Author Topic: Nylon or wood tip sticks for mesh heads?  (Read 2360 times)

Offline Joker47

Nylon or wood tip sticks for mesh heads?
« on: August 28, 2021, 03:17:19 PM »
Can I get a real answer on this? LOL

I was talking a guy at a music store, and happen to buy some sticks while there. He said he had heard that wood tips were better for mesh heads, and I had heard the EXACT opposite.
Further research on the web showed answers all over the place.

What does the electronic drum world recommend for mesh heads? Nylon or wood tips?

Thanks,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline Chaser

Re: Nylon or wood tip sticks for mesh heads?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »
Can I get a real answer on this? LOL

I was talking a guy at a music store, and happen to buy some sticks while there. He said he had heard that wood tips were better for mesh heads, and I had heard the EXACT opposite.
Further research on the web showed answers all over the place.

What does the electronic drum world recommend for mesh heads? Nylon or wood tips?

Thanks,
J

Nylon vs Wood tip for Mesh Heads...Too many variables for a definitive answer...single ply..dual..triple.. weave type,brand..Roland Mesh entirely different from Pearl Traveler mesh..Billy Blast , Prism (now Defunct) style of playing..(light/jazz to heavy hitter)..Rim protectors..trigger settings..Mesh heads sand down the tip..then poke holes etc...you'll find there isn't a "perfect" stick..

5A with Nylon tip is probably the general consensus for E-kits and that's mainly because it "produces minimal damage"..tho make sure a Nylon tip doesn't have a seam around it.There are even drumsticks that are completely Nylon.There are also manufactures "specially designed..taper..length..weight..tip etc for E-Drums" claims out there..like the VICK FIRTH CLASSIC eSTICK

if you want something outside of the box and not happy with the "standard" check Ahead Drumsticks (aerospace grade aluminum tubing)
You can basically customize a pair to whatever you want..and replace whatever breaks..
The "Signature Series" is a number of different combinations and oddball sizes specifically designed for Artists
You can also take a light classic stick and change the weight just by adding a cover..grip etc..

Example..Tommy Lee.. larger diameter,long,top heavy..
LENGTH: 16.63 inches
DIAMETER: 0.595 inches
WALL THICKNESS: 0.035 inches
WEIGHT: 68 grams
TAPER: Short

I have a few pair of the Aheads laying around for whoever as everyone is different..one of the few manufacturers that actually mention anything negative about E-Drum use as their sticks probably don't play well with some of the older kits with rubber pads and a hard back or the really old like Tama TechStars and SDS kits I have in storage.They are like hitting concrete compared to kits these days.

"Unfortunately some electronic pads that have a hard backing may cause our drumsticks to fatigue faster then they would on a traditional acoustic drum set or mesh head.
Our drumsticks are forced to absorb more shock and flex because electronic pads and cymbals are far less flexible and forgiving.For some, wood drumsticks may out last the AHEAD Drumsticks on electronic pads.However, because of the vibration reduction, AHEAD Drumsticks still absorb more of that shock.
When using wood, the "Shock Factor" can cause long-term physical wear and tear on your body, which you will have to endure when playing some types of electronic pads."

AHEAD DRUMSTICKS

FEATURES
• All NEW Hyper-Form Engineered swaging process for a longer life span
• 50% less shock than wood drumsticks
• Last 6 to 10 times longer than wood drumsticks
• 5% more rebound than wood drumsticks
• High precision alloy core guarantees consistent weight and balance variations of less that 1%
• Replaceable covers, tips and rings
• High quality, unbreakable nylon tip provides a brighter, more articulate sound
• Super-hard polyurethane replaceable covers protect your drumsticks and your gear
• Ergonomically tuned handles
• Built-in Vibration Control System (VRS)
• Limited 60 Day Warranty. See Warranty Form
• Made in USA

Introduction to AHEAD Drumsticks

CLASSIC

5A
LENGTH: 16.00 inches
DIAMETER: 0.540 inches
WALL THICKNESS: 0.030 inches
WEIGHT: 53 grams
TAPER: Medium

7A
LENGTH: 15.69 inches
WALL THICKNESS: 0.030 inches
WEIGHT: 49 grams

MAXX7A
LENGTH: 17.00 inches
WALL THICKNESS: 0.035 inches
WEIGHT: 60 grams

CROSSROADS
Aluminum "Wood" look

SIGNATURE
(Artist..variety of length..dia..weight etc etc)

Replaceable covers,and rings..variety of Nylon tips..black..white..soft..hard..

"Drumsticks don't break cymbals..Drummers do".

EDIT:
Fixed a bad link
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 07:54:29 PM by Chaser »

Offline Joker47

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 09:45:44 PM »
Well, that was a far more comprehensive answer than I was expecting, Chaser. But, thank you. 🙂

I have been using 7A sticks as I have relatively small hands, and they don’t feel like Cubs in my hand like 5A’s do.

But, it seems to sound  like it doesn’t matter that much? Either is fine, just check for anomalies on the sticks?

I’m not near good enough to care about stick weight and balance…😂😂 But, maybe someday I’ll need to look for that. Right now, my old, tired ass just likes 7A, and the tip  being more of a “tip” than a tapered tip…of that makes  any sense.
Just want to make sure my mesh heads last as long as possible. I am a bit of a heavy hitter, but that’s getting better as I remember how to play again…🙂

Thanks sir,
J
Alesis DM10 MKll Pro kit w/dual 22" kicks, Tama Iron Cobra pedals; extra 8" tom, Dual Alesis Strike modules; Strike cymbals; Zildjian L80 hi hat and 16" cymbal with Shure57 mics; two 4-channel mixers; Strike SE snare

Just for fun:
https://www.youtube.com/@jokersdrumcovers4769/abou

Offline cjogo

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2021, 08:29:17 PM »
For Studio work -- almost always rubber tipped ...   I track a lot with acoustic instruments >> just on the other side of the plexi ---

they are that much quieter ..for sure

Started with rubber tip // Trap Kat in the 80's   
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:31:36 PM by cjogo »