Author Topic: Surge Cymbal question  (Read 4669 times)

Surge Cymbal question
« on: November 11, 2009, 07:50:12 AM »
I'm looking at getting a small Surge Cymbal for use as a hi-hat. I was wondering.....what keeps the cymbal from spinning on the post when it's struck?  Anyone have any pictures of the underside of a Surge that shows the mechanism?

Thanks!

Mark Steele
Drumagination, Inc.
Alesis DM10
2000 Watt Carvin powered Bass Drum
Double TwinSteele drum pedals
Footless HH
Drumagination.com

Re: Surge Cymbal question
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
Mark, I have all surge cymbals, including the hihat.  They all have a small hole, near the mounting hole, that a rod from the cymbal mount goes thru.  That mount that goes on the cymbal arm wasn't included when I bought the cymbals(all new in the box), except for the ride(used, must have come from a kit).

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 06:35:12 AM »
Marc

Thanks for the reply. By the way, your kit looks way cool! Bonham on steroids...

By the way, do you think any small netbook computers have enough horsepower to run your drum software program (I have only used modules)?

Mark
Alesis DM10
Footless HH
Drumagination.com

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 06:48:56 AM »
I'm far from a computer expert, but I don't think so.  The program taxes my laptop but it does play.   Once you go VST, there's no going back.  My TD12 really sucks, now.  I use it as a TMI, as I didn't like how things were done on the Trigger IO.  I should look into the Megadrum again.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 09:28:52 AM »
By the way, do you think any small netbook computers have enough horsepower to run your drum software program (I have only used modules)?

Mark
Mark, I actually looked into this a while ago when I did this post on HellfireDrums.com:
Compact VST Systems Replaces Drum Modules?

I can tell you that a net book is not quite powerful enough to handle the VST software. Especially, the sound hardware in the net book. I hope this helps.

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 06:57:03 PM »
Thanks Hellfire

I just got my surge 12" cymbal, and I will do a footless high-hat mod on it soon. The Alesis switch pedal also arrived, and is being prepped for surgery.

I have more module questions, but I will jump to a more appropriate section. Look for "Dream Module" in the title.

Thanks
Mark
Alesis DM10
Footless HH
Drumagination.com