Author Topic: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right  (Read 51997 times)

Offline Hellfire

Re: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
You can also plug a foot switch into one of the trigger inputs on the DM10 (will need to use a splitter) and use it to advance to the next kit. Just set the trigger type to switch and you should be able to assign that switch as next kit.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
@Vaikl:  How would it work?  Would it just switch to the "next" kit, or can you set it up to go to various kits, etc?  Just curious.  What midi note(s), if any, does it send?

HF's solution is much easier to handle, but if you wanna use a MIDI footswitch, you'll have to enable "Prog Chng" in the Utility/MIDI settings on the module. The switch has to send program change numbers 0-99 to step sequencially up/down through kit 0-99 (not selective). To go to the user kits, the switch has to send a "bank select" command (1) to step through the next hundred kits (bank select 0 re-selects the first hundred).

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the info.  Gives something to consider, if you can be creative with set placement in the user kits, doesn't it?  I was aware of the kit change, but had not thought of the foot switch possibility.  Was hoping there might be a way with the foot switch to "select" a kit... I guess using a foot switch or a pad, really isn't that much different then.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 04:49:57 PM »
Thanks guys.  Appreciate the info.  Gives something to consider, if you can be creative with set placement in the user kits, doesn't it?  I was aware of the kit change, but had not thought of the foot switch possibility.  Was hoping there might be a way with the foot switch to "select" a kit... I guess using a foot switch or a pad, really isn't that much different then.

You could take a pad or even an unused rim and assign the next-kit-option on the module to it - if you never hit that rim occasionally ;)

There are also bigger MIDI foot switch controllers with several switches, which can be programmed to send discrete program change numbers to the module. Or MIDI pad controllers. Or just a small, cheap keyboard...

You see, MIDI is still a powerful protocol ;D

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 05:02:38 PM »
here are also bigger MIDI foot switch controllers with several switches, which can be programmed to send discrete program change numbers to the module. Or MIDI pad controllers. Or just a small, cheap keyboard...

So, are you saying that using midi, it IS possible to "select" a kit via a program change number?

If so, I'm going to do some research on this.
DM10 Studio 2011 w/Surge Cymbals added, BB Mesh head conversion w/rubber muffs at bottom, one 12" A-E pad, Simmons DA200S, sometimes using 2 satellite speakers... Simmons SDMP-1 Multi-pad.
See my DIY 12" Acoustic to E-Drum project post here: http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=1227

Offline vaikl

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 05:16:50 PM »
So, are you saying that using midi, it IS possible to "select" a kit via a program change number?

A program/bank change command/message is just a MIDI command with the specific program or bank number. A single footswitch or pad/rim switch trigger can only step up/down a number (like "actual number = old number +- 1") *or* select only one given number (which isn't useful at all).

With a row of switches/pads/keys/buttons - whatsoever can send MIDI - you have the possibility to select out of a row of program change numbers.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #56 on: January 21, 2012, 05:21:23 PM »
Another method could be to copy all necessary kits in the right (song) order into the user kit section and then only use the next-kit action on a single switch.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 05:30:46 PM »
If you look at the mentioned Rocktron Xchange controller (below), you can see an Up and a Down switch to step in both directions. The Recall button in the middle can save a program number (beside other things) to fast switch back to it.

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Very interesting.  I thoroughly enjoy the amount of knowledge you have to share on these subjects!

Offline drumday

« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 05:37:54 PM »
I thoroughly enjoy the amount of knowledge you have to share on these subjects!

Me too!
DM10 Studio 2011, BBII mesh conversion w/ resistors left in place, Simmons DA200S, ProMark 7A nylon, Sennheiser HD280 headphones, Gibraltar rack, Camco double pedal.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 05:51:17 PM »
Thanks guys, for the compliments!

