Author Topic: strike pro se and multipad  (Read 981 times)

strike pro se and multipad
« on: November 17, 2022, 10:08:21 AM »
Hello evryone! my name is doodlethedrummer. I am currently in the process of building the strike pro se kit inline with the multipad. i also plan on adding foot switiches extra kick, snare and hithat along with an extra srash and hopefully two toms. im not sure how the strike moduel will handel all the new triggers as ive never done this. If anyone has done something simular i would love to chat and disues how all the extra triggers work!

Offline Chaser

Re: strike pro se and multipad
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2022, 02:33:29 PM »
Hello evryone! my name is doodlethedrummer. I am currently in the process of building the strike pro se kit inline with the multipad. i also plan on adding foot switiches extra kick, snare and hithat along with an extra srash and hopefully two toms. im not sure how the strike moduel will handel all the new triggers as ive never done this. If anyone has done something simular i would love to chat and disues how all the extra triggers work!

Welcome to the Forum !

When you say "Inline" is the intention to use additional triggers added to the STRIKE Multipad then 5 pin MIDI into the STRIKE Module to use the STRIKE Module as a sound module? 

The STRIKE module isn't expandable...there are no extra MIDI notes to have Triggers/Voices assigned to them...the most you can do is split the Triggers.
The original DM10 was one of the few modules that is expandable DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O

You can setup a MIDI Loop using the SMP as a Audio/MIDI Interface/Sound Module...(Minimal cabling)

STRIKE Module Main Outs (Stereo) to SMP Record In.(there is a Mic/Line setting)The sound from these inputs is also passed to the Main, Aux, or Phones Outputs..change routing under Utility)
STRIKE Module MIDI OUT to SMP MIDI IN..
SMP USB (Bi-Direction Audio/MIDI) to Tablet/iPad/PC/Mac..(iPadOS has had significant advances/Improvements)
SMP Aux/Main Outs to FOH/Amp etc.TheAux OUT can also be routed to Aux input on the STRIKE Module for sampling/creating loops/Quick Instruments...(Y cable TS to 1/8" TRS)

Then all the MIDI from the SMP and the STRIKE Module can be used to trigger loops/samples/songs/VST/DMX Lighting etc from Tablet/iPad/PC/Mac and the Audio/MIDI can be routed back through USB to the SMP and Audio to the SMP Main Outs.
The STRIKE Module and SMP can also Sample from the Audio ..for the STRIKE Module you would need to run  a cable from the SMP Aux to the Aux in on the STRIKE Module..(2 TS 1/4 to 18" TRS) as mentioned above.
If you want to trigger sounds in the STRIKE Module from external app program (add 5 pin MIDI from SMP MIDI OUT to STRIKE Module MIDI IN.)just keep in mind doing so closes the MID loop so MIDI Notes will loop.
A successful setup relies on MIDI Note and channel assignments.If triggers/Voices etc are assigned the same MIDI Notes and on the same MIDI Channel they will trigger simultaneously which is great for stacking/layer but you can also have unwanted triggering events.
The STRIKE Module has a Gobal MIDI Channel and the Voices each have their own MIDI Channel and MIDI Note assignment so you can use the same MIDI note..sent on a different MIDI Channel.
The SMP has a Global MIDI Channel..Pads have MIDI Note assignments.
You can also assign Voices/Articulations/Sounds/MIDI Notes to the SMP External triggers without having a trigger connected..using Pad Cue. 
Sky's the limit..

I recommend you a some sort of of planning of what you want to import..apps/Vst you want to use..a set list etc....before the SMP public Facebook page went to Private (I don't belong to any Social media),I read a lot of users abusing the sample import (a kazillion at once) and then trying to delete them or exporting extremely large kits/banks and corrupting the file system.The combination of Unlimited sample size and massive sample imports/exports(bank) ..and a FAT32 system = problems.

Follow this Guide..

Alesis Strike Multipad  "Importing wav files"

Firmware Update: V1.3.0

Alesis USB Thumb Drive Details:
- Maximum of 32GB
- Format to fat32
- Import up to 10 wav files at a time
- Import Mono or Stereo wav files
- Import up to 27MB for one wav file
- Backup / Save your 'User Kits'
- Export Samples from 'Sample Manager'
- Export up to 256 samples at a time

Importing files can lead to a Malfunction:
- Avoid importing more than 1,000 wav files
- The unit may turn off while importing
- Avoid Large Files (Greater than 27MB)
- Contact Alesis if it malfunctions or contact the store where you bought it from.

STRIKE MULTIPAD TUTORIALS

For sample editing Alesis is recommending their Sample converter Utility (Win MacOS) in the new revamping of their Knowledge base which I believe converts only to 16/44 mono.
I haven't used in a awhile..it's a quick..drag/drop guaranteed solution.

Audacity works quite well.It supports VST (FX) (Not VSTi..instruments)..still no MIDI support yet, however Audacity (open source) was acquired by MuseGroup (Russia..also owns MuseScore, Ultimate Guitar).There was a big controversy about adding telemetry,Adware etc and how International/ Russian Laws are different for collecting info.I haven't checked for a while v2.4.2 (Win macOS) was the last version without it...v3.0.2 was the last version before being "acquired" but reports were it has a sketchy changelog and v3 and up run slower.
There is also another opensource ocenaudio (It is QT based) and supports platforms new and old.
It also supports Vst..has real time preview and you can simultaneously select different portions of an audio file and listen, edit or even apply an effect to them.I have been using it for quick editing ever since.I haven't done a feature comparison of the 2,but If I remember correctly ocenaudio is a single track editor and cannot do multi-track audio editing and No support for commonly-used formats like MP4 and MPEG.

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 04:05:04 PM by Chaser »