Author Topic: Alesis Ride comparison  (Read 452 times)

Alesis Ride comparison
« on: December 28, 2021, 09:56:26 PM »
I am curious about the two trigger version ride that comes with Strike SE - what?s the advantage of two triggers?
I have the 3 zone single trigger ride on the crimson se kit and it seems to work pretty decent. Wondering how it compares to the the two trigger strike version?

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis Ride comparison
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 10:26:01 PM »
I am curious about the two trigger version ride that comes with Strike SE - what?s the advantage of two triggers?
I have the 3 zone single trigger ride on the crimson se kit and it seems to work pretty decent. Wondering how it compares to the the two trigger strike version?

Welcome to the Forum !!

The STRIKE module uses a Dual cable Triple (3) Zone Ride....Bow/Bell=Ride 1 input....Edge = Ride 2 input
The single cable Triple (3) Zone you'll only get Bow and Bell..No Edge..if you hit the Edge with velocity it will trigger the Bell.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 04:10:41 PM »
Awesome thx so much. But curious why the one trigger ride is still a 3 zone? Wouldn?t that mean bell, bow and edge can be triggered?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 10:57:00 PM »

Awesome thx so much. But curious why the one trigger ride is still a 3 zone? Wouldn?t that mean bell, bow and edge can be triggered?

On a single cable Triple zone cymbal the Bell and Edge are separate membrane switches and share one ring.
It's 3 triggers..on 2 zones..2 triggers on one signal with a resistor to differentiate the triggers/signal..making it not a true triple zone cymbal.
It's technically a dual zone with "3 way triggering"
Connected to a typical dual zone cymbal input the bell (if hit hard enough to trigger) will crash (Edge).
If you strike Edge..the sound/voice will be cancelled as soon as you trigger the Bell.

Dual cable Triple zone cymbal the Bell and the Edge are separate membrane switches,each on a separate ring...no resistor needed to differentiate the triggers/signal.
It's 3 triggers on 3 zones and all are connected in a circuit.The Edge will continue to ring out when you trigger the Bell.
You also have to either have a cable or a dummy plug in one of the cymbals output jacks to complete the circuit (1 piezo for both tips) otherwise it's an open circuit and the cymbal won't function.

You can only use designated the Ride input on drum modules for 3 zone cymbals as it is specifically setup in the firmware (usually combination samples/voices for single cable) and a circuit for 2 cable Rides to interpret/detect the individual signals of the Bell and the Edge.

If you take a 2 cable Ride and connect to (2) Dual Zone cymbal inputs (Crash inputs) the Bow will trigger on both , but the Bell will trigger the Edge of one input and the Bell of the other..and vice versa depending on which output jack is to which input jack.
That's one of the advantages of the STRIKE display as it will show hits while the zones are triggering simultaneously.