Author Topic: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right  (Read 52011 times)

Dm Dock? Hellfire was right
« on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Dm Dock? Hellfire was right
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:48 AM »

Now that is totally Awesome and I think it might be a game changer. Did anyone notice that it appears to be running Alesis drum software?

Just for reference  ;) :

Super Secret Alesis DMdock drum module?

Mock-ups shown below.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:27:57 PM by Hellfire »

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 11:25:23 AM »
Well dang... just when I thought my spending was going to be under control.
Ian
Alesis USB Studio with Superior 2
Sonar X1 Producer on Windows 7 64

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 11:30:32 AM »
No only is your mock up remarkably close but name too!
I suppose only thing to do now is wait to see if someone like superior make a app

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 11:50:02 AM »
Did anyone see the specs  :o:

The DM Dock comes equipped with 13 1/4-inch TRS trigger inputs, all of which are dual zone. It supports multiple choke-able cymbals including triple-zone ride, and dual-zone continuous hi-hats.

Well, I guess it is time to upgrade from the DM10. ;D
On a side note, I do wish it had more outputs but, I'm not complaining. I'll take it as is.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
I guess this is the answear to: Where are the sound sets for DM10!!???

Just brilliant, if it works flawlesly two things will happen:
1. bye bye to drum modules as we know'em
2. Will have to buy an iPad

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:05:42 PM »
I guess this is the answear to: Where are the sound sets for DM10!!???

Just brilliant, if it works flawlesly two things will happen:
1. bye bye to drum modules as we know'em
2. Will have to buy an iPad

I agree 100%. Now, how the heck am I going to find the money to buy not only the DMdock but and iPad? ???

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
I want to see that DM Touch app show up in iTunes so I can check it out. I also want to know just how freakin' expensive this dock is going to be so I can go ahead and get over the shock.
Ian

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:52 PM »
I want to see that DM Touch app show up in iTunes so I can check it out. I also want to know just how freakin' expensive this dock is going to be so I can go ahead and get over the shock.

Well in all honesty, that software shown in the picture could just be a marketing tool. That software may not exist. As far as the price goes, I'm right there with you. I do know the Alesis I/O dock is about $199.00. I'm hoping the DMdock comes in at $399.00, but part of me thinks it will be more like $499.00. It's just a dock so, I hope they don't go crazy with the price.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 03:48:54 PM »
I wonder if Alesis will offer the DM Dock with a DM10X kit (without the DM10 module)? DM DockX kit maybe... :D
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:59:38 PM by Hellfire »

Offline vaikl

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:26:06 PM »
Now THAT's a rocket  ... well done Phil, I adore your as a visionary!!! ;D ;D

Ipad wasn't on my wish list before, because I don't need a big remote control for my sofa and most useful music apps are working on my ipod touch 4G too. Time to re-think now, but as the DMdock is iPad 1 compatible I'm going for used ones first.

Only thing that makes me a little hesitant is that poor performance from Alesis on the I/Odock problems. I hope that the DM Dock will be delivered not before the IOS 5.1 is out, else we could run into the same issues with hiss and cracks.

This "app", ok, think that HF is right and it's a promo thing. There's no hint about such an app in the description on the web site and I doubt that it would be a solid thing like the established apps because Alesis itself hasn't much experience with such development (Akai does). But there's enough other stuff outside..

Offline vaikl

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 04:35:28 PM »
And I personally doubt that we'll see any more soundsets for the Dm10 in the future, that's the sad side of the medal...

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
And I personally doubt that we'll see any more soundsets for the Dm10 in the future, that's the sad side of the medal...

I would have to agree. What would be nice now is if they (Alesis) would open up the DM10 to allow people to put their own samples in it. It isn't too far fetched of an idea. They obviously will not have an interest in supply sounds sets at this point for the DM10, so release the info for other to use that feature. Just thinking out load again. :)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
They obviously will not have an interest in supply sounds sets at this point for the DM10, so release the info for other to use that feature. Just thinking out load again. :)

It's a fantastic idea, but it would also open the can for the RedBox people and it's another question if Pearl would be interested in this...

Offline fulrmr

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 04:48:52 PM »
This will probly be cool as long as they support it better than the DM10. At least with the ipad there are LOTS  of folks who build apps. Maybe someone will come out with something cool in the VST range that will really make this product shine. ;)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 04:56:35 PM »
Another question that irritates me - what about calibration and customization of triggers, like Xtalk, sensivity, all that roller-coaster stuff for beginners and even pro users of a DM module? Will there be an extra app from Alesis or are they thinking that most drum IOS apps already have that feature set build-in?? In fact, that is not the case.

I hope it's not too late to say "Houston, we have a problem..." ;)

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
...which is why I still believe DM Touch is a real app. There has to be a way to manage the triggers and related settings. Just because it isn't detailed on the Alesis site yet doesn't mean that it isn't on the way. Heck, there are no manuals for the DM Dock yet either, but we believe it's real, right?

As a matter of fact, re-read the description for the DM Dock again. It talks about all the changes you can make to the settings, sounds, etc. If there is no app to do this, well... So Alesis may not specifically say that DM Touch is real, but I fully expect it to show up when the DM Dock is actually available for purchase.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:08:31 PM by ifonline »
Ian

Offline vaikl

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
So Alesis may not specifically say that DM Touch is real, but I fully expect it to show up when the DM Dock is actually available for purchase.

