Author Topic: Can pre-recorded drum tracks be made for gigs (Alesis Strike)  (Read 1140 times)

Offline stylazyn

Hi all,

I am a drummer who gigs with the Alesis Strike and I happen to be a lead singer for many songs as well. Is it possible to prerecord drum tracks and play over during a song? It would be the type of thing where I start the track, the band comes in, I sing, but during guitar leads I could drum over (play along with)?

Offline Chaser

Re: Can pre-recorded drum tracks be made for gigs (Alesis Strike)
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 12:53:38 PM »
Hi all,

I am a drummer who gigs with the Alesis Strike and I happen to be a lead singer for many songs as well. Is it possible to prerecord drum tracks and play over during a song? It would be the type of thing where I start the track, the band comes in, I sing, but during guitar leads I could drum over (play along with)?

There are a quite a few ways to do this if you are using an Ipad..Bandhelper etc..you can trigger using MIDI.
I presume you want to do it as a standalone using the STRIKE module.

The procedure creates an Instrument using the onboard Sampler and you save the Instrument to the Instruments folder..however the sample created just gets dumped into the Sample Folder.
You could create a Drum Tracks Folder in the Sample Folder but you would then need to open the STRIKE EDITOR and recreate the Instrument as the Sample location will change.
Keep in mind the file size effects the overall Kit size

First create the Folders..
External SD Card under Instruments Folder create Drum Track Folder.
External SD Card under Samples Folder create Drum Track Folder.
If you use punctuation before the Name the STRIKE module will automatically place the folder at the top of the hierarchy so you won't have to scroll through all the other folders on the screen

Then on the module select SAMPLE

SAMPLE MODE..
Press Record..set options (AUX INPUT..INTERNAL..AUX+INTERNAL..STEREO or MONO) (select Internal to record the module/drums)
Press Record....PERFORM....Press Stop when done..
You can trim it by setting start and end points using the encoder dial and moving the brackets to the start/stop points or proceed directly to save it.

Press SAVE
Enter Name..
Press Arrow/Cursor down to SAVE
Use Data Dial/Encoder/Jog Wheel to scroll to Select..Instrument..Full Sample..Trimmed Sample..(you want to select Instrument)

Press Arrow/Cursor down to CATEGORY
Use Data Dial/Encoder/Jog to scroll to Select Folder select DRUM TRACKS Folder you created.. (Folders are in the Main Instruments Folder)

Press F3 (SAVE)

Go to Kit and assign the New Instrument (Drum Track) you created to a Voice layer or Trigger.
If all your triggers are filled or you don't want to assign to a rim etc The STRIKE Kick is actually Dual Zone and you can split the trigger and use a pedal or a small trigger somewhere on your rack (cowbell etc) to trigger the DRUM TRACK.I am surprised the topic didn't get much of a response as the STRIKE module is the only one I know that supports a Dual Zone..Dual Piezo Kick and Alesis has never promoted it or even realized it's there.

To access the STRIKE 2nd kick you must be in Note Chase.From there you can assign MIDI note Channel Voice etc and have access to all settings.
The 2nd Kick has everything turned OFF including FX..assigning to other triggers/layers and you will need to adjust all the settings accordingly.If using an existing trigger/layer you must turn DECAY to OFF or the Track will start then fade out..If using an External Pre-recorded song etc..Turn OFF all the FX etc or they will be applied.

IMPORTANT:You will only see the 2nd Kick if Note Chase is on otherwise it will not appear in any menus.

I see you are a RUSH fan so I included a  setup for an example with the folders and a Drum Track/ Instrument already created in STRIKE EDITOR..just copy the the instruments/sample folders to your ext SD card and assign the instrument to a Voice.It will give you an idea of how it works.
The folders will appear at the top on the STRIKE modules Menu Screen
RUSH songs are typically longer than most and the smallest file I could create for a full song example is 24mb.

Moving Pictures..Tom Sawyer.16/44...4 min:38 sec...

EDIT:
I forgot to mention..and it's important to note..
In Sample mode..you must press start or stop for the sample player as the sample can't be triggered.
There is no way to start a track again where you left off after being stopped and the only way to stop a Track triggered by an Instrument (other than it decaying to it's end) is to use the Data Dial/Encoder/Jog wheel and change kit and then back so choose your track wisely and decide if it's a full song length (like an underlying beat used as a metronome) or replace the chorus or ending where you play fills after it's triggered etc...when/where you start it is critical...smaller tracks like a few bars etc would be the best way to apply/trigger this "sequencer type" trick and it can also be set to trigger at a specific velocity.
You can also increment/decrement using a MIDI signal/Pedal and send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:59:12 PM by Chaser »