The cool thing about MIDI is that my knowledge is about 30 years old and still valid like on the first day I connected my Atari to a Casio cheap Yamaha keyboard  ;)

Offline vtdrummer

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 05:59:05 PM »
The cool thing about MIDI is that my knowledge is about 30 years old and still valid like on the first day I connected my Atari to a Casio cheap Yamaha keyboard

I wish I could say that about DOS, Xenix, and all those others I started with back in the 80's!  People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell 'em to open a "DOS window"...   :D :D

Offline vaikl

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 06:16:05 PM »
I wish I could say that about DOS, Xenix, and all those others I started with back in the 80's!  People look at me like I'm nuts when I tell 'em to open a "DOS window"...   :D :D

Yeah, that's why I tell all children (not mine exclusivly) to learn something useful, like engineering arts. My domains are databases and Internet and in this domains the basics are still the same too.

But for heaven's sake that doesn't mean that I won't be able to learn something new - our DIY section is a grail for me ;D

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
I'm going to make a prediction. I know the Alesis video states that the DM Dock will be available in the second quarter of this year. I don't think that's going to happen. First off, they should wait and see if Apple released the iPad 3 (which they will). That most likely isn't going to happen until at least mid to late February. Alesis would be crazy not to wait to make sure that iPad 3 can fit and work in this new dock. Assuming they wait, some re-enginereeing will be needed for the DMdock. I would guess the earliest we'd see this is late September to early October.

In my opinion Alesis would be down right insane not to wait for the iPad 3. They have botched the I/O dock support, they have gotten heat for the DM10 support and because of that they can't afford anymore issues of this size. Alesis has good product ideas they just need to support what they've got.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2012, 02:21:25 PM »
the past two months I've converted to apple's products.  And I now learn there's going to be a DM Dock!  WOW!

Got an ipad (32g) for my birthday this past December.  DM Dock is going to be a sweet purchase.  I wonder if the app will run on an iphone too.  (just got that this past month) (I've been told my iphone is the same OS and CPU as my ipad.)   

Phil, impressed that you were first to the punch on this one.  Alesis should be paying you.  IP fees or something.  :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:23:46 PM by Guinness »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »
In my opinion Alesis would be down right insane not to wait for the iPad 3. They have botched the I/O dock support, they have gotten heat for the DM10 support and because of that they can't afford anymore issues of this size. Alesis has good product ideas they just need to support what they've got.

I doubt that an iPoad 3 would be totally different to it's forerunners, especially with it's physical dimensions and the connector. Think about the dozens of new iPad docking products that were shown at CES and WinterNAMM. If Apple really changes their physical layout, all of these products would be trash before they could be delivered.

More important is IOS 5.1 and I hope that Alesis has made their homework to supply an own stable OS for the Dock.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:13:05 PM by vaikl »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 04:59:26 PM »
Got an ipad (32g) for my birthday this past December.  DM Dock is going to be a sweet purchase.  I wonder if the app will run on an iphone too.  (just got that this past month) (I've been told my iphone is the same OS and CPU as my ipad.)   

Don't think so. The IOS is nearly the same, the processor and the hardware connection on the iPhone are different.

But you already can connect an iPhone/iPod touch to some of the new MIDI interfaces for the iSomethings via the MIDI out port of the module (not USB). Together with the CoreMIDI capabilities of IOS you could trigger some drum or synth apps on them.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »

Don't think so. The IOS is nearly the same, the processor and the hardware connection on the iPhone are different.

But you already can connect an iPhone/iPod touch to some of the new MIDI interfaces for the iSomethings via the MIDI out port of the module (not USB). Together with the CoreMIDI capabilities of IOS you could trigger some drum or synth apps on them.

Makes sense that the os is different.  CPU is almost the same:  both A5 chips, but ipad runs at 1ghz, while iphone4s runs at 800mhz.

Screen would be too small to be functional, but it'd be sorta cool if DMDock and software worked for the iPhone4s or iTouch.

Anyways... good stuff!

I wonder what Roland/Yamaha are doing in response?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
I wonder what Roland/Yamaha are doing in response?

