Author Topic: Midi Noob needs some guidance with AD  (Read 2616 times)

Midi Noob needs some guidance with AD
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:09:59 PM »
It's been like 25 years since I have played with midi so I've forgotten damn near everything.  I've got Addictive Drums running on a lightweight vst host (savihost) but I've got a dumb question.  Does loading the drum map for the DM10 kit happen in the plugin or the host?  Since all the host does is run the plug-in, I don't see anyplace there to load anything and I can't seem to find it in AD.

Offline vaikl

Re: Midi Noob needs some guidance with AD
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 06:34:34 AM »
Does loading the drum map for the DM10 kit happen in the plugin or the host?  Since all the host does is run the plug-in, I don't see anyplace there to load anything and I can't seem to find it in AD.

When you are in the AD plugin window, you click on the "BEATS" tab. In the lower right corner above the faders there's a Map preset section, where you can open a selection menu with an Alesis submenu and different DM10 maps. Via the "Map Window" button you could then open a second window where you can alter all options (like hihat controls) and MIDI note mappings.

Most DAWs have the additional option to load, edit and save own drum mappings to help identifying drum instruments in their piano roll-like MIDI editors. Don't think that SAVIhost has that option.

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:56:29 PM »
That did the trick.  Unfortunately it is showing the age of my system in the music room.  Either it's my old dual core Pentium (1.8mhz) or the cheap usb-midi cable I have but there is a latency delay that would make it unusable for edrumming.  It's only a few milliseconds but it's enough to screw up my already amateurish drumming skills.  I think I need zero latency like I have when listening through the DM10 module.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 07:26:57 AM »
That did the trick.  Unfortunately it is showing the age of my system in the music room.  Either it's my old dual core Pentium (1.8mhz) or the cheap usb-midi cable I have but there is a latency delay that would make it unusable for edrumming.  It's only a few milliseconds but it's enough to screw up my already amateurish drumming skills.  I think I need zero latency like I have when listening through the DM10 module.

The term "zero latency" is a myth ;). Many companies advertise their products with it, but it's a matter of physics that this could be valid only *within* their boxes, not in a whole digital audio system with such boxes, cables, computers, loudspeakers etc. etc. Some milliseconds of latency are ok, because the human ear can't distinguish between them.

USB cables, even cheap ones, don't have much influence on the latency. Either they work or you would note other problems, like connection break-offs.

If you haven't, try an external audio device instead of the onboard audio of your PC (we have some threads about them in the forum).

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 01:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the info.  True, zero latency is a myth but I'm shooting for the best response I can get.  What I'm getting now is definitely noticeable to the ear.  I'll read through the forums on external audio device info.

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 03:09:54 PM »
First, check your buffer settings under the device menu. 

I'm on mac, but I hear PC people say (and the Savihost manual recommends) using ASIOforall drivers makes a difference.
Imac 10.5.8; DM10 w/ easy mesh mod; Superior Drummer; Addictive Drums; various DAW's; toe jam