Author Topic: Simmons DA200SB Drum Amp... any opinions?  (Read 5717 times)

Simmons DA200SB Drum Amp... any opinions?
« on: July 27, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
I've ordered a new Alesis Drum Kit and am looking for a decent floor amp. 
I like the new Alesis Strike 12 Amp that just came out ($299), but this Simmons has more speakers, more in's and out's and is currently cheaper.

Thoughts or experience anyone?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-da200sb-electronic-drum-set-monitor-with-bluetooth?rNtt=drum%20amp&index=7

Jim

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 09:00:01 PM by DoogansDad »

Offline Chaser

Re: Simmons DA200SB Drum Amp... any opinions?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:14:29 AM »
I've ordered a new Alesis Drum Kit and am looking for a decent floor amp. 
I like the new Alesis Strike 12 Amp that just came out ($299), but this Simmons has more speakers, more in's and out's and is currently cheaper.

Thoughts or experience anyone?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/simmons-da200sb-electronic-drum-set-monitor-with-bluetooth?rNtt=drum%20amp&index=7

Jim

Depends on application....
These are completely different systems.One is an amp..the other a monitor.
The Simmons DA200S has been around for years (10+) and the STRIKE AMP 12 was just released so not around long enough for reviews.
The DA200SB is basically the DA200S updated with Bluetooth.

DA200SB....200 watts..stereo.. down firing sub...floor only
STRIKE AMP 12..New..2000 watts..mono..interlinking (x2=4000 watts stereo) and mounting options.

Simmons also came out with their own 2000 watt model..which is the direction Drum amps seems to be heading..

If you are mainly trying to get the biggest bang for the buck the Simmons DA2012B amp is on sale at GC..$240.00
Simmons DA2012B Advanced Drum Amplifier SALE

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:47:14 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:44 AM »
Depends on application....
These are completely different systems.One is an amp..the other a monitor.
The Simmons DA200S has been around for years (10+) and the STRIKE AMP 12 was just released so not around long enough for reviews.
The DA200SB is basically the DA200S updated with Bluetooth.

DA200SB....200 watts..stereo.. down firing sub...floor only
STRIKE AMP 12..New..2000 watts..mono..interlinking (x2=4000 watts stereo) and mounting options.

Simmons also came out with their own 2000 watt model..which is the direction Drum amps seems to be heading..

If you are mainly trying to get the biggest bang for the buck the Simmons DA2012B amp is on sale at GC..$240.00
Simmons DA2012B Advanced Drum Amplifier SALE
Chaser,
Thanx for the information and reply.
My initial thinking is that the Simmons DA200SB, with a 12" sub, two mid-range, and two tweeters, would provide a broader spectrum of sound than the Alesis monitor.
The Alesis seems to be more concerned with power (2000 watt), and in my quiet studio I don't really need massive wattage.  I can't imagine ever needing my amplification to be used on stage anywhere... heck, I'm 58 already, so performance drumming is not a goal.  Besides, as a "hobby" amplifier, I could always set the Simmons out on the patio and let guests access it via Bluetooth and play their own tunes on it.  Hence the concern for a more broad spectrum sound projection.  I guess I need to hit the local GC and pair up to one with a few songs on my phone and see.

My local GS will always match other advertised prices, but then I'll also have to pay the ridiculous 9% local sales tax.
That said, none of the local GC's have the new Alesis amp to even look at, but the Simmons DA200SB is in stock everywhere.

Decisions, decisions...
Jim

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »
Not to toot my own horn but I went with the da350.
It was a nice chunk of change but the sound I get along with the versatility not to mention you can really run a small venue gig through it. But the question would be do you need it no but it could be future proofing your studio.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 09:11:35 PM »
Not to toot my own horn but I went with the da350.
It was a nice chunk of change but the sound I get along with the versatility not to mention you can really run a small venue gig through it. But the question would be do you need it no but it could be future proofing your studio.
The DA350 was a nice system.I meant to purchase one but waited too long and may have missed out.Guitar Center/Musicians Friend havent stocked them for nearly a year.
Even tho it's still listed on Simmons site,I think they may have discontinued it.

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 03:10:53 AM »
Yeah I got a coupon on this site from a fellow drummer for a deal I couldn't pass up. I love it!

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 07:46:48 PM »
I'm not so sure it does have more speakers if you got your information from Amazon that states these are three ways if you look at the Simmons user manual for the product it states it's a two-way so it probably has one woofer and two tweeters for stereo.   I just ordered one and I'll pick it up tomorrow and I'll see if the cover comes off and I can let you know for sure.  I agree it does have more IO.  Oops Noob here I thought we were talking about the new da2012b the 2000 watt unit
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 07:52:17 PM by elfaure2@Gmail.com »