Author Topic: Strike Hi-Hat as a replacement of Pro-X???  (Read 1322 times)

Strike Hi-Hat as a replacement of Pro-X???
« on: December 02, 2022, 03:23:15 AM »
I want to do some upgrading to my kit, and was wondering Has anyone attempted to use a Strike Hi-Hat on a kit that has the setting for the Pro-X (Crimson II SE, DM10)   

Did it work?   

Or is there an alternate brand Hi-Hat that works on the Pro-X setting?

I just want to get my hi-Hat on its own stand so I can split off my toms, and make a kit big enough to do the drum break of "In The Air Tonight".

(You think I'm joking)

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Hi-Hat as a replacement of Pro-X???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 02:37:57 PM »
I want to do some upgrading to my kit, and was wondering Has anyone attempted to use a Strike Hi-Hat on a kit that has the setting for the Pro-X (Crimson II SE, DM10)   

Did it work?   

Or is there an alternate brand Hi-Hat that works on the Pro-X setting?

The Original STRIKE Hi Hat (12") uses the same bottom cymbal/controller as the Pro-X.
The main difference is the Pro-X top cymbal is/was single zone while the STRIKE is Dual zone.
The STRIKE Pro SE uses the same controller ..just the bottom cymbal with the 3 sensors was removed/replaced with a boot/cover.
The STRIKE 12" top cymbal was replaced with a 14" cymbal (crash) which is actually single cable Triple (3) Zone.
The reason for the replacement is the new chrome spring that was issued is too long and binds/closes the FSR before reaching the 3 sensors on the bottom cymbal..so no use for it.
Personally I still use the 2 piece setup and the bottom cymbal Black Spring..but not the 12" top cymbal..but that's for a another Topic..another time.

I discovered the Original Crimson module and the DM10 MKII Pro module support Dual Zone Hi Hats.
The DM10 MKII Pro has the Pro-X settings under the menu..the original Crimson does not.
However I also discovered if you have the Hi Hat setting on Pro-X the module auto-defaults to a single zone Hi Hat..under the pedal setting the Dual Zone Hi Hat appears..if activated.

Alesis Crimson DUAL ZONE Hi Hat

Check you module to see if it supports a Dual Zone Hi Hat..The Hi Hat cable should be TRS as all the Medeli DD650 modules use the same DB25 harness..just different firmware...make sure the Hi Hat is set to Pedal.
One user reported it didn't..but that is also the only one to ever respond and before I purchased a DM10 MKII pro and found out about the Zone difference between Pro-X and Pedal settings...if it doesn't then no sense purchasing the entire STRIKE Hi Hat setup as you can purchase the Pro-X top cymbal w/clutch,controller and spring separately at Instrumental parts for around $100 USD with shipping..which would match a cymbal setup that uses the DMPad models.The top cymbal is roughly 1/2 the cost and most complained it was loud.."acoustically"..like a trashcan lid.If you already have a Hi Hat with a clutch it may work as it just presses down on the spring..which actuates the FSR.
Look around and check your options..maybe you can find a setup cheaper.The prices have gone up on ebay.
You can also ask at Instrumental if they have the Newer STRIKE assembly.

Top Cymbal assembly

FSR

Spring cover

Chrome Spring

I just want to get my hi-Hat on its own stand so I can split off my toms, and make a kit big enough to do the drum break of "In The Air Tonight".

(You think I'm joking)

Here's a Helpful Hint..
Sonic Reality has updated the 3rd party Licensing for BFD 3.4 (InMusic)
If you plan on using BFD and you want Genesis/Phil Collins Kits..get the HUGH PADGHAM - BIG FILL KIT
It includes (2) 6 tom kits..Toms 1-6,Toms2-7..and was recorded at "The Farm"

Sonic Reality has offered Artist Kits for BFD for years....Including
Vinnie Appice
Terry Bozzio
Bill Cobham
Nick Mason
Rod Morgenstein
Alan Parsons
Neil Peart
Bob Siebenberg
Woody Woodmansey

Also..if you join KVR ,members get better discounts on BFD expansions than what Inmusic offers.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 08:03:16 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 11:33:12 PM »
The Original STRIKE Hi Hat (12") uses the same bottom cymbal/controller as the Pro-X.
The main difference is the Pro-X top cymbal is/was single zone while the STRIKE is Dual zone.
The STRIKE Pro SE uses the same controller ..just the bottom cymbal with the 3 sensors was removed/replaced with a boot/cover........

Wow.   I really appreciate the thorough response!   Sounds like.maybe finding either an old Pro-x or first generation Strike hi-hat is in my near future.  I'm in Canada so it could get pricey if I need to ship from the US. 

Here's a Helpful Hint..
Sonic Reality has updated the 3rd party Licensing for BFD 3.4 (InMusic)
If you plan on using BFD and you want Genesis/Phil Collins  Kits..get the HUGH PADGHAM - BIG FILL KIT
It includes (2) 6 tom kits..Toms 1-6,Toms2-7..and was recorded at "The Farm"

Oh I know... which is why I bought BFD3 when it was on sale last week lol!

Thanks for the snapshots of the setup on BFD3.  Disappointed they didn't set it up left handed!  Guessing you are a Genesis fan as well?

I also want to get the Neil Peart and Nick Mason kits.   

But thank you for telling me about KVR.  I will sign up with them!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 01:24:24 AM »
Just to throw it out there, Laurin Drums (Canada) Hi Hats (12" or 14") come with the Hi Hat stand controller that is compatible with Alesis modules. (not the stand, just the controller that sits on the stand)
The controller is also available separately.

Just plug the cable that normally goes to the pedal into the controller (Just under the Hi Hat Cymbal) and it just works - there may be some normal trigger settings to adjust - sensitivity, curve, etc.,

I'm going to be trying them out really soon (next couple of weeks) so I'll report back in This Thread
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 01:27:14 AM by Dartanbeck »
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline AlanK

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 09:29:04 AM »
Anxiously awaiting your review! I have the Pro X and so this may be an alternative for me to try as well if it's more responsive!
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 11:59:30 AM »
I'll throw it out there that on the Strike I've had perfect results with the new Lemon 2 piece hihat.  The Strike doesn't play nicely with a drop clutch, so I now trigger them through an edrumin, but when I played them through the module, everything was perfect (granted I only played for about 10 minutes before realizing the drop clutch problem.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 12:01:50 PM by thebigz »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 02:09:00 PM »
There's an Open Box Strike Pro SE Hi Hat on Reverb right now. That's a single-cymbal on hi hat stand setup. They say it's a VAST improvement over the original.

Not sure if drop clutch would work on it though.

I'm hoping that it works on the Laurin, but even if it does I'm going to use Addictive Drums 2 to create a cymbal stack to simulate a nearly closed hat for a nearby trigger
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist