Author Topic: DM10 snare  (Read 730 times)

DM10 snare
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:26:19 AM »
So last year I got a dm 10 snare for Xmas and due to a year full of injury (bones, tendons?bad times) I?ve not been able to play
So now I?m back and no matter what I hit the dual zone trigger is firing both snare and rim, I pull the lead halfway and the snare triggers on its own.  I?ve checked with a different dual zone pad (bought last week off fleabay) and that triggers normally.  Can this be repaired/ anyone ever had a similar issue? or is this now an expensive 12? paperweight?

All help appreciated?

Offline Chaser

Re: DM10 snare
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 12:31:51 AM »
So last year I got a dm 10 snare for Xmas and due to a year full of injury (bones, tendons?bad times) I?ve not been able to play
So now I?m back and no matter what I hit the dual zone trigger is firing both snare and rim, I pull the lead halfway and the snare triggers on its own.  I?ve checked with a different dual zone pad (bought last week off fleabay) and that triggers normally.  Can this be repaired/ anyone ever had a similar issue? or is this now an expensive 12? paperweight?

All help appreciated?

You didn't mention which module you are using..your only other post you mentioned a DM6..which it's firmware is for rubber pads.
There were different versions of the 12" over the years..
Which version of the 12" do you have?....there is one with a Flat bottom..one with shallow/recess bottom...

Then there are.. Original Realhead(Mylar Head)....Original Realhead with Mesh conversion....Late model Factory Mesh 12" with the "Sensitivity Knob"..that came with the DM10 Mesh Kits

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 03:19:51 AM »
After looking at the pad it?s a 10? yes I?m using a DM6 but both the 8? real feel pads work perfect

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
The Original DM6 is an entry level module very limited and the firmware is for a snare with Piezo/Switch.
The Realheads are Piezo/Piezo so there is usually a problem and the DM6 does not have advanced trigger settings like zone XTalk.I don't think you can even adjust trigger or zone sensitivity.There was an firmware update to v.06 over 10 years ago for a snare/hi hat problem (cross talk).

The Original DM6 was discontinued years ago but brought back as the Burst Kit with the same configuration as the original...with a better rubber snare...still Piezo/Switch

If the 8" is dual zone and working properly for both the head and the rim , then you could open the 10" and check the wiring...inserting or pulling the cable is always going to make a sound as it creates a voltage spike which the module interprets as a max velocity hit...just like a switch

There are many many topics for the DM6 and snare(s) over the years..upper left Search 

EDIT:
I still have quite a few of the Realheads untouched..NIB..I opened up a 8" and 10".
The 8" Realhead Dual Zone has a 27mm Piezo for the rim..the 10" Realhead Dual Zone has a 35mm Piezo for the rim.
If the 8" is working properly for the rim and the 10" does not it is because the 10"/35mm rim is too sensitive and the DM6 doesn't have the advanced settings to make the proper adjustments for sensitivity threshold etc.You could try replacing with a 27mm but keep in mind the piezo on the Reaheads are glued down dead center of the bottom and guaranteed you will destroy it while removing.You could also try adding a resistor , but that's a guessing game as it's unknown exactly how much a difference there is in sensitivity from an 8" shell/assembly to a 10" shell/assembly and applying it to the DM6 firmware..that's why there are trigger adjustments in more advanced modules.
Bottom line..the 35mm is too hot...
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 11:11:07 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2021, 04:16:45 AM »
Thanks Chaser.  I?m trying to talk my way into getting a DM10 for Xmas?.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2021, 10:14:00 AM »
Thanks Chaser.  I?m trying to talk my way into getting a DM10 for Xmas?.

The Original DM10 module was released over 10 years ago (2009) so watch for condition and cost as there isn't any support for these modules anymore other than forums like this one...if there is ever an issue simple parts will not be readily available and expensive.
If the module came with a Mesh Kit it may be newer, but I couldn't tell you when production of the modules actually stopped.
Another thing to keep in mind is for Electronic drums the battle is the balance between microns and milliseconds..
The original Mylar kits were very loud acoustically and the piezo is very close to the head which made the signal very sensitive/hot and there were problems with cross talk between other kit pieces and also the rack.
Use the search feature (upper left) you will see numerous posts for adjusting cross talk, moving the snare to a stand(eventually Kits were sold this way) and also for rack dampening.

When the Mesh conversions started (Hellfire Conversion) you are rearranging the foam layers and placing the piezo lower into the shell and the foam closer to the head.
This along with the Mesh head makes it acoustically quieter but also requires you to adjust the modules settings..sensitivity etc needed to be increased/raised to detect hits as now the piezo is now farther away from the head.
Later Alesis came out with Mesh Kits and a firmware update which basically increased all those settings to interpret the Mesh head and the signal being lower in the shell.
The problem you may have is over the years a large number of original Mylar kits were converted to Mesh or Kits came from the Factory as Mesh so the modules available on the market may have Mesh firmware as everyone updated (whether they needed to or not) and the Mylar triggers are going to be almost too hot (guaranteed if a heavy hitter) and you'll need to lower/reduce all those settings and you may run into a lot of cross talk..including from the rack.The DM10 module firmware cannot be downgraded back to Mylar firmware.

