface than a USB. Do you have a Firewire port on your laptop? I don't use VST's much but, from what I've read and seen, Firewire seems to be the way to go to cut the latency.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 08:31:23 PM »
Thanks a lot.
But I don't have FireWire. I've read that FireWire has the same speed as USB 2.0. So I hope I can use USB.

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 07:05:24 PM »
The first and most obvious question is are you using the ASIO drivers? If not, do so as this may solve your problem immediately.

Next up there should be an ASIO control panel where you can adjust the latency. Dial this in as low as you can without hearing any crackle or experiencing any dropouts.

Your CPU (indeed your entire system configuration) is important to latency as much as your sound device, especially when there is processing occuring on the box as there is with a VST. Before you replace your device be certain that is where the problem lies. Otherwise you are just throwing your money away.

Good luck!

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »
also go into os and disbale programs that are running in your background  here is a guide for such

http://www.pcmus.com/TweakXP.htm
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity