Author Topic: Drum loops to play over during a show on Android?  (Read 463 times)

Offline stylazyn

Drum loops to play over during a show on Android?
« on: July 21, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
Hey fellow drummers,

Still trying to nail this down.

I play in a band and I want to loop some percussion, like shakers with congas for example, and drum on top of it during live shows. I use the Alesis Strike module and found an app for Android called Loopz but it doesn't allow for loop creation.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can incorporate what I want to do? Maybe I have to use a drum machine app.

Offline Chaser

Re: Drum loops to play over during a show on Android?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 01:40:10 PM »
Hey fellow drummers,

I play in a band and I want to loop some percussion, like shakers with congas for example, and drum on top of it during live shows. I use the Alesis Strike module and found an app for Android called Loopz but it doesn't allow for loop creation.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can incorporate what I want to do? Maybe I have to use a drum machine app.

Did you try creating a loop as an instrument on the module ?..
It is basically the same procedure that I posted  here for an entire track...

In this video a percussion loop is created ..trimmed..saved as an instrument..assigned to a rim..then setting the velocity to start/stop the loop.

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2022, 03:14:25 PM »
Hey fellow drummers,

Did you try creating a loop as an instrument on the module ?..
It is basically the same procedure that I posted  here for an entire track...

In this video a percussion loop is created ..trimmed..saved as an instrument..assigned to a rim..then setting the velocity to start/stop the loop.
Can it save multiple loops for differentsongs?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2022, 10:31:02 PM »
Can it save multiple loops for differentsongs?

You are creating instruments using loops...nothing to do with how many loops can be saved for however many songs.
You can build an entire kit consisting of instrument/loops for every zone/layer if you wanted to.
If you have a 100 songs that use the same kit but need different loops ..duplicate a 100 user kits and assign the desired instrument/loops to each kit and name the kit appropriately..or 10 songs..10 kits etc etc.You are only limited to the number of zones/layers available and final kit size..obviously if you plan on using large amount of long loops in one kit to cover multiple songs you will exceed kit size and loops longer than a few bars is more like looping patterns or looping backing tracks.
User Kit file size(skt) on average are 3KB..so well over 300 User Kits only take up 1 megabyte of storage , which leaves plenty of room on the SD Card and I have used cards up to 128GB.Just remember It takes the module additional time to do the initial scan on startup if you are using anything over 64GB and it's Full...especially when using the Editor.It's best to use smaller cards and just change them out.

If you want to use a phone/tablet there are a vast number of options for iOS including many multiple pads types that can be assigned loops and triggered by MIDI.. BeatHawk..Zenbeats..AKAI iMPC are just a few. Android not as much.Some of the large companies developed DAW's and some apps only work on Samsung Galaxy phones in Soundcamp.I think AKAI iMPC became available but you have to purchase it through Soundcamp.
Android has been behind for years and didn't even start pursuing MIDI until 2015/2016 so a decade behind..at least.
I know a lot of performers that have an Android phone..but use iOS.. iPad's etc for actually creating/performing Music.
There are some Android apps still being updated that came out 10 years ago like  SPC - Music Sketchpad 2 for Android,loops can go as far as 8 bars long.You can import your own wav files from a SD Card...BandHelper is available.
There are others I have seen including Loopmaker Pro and some DJ apps, but like a number of Android apps most have low ratings and the biggest complaints are quality,lack of support and ad's...it seems the main thing you pay for these days "in app" is to have Ad's removed.

One very good app to consider which is more like a DAW and that would be G-Stomper.
There are multiple versions so it requires some research to see which applies and I believe all are Free downloads)Free usually means you pay to have the Ad's removed) with everything else in app purchasing.