Author Topic: SDdrummer.com (New Simmons Community)  (Read 5500 times)

Online Hellfire

SDdrummer.com (New Simmons Community)
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »

Hey Guys,

I just want to formally invite AlesisDrummer.com users to a new Simmons edrum community called www.SDdrummer.com

SDdrummer.com is set similar to AlesisDrummer in the sense that it is brand specific, however (like here) you can talk about all things edrumming if you like in the Commons area.

So if you have interest at all in the new Simmons edrums, please check out SDdrummer.com and become a member (which is free). Yes I know there isn't much there yet, but it was just made it public today.

Thanks and I hope to see you guys over at www.SDdrummer.com as well.

Offline Pier

Re: SDdrummer.com (New Simmons Community)
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »
Thanks Phil, will have a look at the website for sure!
After all, I was an "ancient" Simmons user -- far before the DM10 I own now.

See you there, cheers  :)

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
I'm there. Thx
JimmyB

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »
I'm glad to see some interest in the new Simmons Site. I really like the Simmons hardware. Believe or not I've got both the Alesis Strike and Simmons SD2000 set-up back to back. It's the first time I had two drum kits set up at the same time. I play on one and then play on the other.

Offline JimmyB

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »
Comparisons of the two?
JimmyB

Offline Pier

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 03:52:40 PM »
I'm glad to see some interest in the new Simmons Site. I really like the Simmons hardware. Believe or not I've got both the Alesis Strike and Simmons SD2000 set-up back to back. It's the first time I had two drum kits set up at the same time. I play on one and then play on the other.
Wow, I envy you!  :)
I just got a mail reply from Simmons Drums factory: they don't plan to sell any SD2000 kit to Italy (that's where I live...)
Now I'm waiting for the release of DM10 MKII -- I think it will be right on my budget

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 09:10:53 PM »
Comparisons of the two?
JimmyB
That's a tough one. Your asking me to compare a $1300 (SD2000) vs. $2200 (Strike) kit.

I'll say this, nothing is falling apart on my Simmons kit. I can't really say that about my Alesis kit. :(

Online ChrisK

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Comparisons of the two?
JimmyB
That's a tough one. Your asking me to compare a $1300 (SD2000) vs. $2200 (Strike) kit.

I'll say this, nothing is falling apart on my Simmons kit. I can't really say that about my Alesis kit. :(

Well   the sided column with pad fall, the 4 essential don't fall, and you could glue them. But module wize, there is no comparison on the sound and feature, simmons sound are mostly 2 shots sample compare to lots more of layers and round robin with strike kit.

I think now with patents overs, Alesis can release new pad design with middle cone similar to roland in the middle, all will be fixed.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 11:56:02 PM »
Well   the sided column with pad fall, the 4 essential don't fall, and you could glue them. But module wize, there is no comparison on the sound and feature, simmons sound are mostly 2 shots sample compare to lots more of layers and round robin with strike kit.

I think now with patents overs, Alesis can release new pad design with middle cone similar to roland in the middle, all will be fixed.

Actually ChrisK, I'm have more issues (with the Stike) than just the outside columns falling over. My two smallest toms, center four column plate is sliding out of place and has run into the outer plate. Also the drum heads on the Strike keep stretching. At this rate the rims will be not much higher than the bearing edge of the shell.

BTW, most of the Simmons instruments are 4 samples deep, not two. If you really want to compare modules, I don't have to wait to change kits on the Simmons and the Simmons starts up on the last kit I was on. Two big differences that do matter.

In the end I don't think it's a good idea (fair) to compare a $1300.00 kit with a $2200.00 kit. But if we must, the Simmons is built a lot better than the Alesis, but (of course) the Alesis module is more robust.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 05:18:20 AM »

Actually ChrisK, I'm have more issues (with the Stike) than just the outside columns falling over. My two smallest toms, center four column plate is sliding out of place and has run into the outer plate. Also the drum heads on the Strike keep stretching. At this rate the rims will be not much higher than the bearing edge of the shell.
BTW, most of the Simmons instruments are 4 samples deep, not two. If you really want to compare modules, I don't have to wait to change kits on the Simmons and the Simmons starts up on the last kit I was on. Two big differences that do matter.

