Author Topic: Compatability of pads  (Read 929 times)

Chuck Stick

Compatability of pads
« on: May 17, 2023, 02:09:10 PM »
I have a Millennium MPS420 and am looking at buying a cheap second hand pad as an accessory (cow bell- that sort of thing ) I am looking at something nice and small like a DM5 pad but doses anyone have any ideas if it will work or not on my kit. My connections are the standard 1/4 jack
Thank you   

Offline Chaser

Re: Compatability of pads
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 09:49:58 PM »
I have a Millennium MPS420 and am looking at buying a cheap second hand pad as an accessory (cow bell- that sort of thing ) I am looking at something nice and small like a DM5 pad but doses anyone have any ideas if it will work or not on my kit. My connections are the standard 1/4 jack
Thank you

Welcome to the Forum !!!

Alesis and Millenium both offer a number of Medeli Re-Brands..so the Kit pieces are usually interchangeable..
The Millenium MPS450 Module is based on the Medeli MZ528 Module.(Link to a more detail Manual)
Medeli Modules have a "Digital" section and a GM Section which the majority of user aren't aware it exists in the module..
The Re-Branded Modules may have Firmware or Hardware limitations compared to the original Module Design..
EXAMPLE:Single Zone Toms instead of Dual Zone..

The Millenium MPS450 Product Description States "Mono" (Single Zone) Toms as are the Cymbals...."Mono with Stop Function" which is Single Zone with Choke.
I don't know who wrote it up but obviously not an E-drummer.
According to the manual for the original MZ528 Module it supports Dual Zone Toms so check the DB25 Trigger Harness and see if the cable ends are TRS (Tip Ring..Sleeve).
If they are TRS connect the Snare (which should be Dual Zone) to a Tom cable  and see if the rim works.
It will show up on the Screen/menu after striking the Rim..If the Rim does not display or "activate" then it's a Firmware limitation.
If the cables are TS (Tip Sleeve) then unfortunately the DB25 Harness has been changed..usually this isn't done...not cost effective..
The Millenium MPS450 Manual and the Medelii MZ528 Manual list the same specs..which include articulations for the Rims..
Specifications
Maximum Polyphony
Drum kits
Kit: 40 (30 Presets + 10 Users)
GM Drum Kit: 9 GM Drum Kits
Instruments
Instrument: 408 + 11 Hi-hat Combination
Sequencer
Preset Pattern: 80
User Song: 5
Tick: 192 ticks per beat
Record: Real-time Record
Data Capacity: About 2500 notes

According to the MIDI Map...
The Toms are dual zone..Piezo/Piezo..(All Alesis..Millenium and multiple other brands are Piezo/Piezo..for the most part..avoid Yamaha)
The Cymbals are single zone (Bow)
The Ride is Dual Zone Bow/Edge..NO Bell..

The MIDI Mapping is GM Standard...

21-Hi Hat Splash
36-Kick
38-Snare Head
39-Tom 4 Rim
40-Snare Rim
41-Tom 4 Head
42-Hi Hat Closed
43-Tom 3 Head
44-Hi Hat Pedal
45-Tom 2 Head
46-Hi Hat Open
47-Tom 2 Rim
48-Tom 1 Head
49-Crash 1 Bow
50-Tom 1 Rim
51-Ride Bow
57-Crash 2 Bow
58-Tom 3 Rim
59-Ride Edge

To answer your question...any pad or anything (You can DYI/attach a Piezo to anything) with a Piezo will work..
If you end up with Dual Zone capabilities you can then use Dual Zone Toms and use the single zone toms for "accessories..cow bell,percussion etc as you can split the Triggers (TRS to TS Y cable) and use (2) Piezo type triggers per input/cable..

EDIT:
Added Links..
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 10:58:19 PM by Chaser »

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 08:44:57 AM »
@Chaser

Just wanted to say thanks for answering this questions. Very detail and informative. :)

Unfortunately the person that asked, signed up for an account, got his answer and then wanted his account deleted. Since he didn't thank you, I thought I would.

I'm starting to see a trend with this kind of thing. In the last few months, I've seen about three accounts that signed up to just get a question answered and then asked to have the account deleted.  ::)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 11:52:19 AM »
@Chaser

Just wanted to say thanks for answering this questions. Very detail and informative. :)

Unfortunately the person that asked, signed up for an account, got his answer and then wanted his account deleted. Since he didn't thank you, I thought I would.

I'm starting to see a trend with this kind of thing. In the last few months, I've seen about three accounts that signed up to just get a question answered and then asked to have the account deleted.  ::)

What!!!..No Thank You and No Likes?!..lol

I see the trend increasing as well.."Hit n Runners"..some Public Forums have set requiremets to a min of posts/replies for access to posting questions,downloads etc but that gets bypassed by numerous "Hi" posts ..
I don't belong to any Social Media as I can't stand the impatience and immediate demand for an answer especially a rant or the "Entitlement Attitude".
I will never respond to a rant here..even if I have the answer or can help.I refuse to be an enabler and reward bad behavior.
If someone has an issue with Alesis/InMusic then take it to them or their Social Media.The Forum is for solutions to problems.
I have been informed by others that do belong to various Social Media that a lot of information gets copied and posted without any links etc and "I" gets the credit becoming the "Zero to Hero"...which is why I started trying to use attachments more and more instead of embedding images,forces at least an effort to sign up.
The Top Floor Club doesn't see much activity these days..maybe start posting answers there and providing a link in the Public Forum with "You need at least 50 posts to view" and lower the Top Floor min post requirement to 50?..then again instead of increasing participation you may wake up with 100's of "Hi" post over night...and more work , which defeats the purpose..

Appreciate the Thanks..I don't think there are many that appreciate/realize you pay the bills and and maintain the site and that one day it and all the info and members..will be gone...
« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 12:15:41 PM by Chaser »