Author Topic: Sonar Drum Map for DM10 Studio & Addictive Drums  (Read 16743 times)

Sonar Drum Map for DM10 Studio & Addictive Drums
« on: January 01, 2011, 05:00:39 PM »

I recently bought Addictive Drums and just got it working pretty well in Sonar 8.5. 
If anyone is interested in the drum map I made, you can download it from here:

http://dbgmachines.com/pics/AddictiveDrum-DM10-Studio.map

It's a bit trivial since all the real midi remapping is done within Addictive Drums.
I used the Addictive Drum map Tsints made and is available at this post:

http://www.dmdrummer.com/index.php?topic=815.0

The Sonar Drum map doesn't remap any midi codes. 
You can see here it just passes the same codes thru:

What it does is get you a Piano Roll View that is made for Drum midi,
not keyboard midi.

This is what you see in Sonar if you run Addictive Drums straight from the
 synth rack with no Drum Map.  A typical Piano Roll View.

This is what you see in Sonar if you use the Drum Map. It shows all the drum
 kit pieces, cc codes, velocities, etc.

If you have to do a lot of editing, having the kit piece names there makes
 things a bit easier.

Happy New Year

Online Hellfire

Re: Sonar Drum Map for DM10 Studio & Addictive Drums
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 05:52:34 PM »
Looks great Oldsneakers. Thanks for posting this information. I'm sure many will find it very helpful.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 06:45:21 PM »
Thanks OS. I use Sonar 7 (still haven't jumped to X-1)

Mark

Offline vaikl

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 06:49:54 PM »
Thanx, Oldsneakers!

I'm not a Sonar user (i'll stay with my mac;-)) but this kind of stuff is always very helpful for people who like to improve their workflow on DAWs.

If i get some spare time in the next weeks i think i can build something similar for Cubase.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:38:06 AM »
There is something floating around out there for Cubase and AD. I am using it now and it seems to work pretty good. I will try to find the link again when I get home from work.
Alesis USB Studio

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 08:57:31 PM »
Hi guys,

Just got off a long shift in the bush and treated myself to an HD500 and a 2011 dm10 studio set.

I'm running Sonar X1 pro, and I'm having a hard time with getting the drumset to work for recording midi.

I'm using the steven slate set in session drummer, but I don't know how to map everything. As it stands, crash 2 is also the floor tom 4, the hi hat is very weak and I have to pound on it for sound, I can't get any sounds out of the rims.

How do I know what notes to change to map the midi input?

Also can I use the dm10 unit as an audo interface? Right now I have to go ASIO out of Sonar, but I have to plug in the usb after I start it up or there is a problem with the audio engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Josh
DM10 Studio with 2 extra 12" cymbals - Roland Mesh - Tama Iron Cobra HP900 double - Steven Slate 3.5 - Resolve A5 Monitors - KRK 8400  - Ibanez H.R. Giger (EMG 81/85)- Dean 7 String Razorback - Line 6 HD500 - Sonar X1 Pro

Offline vaikl

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 07:41:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum! ;)

I'm using the steven slate set in session drummer, but I don't know how to map everything. As it stands, crash 2 is also the floor tom 4, the hi hat is very weak and I have to pound on it for sound, I can't get any sounds out of the rims.

How do I know what notes to change to map the midi input?

First, Session Drummer is not a software plugin made for e-drumming. It's a MIDI pattern player with drumsounds, but doesn't have the functionality to help you with note/key mapping issues like the above mentioned.

Sonar X1 (which I don't know good) has a Drum Grid Pane for MIDI drum tracks where you could set up and save a MIDI map for the DM10. I don't know if Sonar lets you change hihat controller values there.

Also can I use the dm10 unit as an audo interface? Right now I have to go ASIO out of Sonar, but I have to plug in the usb after I start it up or there is a problem with the audio engine.

The DM10 has no audio interface functionality. The USB port only transmits MIDI data. Maybe there's a problem in Sonar because Windows wrongly "sees" and names the DM10's USB port as an "USB audio device". You should contact Cakewalk support to ask if there's a way to avoid this wrong assignment on startup.

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
Thanks for the speedy response Vaikl.

Well I guess I'll bite the bullet for a VST. After dropping $2500 in a week for music stuff I wanted to wait lol. If anyone has done this before to get the notes through Sonar, it would be nice to wait on buying a vst.

DM10 Studio with 2 extra 12" cymbals - Roland Mesh - Tama Iron Cobra HP900 double - Steven Slate 3.5 - Resolve A5 Monitors - KRK 8400  - Ibanez H.R. Giger (EMG 81/85)- Dean 7 String Razorback - Line 6 HD500 - Sonar X1 Pro

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 06:14:16 PM »
So I checked out the info on this site (you guys are a godsend btw), go the midi map keys from hell's post to find what the dm10 is sending out. I went through the sequencer for session drummer to check what the note output translates to for the steven slate sizzle kit built into sonar x1 pro. I've got it all working now using the map part (checking on the cakewalk site).

I'll post pics of the screens to set this up. The kit built in sounds amazing (459 mb), and I'm sure someone else will run into this problem eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions and help guys, saved me alot of time learning all this by my lonesome!

Offline AWDV8

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:16:22 PM »
Quick question, after downloading the drum map (in original post), where do I save it? I like that it shows all the kit pieces and would like to utilize this. I am using Sonar 8 and AD.

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »

I bought a new PC that came with Windows 7 and I'm a bit lost on how the file structure is set up compared to the XP I've used for years.  Plus they have it hiding subdirectories to add to the fun.  Anyways, here's what a search shows for where I have the Sonar drum map:

C:\ProgramData\Cakewalk\SONAR 8.5 Producer\Drum Maps
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\SONAR 8.5 Producer\Drum Maps

Substitute your user name with "Owner".