Wonder no longer:

Hellfiredrums.com

At least Roland. No response yet from Yamaha unless you count the Hex rack 2 release.

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 03:11:38 PM »
Out of curiosity, assuming IO Dock was working with IOS5, could you plug in a Drum Module like the Roland TDs or the Alesis using straight MIDI, and still get any Drum App to work?  I assume so, I thought people were doing this.  I am just thinking this to keep the option of having the normal drum module when needed, but using the Alesis Dock for VSTs.  You wouldn't need to recable everytime, you just pick the one you want to hear.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »
Out of curiosity, assuming IO Dock was working with IOS5, could you plug in a Drum Module like the Roland TDs or the Alesis using straight MIDI, and still get any Drum App to work?  I assume so, I thought people were doing this.  I am just thinking this to keep the option of having the normal drum module when needed, but using the Alesis Dock for VSTs.  You wouldn't need to recable everytime, you just pick the one you want to hear.

Since IOS 5 and the nearly full accessibility of CoreMIDI you can connect any MIDI hardware via appropriate MIDI ports and trigger any app on the pad/pod that is working with CoreMIDI.

Normally you could only use the apps, full AudioUnit (AU) support is on the way, but not incorporated yet. VST support wasn't in sight on this Apple devices before WinterNAMM. WaveMachine Labs Auria, a 48-track mixing app, is the first app which has announced VST support with special plugins.

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
Since IOS 5 and the nearly full accessibility of CoreMIDI you can connect any MIDI hardware via appropriate MIDI ports and trigger any app on the pad/pod that is working with CoreMIDI.

Normally you could only use the apps, full AudioUnit (AU) support is on the way, but not incorporated yet. VST support wasn't in sight on this Apple devices before WinterNAMM. WaveMachine Labs Auria, a 48-track mixing app, is the first app which has announced VST support with special plugins.

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't know about AU, I had to look that up.  Seems like some sort of competitor to VST?  Not sure what the pros and cons is to each, not that it matters - as long as the best one, ot both, is supported.

Still learning...

Offline vaikl

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:03 PM »
I didn't know about AU, I had to look that up.  Seems like some sort of competitor to VST?  Not sure what the pros and cons is to each, not that it matters - as long as the best one, ot both, is supported.

Still learning...

Apple's AudioUnit format plugins are mainly used in Mac-born DAWs like Logic or Digital Performer (BTW: DP has announced version 8, which is now PC-ready). They have a similar VST core like all the others but have some additional options, like a better preset management.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
I was thinking about this DMdock thing again. Alesis has already stated that they are working with Sonivox for the basic software samples. My question is, Alesis states dual zone hi-hat compatibility and variable control for the DMdock but, will the basic Sonivox kit that comes with the DMdock have this?

I know I shouldn't have to ask this question but, after the Blue Jay SoundSet (which was supplied by Sonivox) for the DM10 not having variable hi-hat, it begs to be asked this time around.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:42 PM »
I was thinking about this DMdock thing again. Alesis has already stated that they are working with Sonivox for the basic software samples. My question is, Alesis states dual zone hi-hat compatibility and variable control for the DMdock but, will the basic Sonivox kit that comes with the DMdock have this?

I know I shouldn't have to ask this question but, after the Blue Jay SoundSet (which was supplied by Sonivox) for the DM10 not having variable hi-hat, it begs to be asked this time around.

Very good question and a just-in-time suggestion to talk about with Alesis and Sonivox!

I tend to the conclusion that the Sonivox partnership will only include their "Big Bang" drum software on an iPad or working as a VSTi in other pad apps.

Please folks, read the related article on this page to understand the audio and MIDI correlation on a drum module like the DM10! To sum it up: audio sounds are *generated* internally by the chip in the module and modulations/changes/customizations can be made by MIDI commands - if someone knows the program code of the chip.

That's why I put my money on Corvidae's genius ;) ;)