Maybe, but not in the way it is now shown on the pictures. I doubt that it will have a sound library and a groove editor like the icons suggest. If such things are on their roadmap for delivery date then they would promote it. Why not?

Offline ungoliant

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »
Well in all honesty, that software shown in the picture could just be a marketing tool. That software may not exist. As far as the price goes, I'm right there with you. I do know the Alesis I/O dock is about $199.00. I'm hoping the DMdock comes in at $399.00, but part of me thinks it will be more like $499.00. It's just a dock so, I hope they don't go crazy with the price.

This UK website is taking order :o and is giving a price  - 199 £ (308 $) ??? (maybe a bit too soon i guess)
http://www.production-room.com/alesis/alesis-dmdock/

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 10:19:05 AM »

This UK website is taking order :o and is giving a price  - 199 £ (308 $) ??? (maybe a bit too soon i guess)
http://www.production-room.com/alesis/alesis-dmdock/

That's even a better price than I thought it would be. I'm guessing in the state they will price it at $299.00. That makes it very attractive to edrums who already own an iPad. The one problem right now is software. I think vaikl pointed out that without a trigger parameter app to set trigger settings, this device is dead in the water.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that Alesis isn't ready to show this off yet. I say that because they already have a video of the amp dock but, not of the DMdock. I think they will show it at NAMM but, I don't know if it will be up and running for the show goers to try out. Unless DMtouch (most likely a beta for NAMM) is a real app.

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 10:47:02 AM »
Yep. There has to be an app specific to controlling the trigger settings for this to work. If Alesis is hoping that some third-party app (Garage Band for example) will incorporate that functionality, then this product will never get off the ground, at least not very quickly. The Alesis web page for this product isn't quite finished, but the description as it stands suggest that the parameters of the triggers including the sound it produces when struck can be adjusted via the iPad. That can't happen unless there is an app to do so, obviously.

That's why I say again: DM Touch will be released when the DM Dock is actually released. <- Just want to make sure I'm on record so that when I'm right everyone will know who "the man" is!  :P
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:49:30 AM by ifonline »
Ian

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »
If such things are on their roadmap for delivery date then they would promote it. Why not?

My guess? Because it's not quite ready to be released just yet. Still fine-tuning the look, features, etc. That, or it's currently pending in the sometimes slow Apple approval process, and until that is done, Alesis doesn't want to commit to the app just in case something needs to be changed at Apple's request.
Ian

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:19 AM »
That's why I say again: DM Touch will be released when the DM Dock is actually released. <- Just want to make sure I'm on record so that when I'm right everyone will know who "the man" is!  :P
I'm not going to wait. Your "the man" now.  8)

I agree something will need to be released. I still think that the current image on that iPad is a photoshop image. Why, because I know how many marketing departments work. Like I stated above, if the software exist, its in beta for NAMM. Alesis is being extra careful because of what happened when they released the DM10 and told people all of the third party people they were working with for sound sets. Not one of those companies ever released a sound set. Based on that alone DM Touch either doesn't exits or it isn't finished yet. I'm going with isn't finished yet because, there needs to be a software to control the trigger settings. Just look at what comes with the DM Dock (from the Alesis website):

Includes:

DM Dock
iPad 2 Adapter
Quickstart Guide
Safety & Warranty Manual
Power Supply
Cable Snake

No mention of a software app. That is still very telling.

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
Don't get me wrong... I too believe the image shown on the Alesis website is a Photoshop mockup. I have no doubt of that. Even if the app were available now, it would still be a Photoshop mockup because that's just the nature of the marketing beast. I also agree that it's more likely that the app just isn't quite done yet. And yeah, I too expect that Alesis is trying to play this one a bit safer than they did with the DM10 third-party support fiasco.

I just believe that DM Touch in one form or another will hit the market alongside the DM Dock. And when it does, the description will be updated to reflect that the DM Touch app is available via the iTunes store for free. But until that day, Alesis is keeping quiet about the app, just in case something goes wrong.

Oh, and thanks for the "the man" recognition. Makes me feel better to know that my manhood is appreciated. Er... perhaps that isn't coming out quite right.  8) :P
Ian

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
Congrats to Hellfire! I hope they give you one for practically handing them the mock-up.. ;)

I'm really digging the idea of the DMdock.. If someone can make a rock steady VST host, it'd be a grand slam IMO. Ipad2 does some amazing things, and apps like animoog, garageband, and itribe are amazing bang for the buck. I'm curious about what the spec will be on the Ipad3 and if there's enough horsepower to run AD or Superior, etc.

As for the Alesis folks, I really hope they open up the specs a bit more on the DM10. The DmEditor is a sweet tool, but it only gets us part way (PC to DM10). The next step is to allow individual kit saves and sample loading.. A conversion software to roll our own .syx files for importing (like was done for the DMpro - or at least a spec so we can create one) would end up increasing the DM series fan base, as the community would start swapping our own home-rolled kits and soundsets. </rant>

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com