Author Topic: Low end module Midi notes out.  (Read 959 times)

Low end module Midi notes out.
« on: July 09, 2021, 08:20:55 AM »
Hi guys, I have one quick question with potencialy quick answer but i have to try it, because this forum is my last hope and I already spent to much time googling and reading local posts with not satisfactory results. I have my DM10 module, it is great, but I also came into possesion of Millenium MPS200 kit which have basically the same module as Medeli DD502 or some Simmons SD5k etc. Sound are really terrible so the only thing that I thought that this crappy module will be useful for was extending my DM10 module via Midi cable. I read thru this awesome topic https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=92.0 and started to be excited but as you read these lines you already know what let down I experienced. Module is sending the same midi notes that are already assigned with triggers in DM10. And in manual there is nothing to be found about changing midi notes that came from midi out. Is there any possibility to reprogram this crappy modules midi notes to those free 35 notes, which can be used as expansion with DM10 instument sounds. There is only midi out, no USB connection to module. :( That leads me to second question. To run EZ Drummer with this module I have to use MIDI-USB cable, am I right ? Is it possible to reprogram those midi notes in laptop via this USB-MIDI cable and save "forever" ?

Thanks for answers but I am affraid that they will confirm my worries.  8)

Offline Chaser

Re: Low end module Midi notes out.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2021, 10:18:40 AM »
Hi guys, I have one quick question with potencialy quick answer but i have to try it, because this forum is my last hope and I already spent to much time googling and reading local posts with not satisfactory results. I have my DM10 module, it is great, but I also came into possesion of Millenium MPS200 kit which have basically the same module as Medeli DD502 or some Simmons SD5k etc. Sound are really terrible so the only thing that I thought that this crappy module will be useful for was extending my DM10 module via Midi cable. I read thru this awesome topic https://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=92.0 and started to be excited but as you read these lines you already know what let down I experienced. Module is sending the same midi notes that are already assigned with triggers in DM10. And in manual there is nothing to be found about changing midi notes that came from midi out. Is there any possibility to reprogram this crappy modules midi notes to those free 35 notes, which can be used as expansion with DM10 instument sounds. There is only midi out, no USB connection to module. :( That leads me to second question. To run EZ Drummer with this module I have to use MIDI-USB cable, am I right ? Is it possible to reprogram those midi notes in laptop via this USB-MIDI cable and save "forever" ?

Thanks for answers but I am affraid that they will confirm my worries.  8)

Welcome to the forum !
You can't change the MIDI assignments in the Millenium MPS200 (Medeli DD502) and EZDrummer has fixed MIDI mapping for each drum kit..so the 2 wouldn't make a very good combination..

There isn't any MIDI info for the Millenium/DD502.You could use a 5 PIN to USB cable and MIDIOX to get this MIDI information (more than likely basic GM note assignments)  but the Medeli low end modules without USB won't have class compliant drivers so the module won't be recognized by the computer and there would probably not have dual zone (no rims/cymbal edge) and you would want to keep the DM10 Hi Hat.

If you really have to expand you could connect 5 pin MIDI and try the Millenium for the fixed MIDI assignments in the DM10 then re-assign the DM10 triggers to the extra notes.It would basically be swapping out the triggers and the Millenium would be the base kit...you would be adding triggers but losing zones (if the Millenium is single zone only) so overall you would probably be better off finding a better module than the Millenium as the frustration is gonna add up..Modules or TMI's with the features you would need for expanding the DM10 aren't that expensive any more..used TMI like Trigger I/O/DDrum DDTI or  even some modules can be picked up pretty cheap.

EDIT:
added links
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 10:35:48 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2021, 10:53:17 AM »
Well that is pity, yes it is only one zone triggers. Nevermind. Now i kinda regret that I sold my Alesis Nitro mesh kit, that module is capable of changing midi notes :).

I still cannot let go the idea of using that module when i already have it so... imagine small box with midi in, midi out, display and two buttons to changing the recieved midi note to desired different note. Well, it probably does not exist, isn´t it ? Maybe keyboard players have such device. I don´t know I did not find any. :)

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:28:58 PM »
Well that is pity, yes it is only one zone triggers. Nevermind. Now i kinda regret that I sold my Alesis Nitro mesh kit, that module is capable of changing midi notes :) .

I still cannot let go the idea of using that module when i already have it so... imagine small box with midi in, midi out, display and two buttons to changing the recieved midi note to desired different note. Well, it probably does not exist, isn´t it ? Maybe keyboard players have such device. I don´t know I did not find any. :)

There is old software eDrum MIDI Mapper that remaps MIDI notes...but was for re-mapping hardware to DAW..never tried re-routing back to another module..if it's even possible there will probably be latency
MIDI Solutions has a number of products and programming tools for event processing can also probably program a custom box...there are many different ways to expand an existing module including this DIY Arduino expansion "kit"....or you could check with the community as I have seen a number of MIDI drum projects over the years
The BomeBox is a MIDI Hub for connecting and mapping devices via MIDI, Ethernet, WiFi, and USB (without the need of a computer). Cross-connect USB-MIDI devices (powered by the BomeBox), MIDI 5-pin DIN, other BomeBoxes, and computers.

The Bomebox isn't cheap and you have to purchase software etc and may be more than you would ever need unless you are a Pro musician ...MIDI solutions offers custom boxes for $250.00 + $150.00 for the 1st one...and the Arduino "kit" would probably be around the $100.00 range or more at least with components etc etc..there are many of these projects out there. sometimes just picking up a used TMI or module may be the cheapest/simplest solution..
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 01:01:00 PM by Chaser »