Author Topic: Another New Crimson Owner  (Read 1322 times)

Offline stevewa

Another New Crimson Owner
« on: January 02, 2020, 11:30:27 PM »
Hey everyone,

Newbie from the Pacific Northwest. I've been a guitarist all my life but bashing some drums just seems like a good time too. ;D Due to some indecision on my part, I just missed out on a complete Nitro Mesh Kit that was selling for $50 locally. Stinging from my stupidity, I kept looking and then found an ad asking $350 for a mostly complete Crimson Kit. It had all 5 pads, the rack, brain, and hi hat/cymbals. What seemed missing was the hi hat foot pedal and the kick pedal.

After some eBay searching, I decided that I'd still be getting a good deal even if I had to order a few items to complete the kit. I rolled the dice and went for it. When I picked it up, I learned it was also missing the snake cable, power supply, and snare stand. Argh. Oh well. I currently have a lot of pieces on order but I got the most critical piece today- the power supply. The module powers up and was able to test each drum piece individually so everything looks good so far. I definitely have a few kit questions to come but I'm pretty excited as well!

Steve

Re: Another New Crimson Owner
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:24:57 PM »
Hey and welcome! Just curious, did you order a hi-hat foot controller already?
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline stevewa

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 12:16:59 AM »
Thanks! Yeah, I have ordered one. Given the photos of the kit on the Alesis website, I just looked for the same thing on eBay and picked one up there. I have one last cymbal coming tomorrow and my kit is complete-

As you can see, I added the 4th Tom & the 2nd Crash, and I picked up a Drumsplitter cable so that I can add a 3rd cymbal. After a week of playing around, I've noticed that I have problems finding/hitting the ride's bell so I'm now mulling adding one more small cymbal or perhaps a Pintech Tube trigger just for the bell sound.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
Lookin good! I also added a 4th tom and 2nd crash pretty quickly as well.
I asked about the pedal because mine has been in a closet for 2 years. I would have let ya have it at just the cost of shipping.

With the ride cymbal, I can trigger the bell pretty accurately hitting on the lower left (where I assume the piezo must be) of the bell and of course using the shank of the stick.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2020, 02:38:44 AM »
@stevewa.  great setup . mine look simular but i swapped my 12 snare with the 10 tom .. it feels like the 12 snare is to big with my double base pedal.  with the 10 inch tom as snare i have more room to play like this.  it does not feel unnatural  but the 12 floor is now kinda big .. i might go back just to feel the diff.  can you explane me how that cable spitter worls with the 5th cymbal ?  thanx

Offline stevewa

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 01:32:37 PM »
Yeah, sure thing. This is all new to me but your toms have two trigger zones- the rim and the drum face. The Drumsplitter cable is a physical "Y" cable that takes the integreated signal and pushes it out into two separate cables. Once that's done, you simply connect a cymbal to the rim's cable connection and then change the voice assignment inside the drum module's kit. They say that there are some downsides to this approach- you lose the ability to play both triggers at the same time (tom face and cymbal masquerading as the tom's rim) and if you're connecting a cymbal using this device, you can't choke the cymbal.

This video has a basic rundown and a link in the video's description to the manufacturer's website:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRiwrfWAVg0

I'm using the male splitter, straight out of the back of the module & the TOM4 jack.

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 04:51:59 AM »
That makes perfect sense!   thank you .