Author Topic: Addictive Drums into Reaper  (Read 4481 times)

Offline Dobly

Addictive Drums into Reaper
« on: February 12, 2017, 10:23:35 PM »

Yesterday I was gearing up to record some drum parts for my bands upcoming promo video. It occurred to me that I didn't know how to record my drum parts on Reaper when Addictive drums was on the same laptop.

My setup has my DM10 into the laptop via USB, then from another USB port i have a Focusrite 2i4 that takes the sound and send it to a mixer. By default Reaper does not hear the drum sounds getting generated. I was confused where to go from here.

I searched around and found the perfect video tutorial for this issue. So good I thought I'd share the link to it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Bzk-L7pAA

What you learn in this video is how to setup the mapping between Addictive Drums and Reaper such that when you hit record, your drums get recorded at wav audio files, with every part of the kit on it's own track. This then gives you ultimate control to say 'turn up the bass drum' or 'add reverb to the snare' and so on.

Re: Addictive Drums into Reaper
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 02:12:45 PM »
...I didn't know how to record my drum parts on Reaper when Addictive drums was on the same laptop...By default Reaper does not hear the drum sounds getting generated. I was confused where to go from here.

...didnt watch the video BUT I'm wondering why you dont just record the MIDI from the kit and NOT the audio as wave files...the short of it is to insert AD on a track in Reaper, assign the track to receive MIDI input. You could then play AD from your kit just like you do with AD as a standalone app - AND simultaneously record your performance on the track as MIDI. When you play back the track the MIDI plays your drums "live". Like an old fashioned player piano...With this set up you can also assign parts of the kit to different audio channels in Reaper for monitoring (or recording as waves). Each will of course have it's own eq, FX, fader, pan, etc.

The real benefit here is that you can edit the midi to correct timing, insert new fills or sections, and replace drums if needed. I typically keep this set up and never "print" the drums to wave files even after mixing the song.

I do concede that this takes a little technical knowledge as you have to first set up your drum kit as an input source in Reaper, use AD as a VST and understand signal routing in Reaper. It's not that hard though and there are plenty of videos on how to do these things...

Hope that helps

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 03:54:55 PM »
I have DM10 connected via USB to my laptop. I have a Behringer U-CONTROL UCA222 connected USB to the laptop as well to send audio out to our band mixer, but I can also record the drums. Install the ASIO4All audio driver. http://www.asio4all.com/

Open a new Reaper file. Insert a new Virtual Instrument track and select Addictive Drums.
Under the Maximize\Minimize\Close in the upper right hand of Reaper, click the audio driver words (shoudl say something lke 44.1Hz 34bit Direct WAV..blah) or something like that. This will open the preferences(or go to Options..Preferences on the menu in Reaper to get there). On the left side of Preferences, under Audio, select Device. On the right side, select ASIOfor the Audio System and under ASIO Driver, select your USB Focusrite. Hit Apply.

You should see activity if you hit a pad. If your focusright is attached to an amp(or headphones) you should hear something.

Once that is done and you have activity and sound, we can talk about splitting the tracks up and all that other stuff. You have to have sound first.

DM10-->Laptop
Laptop-->Focusrite
AISO Driver installed
Reaper Preferences(AUDIO) select ASIO and Focusrite

Let me know if this helps.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:28 PM »

...didnt watch the video BUT I'm wondering why you dont just record the MIDI from the kit and NOT the audio as wave files...the short of it is to insert AD on a track in Reaper, assign the track to receive MIDI input. You could then play AD from your kit just like you do with AD as a standalone app - AND simultaneously record your performance on the track as MIDI. When you play back the track the MIDI plays your drums "live". Like an old fashioned player piano...With this set up you can also assign parts of the kit to different audio channels in Reaper for monitoring (or recording as waves). Each will of course have it's own eq, FX, fader, pan, etc.

The real benefit here is that you can edit the midi to correct timing, insert new fills or sections, and replace drums if needed. I typically keep this set up and never "print" the drums to wave files even after mixing the song.

I do concede that this takes a little technical knowledge as you have to first set up your drum kit as an input source in Reaper, use AD as a VST and understand signal routing in Reaper. It's not that hard though and there are plenty of videos on how to do these things...

Hope that helps

Perhaps you are right.. I was stuck and the solution I found created a wav file on each track to which i could apply individual effect etc.. This works best in my case as I'm on the only one in the band with AD. My brother works on other parts and he would not be able to load the project if I had the AD VST in it. Once I record the song I remove  the AD VST from the project so he can open it.

Thanks for the tip but. I'll keep that in mind should I need midi drum parts in the future.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 04:35:08 PM »
DM10-->Laptop
Laptop-->Focusrite
AISO Driver installed
Reaper Preferences(AUDIO) select ASIO and Focusrite

In the solution above the Focusrite only used for monitoring. It takes the audio directly from AD. I could unplug the Focusrite and it would still record (but I would not hear it.)

I'm not saying this way is better. Just saying it works. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 11:02:38 PM by Dobly »

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 05:45:41 PM »
In the solution above the Focusrite only used for monitoring. It takes the audio directly from AD. I could unplug the Focusrite and it would still record (but I would not hear it.)

I'm not saying this way it better. Just saying it works.

Correct, I wasn't comparing the two, just giving my setup. It allows me to hear what I am playing, record it and send it to the band mixer.

Thanks for the link though, I always need a refresher on this stuff.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:47:55 PM »
Reaper is so darn powerful.

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 01:17:18 PM »
Perhaps you are right.. I was stuck and the solution I found created a wav file on each track to which i could apply individual effect etc.. This works best in my case as I'm on the only one in the band with AD. My brother works on other parts and he would not be able to load the project if I had the AD VST in it. Once I record the song I remove  the AD VST from the project so he can open it.

Thanks for the tip but. I'll keep that in mind should I need midi drum parts in the future.

I see... makes sense then... :-)