Re-Initialize the module and select the proper Mylar Kit

Too hot of a signal and the module interprets it as a high velocity hit even while playing ghost notes.
Too hot of a signal is where you are at now...just one trigger..

If you do find a module at a good price and it is updated to the Mesh firmware you could do the Mesh conversion procedure but keep the Mylar head to eliminate the extra cost for the Mesh head (especially on a budget..happy wife-happy life)...this would place the piezo lower in the shell and help with the modules adjustments and you could finish the conversion later.(one head at a time etc)

EDIT:
Correction on Firmware
« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 09:50:53 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 10:44:54 AM »
A lot to take in! 

I?ve found a DM10 pro with Mylar heads at an absolute bargain price that I can add all these heads to make a monster kit. 

Everything seems to work ok so far but all I?ve done is position and connect?.now to learn how to use it

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 09:46:42 PM »
A lot to take in! 

I?ve found a DM10 pro with Mylar heads at an absolute bargain price that I can add all these heads to make a monster kit. 

Everything seems to work ok so far but all I?ve done is position and connect?.now to learn how to use it

One thing I should mention and keep forgetting to point out..
The Final Firmware Version has the option for you to select the trigger settings for (4) Kits.. (2) Mylar Kits or (2) Mesh Kits..
I always post the warning about downgrading the Firmware as that's the 1st thing users attempt to do to go back to the Realhat and you will brick the module.
There were 2 separate Trigger updates..One for Pro-X and one for Realhat.
DM10_triggers_V1.00a.syx (use with Realhat pedal)
DM10_triggers_V1.01b.syx (use with Pro-X hi hat)
Once you have installed the V1.01b update..the module will not allow you to downgrade to V1.00a.

There haven't been many posts (if any at all) about anyone using Mesh/Pro-X(FSR) reverting back to Mylar/Realhat..Re-Initalizing the Mylar kit and if the Realhat pedal operates properly..There are posts about trying to downgrade from the Pro-X back to the Realhat....and failing..
The suggestion I made above to help with the sensitivity problems you may face with a module updated to mesh firmware was inaccurate/incorrect about needing to do the Mesh conversion procedure but keep the Mylar Head in order for the Mesh settings to work.

Just re-initialize and select the proper Mylar Kit.

Initializing the Default Trigger Settings..Kit Selection DM10 Studio Kit, DM10 Studio Kit Mesh, DM10 X Kit, and DM10 X Kit Mesh Kit
The DM10 Studio(Mylar or Mesh) is/was 8/8/8/8" toms and 10" snare..the DM10X (Mylar or Mesh) is/was 10/10/12/12" toms and 12" snare.

1.Power on your DM10 module.
2.Press the Utility button.
3.In the screen that appears, choose F4 (Sys).
4.On the next screen, choose F2 (Init).
5.Use the Cursor Down button to highlight the Trigger Settings option and then press the F4 (Exec) button.
6.On the next screen, use the Cursor Down button to highlight your drum kit and then press F1 (Exec).
Your DM10 module will return to its Main Screen.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 10:11:30 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 05:50:51 AM »
So I?ve bought a Dm10 pro kit and added my snare and kick to it as extra triggers everything seems to be working.  Genuinely not consider re initialisation, would there be any benefit or is this a not broken don?t fix it situation

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 09:29:45 AM »
So I?ve bought a Dm10 pro kit and added my snare and kick to it as extra triggers everything seems to be working.  Genuinely not consider re initialisation, would there be any benefit or is this a not broken don?t fix it situation

The DM10 Pro was the 1st DM10 kit (2009)..the Charcoal module,Surge Cymbals and the ,"ErgoRack".
Yours looks to be in very good condition.

Only the Final Firmware version allowed the selection between 4 kits....there was actually an earlier update that removed the DM10 Pro.
There were reports that some users (very few) had an issue with Tom 1 on very early firmware

To check which firmware version is actually in the module and if it has ever been updated.
Utility button, press F4 (SYS), and then choose F3 (O/S).
The screen will then show the version numbers of the current firmware on the module.

Trig OS - This is the current version of the Trigger firmware.
    Sound ROM - This is the current version number of the Sound ROM, which is the library of sounds read by the module.
    Sound OS - This is the current version of the module's own firmware.

DM10-app-v1.00s.syx (aka.. Sound OS)
DM10_triggers_V1.00a.syx (use with real hat pedal)
DM10_triggers_V1.01b.syx (use with Alesis Pro-X hi hat)
DM10_sound_rom-V1.03.syx

and yes..."If it ain't broke don't fix it"

EDIT:
Added the 2010 NEW Product Guide..still had it
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 12:12:23 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
System as in picture ?.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 11:07:23 PM »
System as in picture ?.

Your module has the original factory Sound ROM v1.01b...the Sound OS (app) is 1.00b...the final is/was 1.00s,so behind by quite a few versions.
The v1.03 Sound ROM was released in 2009/10 along with the Firmware updates for the newly released DM10 Studio and DM10X.
The DM10 Pro had been discontinued which is why you don't see any updates under the downloads.
The newly released DM10 Studio and DM10X were the only 2 models throughout the remaining production years and went from Mylar to Mesh.

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 07:00:22 AM »
Thanks man you are truly a mind of information