Author Topic: Audio Recording - Audio Interface with 1 mic + 1 Inst input  (Read 1018 times)

Audio Recording - Audio Interface with 1 mic + 1 Inst input
« on: November 07, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »
Hullo,
Real noob post... which I wish I didn't have to ask, but my google-fu is failing me.

I'm wanting to essentially record the audio output of my kit as stereo tracks on software such audacity on my laptop, and saw a vid on YouTube where the chap used a Behringer box with many inputs.

I was hoping that a box like this Behringer UMC22 (like this) would suffice, and would give me the stereo signal over it's USB if I plugged my drum modules L/R outputs into it's Mic + Inst 1 inputs... but I'm honestly confused as to if this would work or if I'd need a bigger interface box with more mic inputs.

Apologies if this is doesn't make sense, this is my first foray into recording.
Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Audio Recording - Audio Interface with 1 mic + 1 Inst input
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
Hullo,
Real noob post... which I wish I didn't have to ask, but my google-fu is failing me.

I'm wanting to essentially record the audio output of my kit as stereo tracks on software such audacity on my laptop, and saw a vid on YouTube where the chap used a Behringer box with many inputs.

I was hoping that a box like this Behringer UMC22 (like this) would suffice, and would give me the stereo signal over it's USB if I plugged my drum modules L/R outputs into it's Mic + Inst 1 inputs... but I'm honestly confused as to if this would work or if I'd need a bigger interface box with more mic inputs.

Apologies if this is doesn't make sense, this is my first foray into recording.
Thanks

The UMC22 has a Mic/Line input and the 2nd is Instrument...it is the bare minimum to get by with and eventually you will want more features.
I would step up a little to the UMC202HD.
The UMC202HD has(2) Mic..or (2)Instruments or (2)Line or any combination as it has the option to switch the inputs impedance from Mic vs Line vs Instrument

Keep in mind neither one of those has MIDI support if you eventually want to use the drum module as a MIDI controller and play a Virtual Instrument
(eventually everyone gets tired of the modules sounds and want better) you would have to use the USB from the module and take up an additional USB port on the computer if you still used the interface.
It is always best to use the interface as the sound card as it takes the stress off the computer resources

If you plan on using MIDI in the future and want an all in one interface..then you would want the UMC204HD.
It is basically the UMC202HD but has 5 PIN MIDI so you can connect the Drum module (or Keyboard etc..anything with 5 PIN MIDI) and then only be using one USB port.

Audacity is good for FREE but does not support Virtual Instruments and very very little support MIDI.

Bandlab (formerly SONAR Cakewalk)  is a full featured DAW.. and FREE. (Windows)

Waveform (Tracktion) is also fully featured,completely unlimited..and FREE (Windows/Mac/Linux/Raspberry PI/Raspian)

Here is a FREE fully functioning drum VST that doesn't expire Steven Slate SSD5.5.
and a large database of FREE VST.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention...
The holidays are getting closer and Black Friday Deals are starting so with a little patience you may be able to get the best interface for the least price , which everyone certainly needs these days during COVID.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 05:51:32 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 04:09:17 AM »
Wow... thank you for such a full and helpful response. I think I will want midi at some point, yes, so I really appreciate all the useful info  :)

Offline Storklor

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 08:49:15 PM »
I second the UMC204HD suggestion. I picked one up in April and have zero complaints. Rock solid, I’ve used it to record my Strike, guitars, keys, vocals, and as a MIDI interface to run Addictive Drummer 2 with the Strike. Never any problems.

Also tossing out a DAW suggestion for Reaper.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:34:50 AM »
The U-PHORIA Interfaces are a great value and I was not a fan of Behringer because of past experiences with products.
Reaper is also a great option...but a steep learning curve for someone just starting out..

NOTICE:
I received my "VIP" Presale notice from Guitar Center for Black Friday (Nov 27)
Black Friday Presale event is one day .. Nov 22.
ALL of the above Behringer products are in that presale catalog so anyone that has them in their cart on Nov 22 gets Black Friday Pricing..
"VIP" doesn't mean much...just trying to get me to spend money sooner than later.The Black friday pricing should be applied to every account holders cart on Nov 22

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 06:43:54 PM »
New to e-drumming. Great info. Thanks!