Author Topic: Alesis Samplerack?  (Read 1178 times)

Offline VandalX

Alesis Samplerack?
« on: April 21, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
Hi everyone. So, for those who've read any of my previous posts, they mostly centered around my trigger issues (breaking wires and solder joints). Instead of returning the kit (again) and heading a different direction, I opted to figure out a more robust internal fix, and I've been successful so far. Thing is, since I contacted Alesis regarding this issue, they keep sending me replacement pads. The last time I chatted with them, I mentioned that in addition to my 12" pads failing in the snare position, my kick pad was also dying. I fixed it and redid the wiring and replaced the trigger. Alesis sent me a whole new kick tower. So now I have a backup. I also keep getting 12" pads. Almost like a pad-of-the-month club. I now have six pads, new in the box.

Now, in a perfect world, Alesis would fix this problem as a matter of building a solid brand that could compete with Roland in more than price/number of pads. If they just built their equipment with slightly more quality control, they would be a real side-by-side choice, rather than the low cost bargain that makes them attractive. Anyway, water under the bridge and I have ZERO pull with the company.

But now I have a bunch of new and repaired 12" pads, plus one kick tower. All in all, a good problem to have.

My question is thus: if I get an Alesis Samplerack, can I insert that into my chain of module/Laptop/VST to add more pad inputs? I'm just not altogether sure how the Samplerack fits into the Alesis e-drum system. As I've mentioned before, I have a DM10 MK II Pro, with a cable snake and two extra TRS inputs for fourth tom and second crash. So it's maxed on right now with inputs. My hope would be adding a couple more toms and cymbals to the kit, and I was wondering if I can do that with the Samplerack? Or should I look at the ddrum solution? Or pay a lot more for the recently released Roland TM-6?

Any ideas are appreciated!

Happy drumming!
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Rmiller

Re: Alesis Samplerack?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »
I think a trigger I/o would do better. Search on here for: DM10 expansion with trigger I/O & Control Pad. I think that will answer your questions. The ddrum DDTI (still made) will work the same as the Alesis trigger io which is no longer made,  but you can find them used.
If your computer has 2 USB ports available, you can connect the DM10 and a ddti then open  ad2 and set the device inputs for them. If your DM10 is mapped you would add any instruments in an ad2 kit then map them to the ddti. You just have to make sure you aren’t  triggering the same midi notes from either device. Another way may be to run the midi out of the ddti to the midi in on the dm10 and have the ddti trigger the dm10’s unused midi notes. Those notes would have to be assigned (mapped) in AD2 to the appropriate instrument. With this method, if you’re not using a VST, you can assign the midi out notes from the ddti to trigger some of the dm10’s internal sounds as well. All of this is assuming your dm10 mkII module allows you to control the midi signals like the DM10.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:19:09 PM by Rmiller »

Offline VandalX

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 02:31:12 PM »
Thanks, Rmiller. That's a good explanation. I do use AD2, and have mapped it for my DM10 MKII module, which wasn't present in the AD2 present maps. I just went through and made sure the assignments were correct, and saved them as a custom preset that loads on startup. I now see how I would add the trigger I/O as additional midi notes. I assume it's just a matter of plugging it all in and adjusting as needed.

What is the difference between the sample rack and the ddti? I'm just wondering what and where the Samplerack fits in to an e-drum setup. the dddrum I/O is cheaper, certainly, but are there other features that distinguishes the two devices?
Alesis DM 10 MKII Pro (with Tama Iron Cobra double). Pearl Export acoustic. Fostex VF160EX Digital multitrack (16). Fostex monitors. Roland TR-626 drum machine. Roland Juno 106 Poly synth. Aria Knight Warrior. Peavy Fury. Digitech GNX3000. Digitech RP360. Tascam Porta 05 four track. MacBook Air.

Offline Rmiller

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:02:38 PM »
Sample rack will work the same as well and more. It has it’s own sounds, but not near the quality as a VST. The ddti is strictly a midi triggering device, no internal sounds onboard. Simply put, the sample rack can stand alone as well as play samples, loops etc. Again, limited sound quality.

Offline VandalX

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 03:13:36 PM »
That's kinda what I thought, but wasn't sure. I am not using any Alesis sounds anyway. Just not super impressed with the native sounds. Having used EZ Drummer 2 and owning AD2, I won't go back to the module-only except in case of emergency.

Thanks for the input!