I saw the 4 imported layers on the editor, but limited to 28MB, but on video it sound like 2 for the internal, maybe the dynamic\setting are not appropriate, but if simmons don't release a significant module for their flagship, their market and audience will be small, the design\look, for many, they would not even consider to buy it, the vision of re introducing simmons  in 2017 is a bit strange idea, when most used traditional pad\mesh and want more the look of acoustic kit and sound. Despite all issue with strike kit, it will be more popular because of the module and the traditional edrum design used from Roland, in  my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 02:20:35 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 08:55:00 AM »
I saw the 4 imported layers on the editor, but limited to 28MB, but on video it sound like 2 for the internal, maybe the dynamic\setting are not appropriate, but if simmons don't release a significant module for their flagship, their market and audience will be small, tge design\look, for many, they would not even consider to buy it, the vision of re introducing simmons  in 2017 is a bit strange idea, when most used traditional pad\mesh and want more the look of acoustic kit and sound. Despite all issue with strike kit, it will be more popular because of the module and the traditional edrum design used from Roland, in  my opinion.

Yes, there are limitation with the new SD2000, but again we are talking about a $1300.00 kit. Yes I agree the more traditional edrum design will be more popular, but again I'm not seeing that kind of design in the $1300.00 price range. The Simmons look is more bold. Much on the same level as 2box (I'm referring to the look of the kit with this comparison and not module capabilities).

You seem to have the impression that because I like the SD2000 that somehow I don't like anything else. That just isn't true. I'm able to see (at $1300.00) what this kit has to offer and I can also see the major increases in quality that Simmons has made with the SD2000. What we are seeing from Simmons now is just the beginning.

Yes, I know this kit isn't the end all to be all. I also know that it isn't going to be the most popular kit, but it has a chance in the $1300.00 price class of kits. Quality matters and I think people are fed up with buy what they think is a great deal just to find out that thing starts falling apart within a week or so of use. That isn't happening with the new Simmons.

Online ChrisK

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2017, 10:10:54 PM »
I can see what sd2000 can do nice things just by reading the manual, I always like the SDX idea and how its works, still today no one able to do it with the intelligent fixed zone, in sd2000 there is things for creativity with velocity change on sound, Dave told in interview they did not used all capabilitie from the sdx for the base model , maybe the next one would use them most, its cool to see back some simmons sound on such of sds9, sds5 and others which I have the fantastic pluging VI simmons is about 95% the same with all function, I *might*  and maybe  interested if a new sdx kind is reborn for unique things, In my opinion they should focus on this instead of creating acoustic simulation, more sdx target and bit acoustic range.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 10:52:38 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 11:34:24 PM »
I can see what sd2000 can do nice things just by reading the manual, I always like the SDX idea and how its works, still today no one able to do it with the intelligent fixed zone, in sd2000 there is things for creativity with velocity change on sound, Dave told in interview they did not used all capabilitie from the sdx for the base model , maybe the next one would use them most, its cool to see back some simmons sound on such of sds9, sds5 and others which I have the fantastic pluging VI simmons is about 95% the same with all function, I *might*  and maybe  interested if a new sdx kind is reborn for unique things, In my opinion they should focus on this instead of creating acoustic simulation, more sdx target and bit acoustic range.

I think it is safe to assume the next module will be much more ambitious. That's why I stated this is just the beginning. I also agree with you about Simmons trying to go with more of the SDX idea. I think a good way for Simmons to go is to incorporate acoustic sounds with true synth sounds layered together. Or very sophisticated synth sounds that can emulate acoustic sounds (if they want to) with true real time nuance controls. If the synth is sophisticated enough, there would be no need for samples (when doing acoustic simulation) and with nuance controls there would be no machine gunning.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2017, 12:35:44 AM »
There's an impressive demo of Simmons drums by Alex Van Halen in this concert (from 16:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWLNBPS2r8
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:37:31 AM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2017, 12:21:26 PM »
There's an impressive demo of Simmons drums by Alex Van Halen in this concert (from 16:50): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIWLNBPS2r8

I wish Simmons had used those tom samples (SDS5 maybe) in the new SD2000. They have some similar sounds, but not exactly like those Alex Van Halen samples.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 12:28:35 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2017, 05:22:38 PM »

I wish Simmons had used those tom samples (SDS5 maybe) in the new SD2000. They have some similar sounds, but not exactly like those Alex Van Halen samples.

I see on the Simmons site there is a Wav File transfer program for the SD2000 that handles 16bit x 44100 (705kps) ...I have archives of old E-kits/machines and the sampled SDS5 and SDS8 kits from long ago.You're more than welcome to them.I will post links to them on the SDdrummer site

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:18:01 AM by Chaser »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2017, 12:20:48 AM »
Thanks Chaser for sharing those Simmons samples.

