Author Topic: Looking to purchase!!!  (Read 2884 times)

Looking to purchase!!!
« on: December 16, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Totally new to e-dumming. I'm actually a sax player and have relaed a few albums. I'm building my own project studio to cut down some of the costs associated with recording at the studios. I have Logic 8 and Pro Tools * 9digi 003). I want to be able to cut my rhythm tracks live which led me to e-dumming. I have EZDrummer software and hAd my eyes set on an Alesis USB Pro kit until I heard about the new DM10. It is a bit pricey for me since I am not a drummer at all. I just want to be able to have a live drummer feel on my tracks. Any experience with the USB Pro at all anyone? I also want to have a nice kit that my drummer of choice can play at ease w/o too long of a learning curve. Any advice at at all would be appreciated!!

Online Hellfire

Re: Looking to purchase!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »
Totally new to e-dumming. I'm actually a sax player and have relaed a few albums. I'm building my own project studio to cut down some of the costs associated with recording at the studios. I have Logic 8 and Pro Tools * 9digi 003). I want to be able to cut my rhythm tracks live which led me to e-dumming. I have EZDrummer software and hAd my eyes set on an Alesis USB Pro kit until I heard about the new DM10. It is a bit pricey for me since I am not a drummer at all. I just want to be able to have a live drummer feel on my tracks. Any experience with the USB Pro at all anyone? I also want to have a nice kit that my drummer of choice can play at ease w/o too long of a learning curve. Any advice at at all would be appreciated!!
The USB pro kit pads are the same to the DM10 pro kits. The only difference being the DM10 has two 10" pads. Using the USB pro kit shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind that the kit will need to be "dialed in" for the drummers taste.

Is it the best edrum kit that money can buy?

No, but it is a good product at a good price. Also, the USB pro kit doesn't have any built in sounds. The Alesis Trigger I/O is a TMI (Trigger Midi Interface) only. Your computer will have to supply the sounds. So it should work pretty good with EZdrummer. Once you get the kit, you will need to program the Trigger I/O to use the same Midi notes as EZdrummer. Out of the box it most likely will not just plug and play 100%. Just something to keep in mind. I hope that helps.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 03:36:20 PM »
out of the box, if you use the BFD 1.5 lite software that comes with it.

I was impressed when I plugged in my IO into my laptop running the FBD 1.5 lite it came with.. preset 0 and 1 were ready to go!

I recommend that you start editing custom kits on preset #20, and leave 0 and 1 alone for a while.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:16:23 AM »
Well, I did it! I purchased a new USB Pro Kit from Square Trade via ebay after a call to the company to assure that the unit would be new and not a b-stock item. It is scheduled for delivery on Monday. I can't wait. I've been studying this unit for most of the year, and hopefully the study and wait time will pay off. Price $579 /w free shipping.

Peace...