I've also been trying to simulate the snare drum sound in Alex's 1986 kit, which was a Ludwig 6.5"x14" wooden rosewood according to info on his website (alexvanhalendrums.com).   So I'd be very interested if anyone has some samples of it.

Offline Dobly

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2017, 06:41:10 AM »
Indeed, thanks Chaser..
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 06:44:56 AM by Dobly »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2017, 09:21:32 AM »

I see on the Simmons site there is a Wav File transfer program for the SD2000 that handles 16bit x 44100 (705kps) ...I have archives of old E-kits/machines and the sampled SDS5 and SDS8 kits from long ago.You're more than welcome to them.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these samples. Have you considered Sharing them over at SDdrummer.com? Plus we could always use more member over there as well.  ;)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 09:40:24 AM »

I see on the Simmons site there is a Wav File transfer program for the SD2000 that handles 16bit x 44100 (705kps) ...I have archives of old E-kits/machines and the sampled SDS5 and SDS8 kits from long ago.You're more than welcome to them.

I tried unzipping the files but they are unzipping into an odd file type. They turn into another odd zip file (.zip.cpgz). I'm not sure what that file type is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »

I tried unzipping the files but they are unzipping into an odd file type. They turn into another odd zip file (.zip.cpgz). I'm not sure what that file type is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you on a Mac?.if so...it's stuck in a loop...

http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/

I will post links to them on the SDdrummer site

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:19:00 AM by Chaser »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2017, 10:19:18 AM »

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these samples. Have you considered Sharing them over at SDdrummer.com? Plus we could always use more member over there as well.  ;)

When I seen the mention of the SDS5 and a program for the SD2000..the first thing I thought of was SDdrummer
Hopefully they are close to what you are looking for...

Those samples are just a few as I have kits for the SDS5(V) and others with more detail in their file name..The file properties show they were sampled in 2000.
I have all the factory sounds that were pulled off the rom's.I just have to dig them out.
 I think I put them all on Zip disk with a portable Zip drive (remember those?..latest and greatest at the time..lol)..in a box with the E-prom burner.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2017, 10:43:03 AM »
Thanks Chaser for sharing those Simmons samples.

I've also been trying to simulate the snare drum sound in Alex's 1986 kit, which was a Ludwig 6.5"x14" wooden rosewood according to info on his website (alexvanhalendrums.com).   So I'd be very interested if anyone has some samples of it.
I'll try not to hijack this thread....maybe we should start a sample post? in the top floor  in case prying eyes (manufacturers,Sample distributors  etc.) gets their panties in a bunch (copyright claims etc)

AVH used a TAMA Rosewood with gaffa tape triangle..I read somewhere in an old forum he used for VHI and VHII and used in his kit early 80's.. Fair Warning.
Ludwig eventually did a special build for him.otherwise I think he was using Supraphonic..

I found the specs for the snare..there was one on ebay a year or so ago.
Ludwig Limited Edition Alex Van Halen Rosewood Snare Drum 6.5" x 14"
Model: LS403TD67WMAVH1
#58 of 100 ever made.
(Cool fact: Alex was born on 5/8)

*15-plys of rare Honduran Santos Rosewood
*Autographed label inside shell
*100yr Ludwig Badge
*Special Alex Van Halen Ludwig badge
*Ludwig Millennial strainer
*10 Tube Lugs
*Die Cast Hoops
*40 strand snare wires
*The shell is beautifully finished inside and out

It may be easier to find a TAMA Sample and tweak it or pull it off a multitrack/stem?
Have you checked with Drumwerks? They have massive amounts of snare samples.
http://www.drumwerks.com/product-category/snare-samples/

Online Hellfire

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2017, 11:13:14 AM »

I attached using Winzip this time...last was Winrar...see if that helps.

Thanks! Yes, I'm on a Mac and yes these unzipped perfectly. Thanks again.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2017, 12:02:10 PM »

I attached using Winzip this time...last was Winrar...see if that helps.

Thanks! Yes, I'm on a Mac and yes these unzipped perfectly. Thanks again.

That's good to hear !..I used legacy setting(max compatibility in winzip)
I'll dig out all the kits I have an upload to SDdrummer...Is there going to be a section for this?..or do you want in Commons?.. Vst/recording area?

I found a couple more kits...I am unsure if there was a MaxV kit ?..or if it was Max Velocity.. was the SDS5 considered the better of the two?
I will post links to them on the SDdrummer site

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:20:20 AM by Chaser »