Author Topic: Angle of beater on kick-drum head  (Read 735 times)

Offline Mike T

Angle of beater on kick-drum head
« on: May 24, 2023, 11:12:35 AM »
Hello Everyone,
I have an Alesis dm10 and have recently replaced the kick-drum; the new one has a mesh head.  I use a plastic beater and have set it up as best as possible for smooth playing.  I've noticed, though, that the beater isn't completely flush with the head when it strikes; the upper part makes greater contact.  Is this a problem or is it ok?  I've adjusted the mesh-head tension (not too loose or too tight).  On a related point, the beater is one of those three-surface models, felt, plastic and wood.  I avoid using the felt with a mesh head but would the wood be ok to use? (It's more curved, which the plastic part isn't.)
Any suggestions gratefully received,
Many thanks,
Mike T

Offline AlanK

Re: Angle of beater on kick-drum head
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 01:53:23 PM »
Hello Michael and hope you're well :-)

I have a variety of mallets but the one I use most has four sides.. felt, flat, and two curves, one goes up/down and one side to side. I find the best result with the curved side that rounds from top to bottom that way it hits fairly good no matter how high or low it sits in the holder. Kind of a try and see thing, like spring tension and the angle the beater is set to on the rocker.. but I have to say the kick pedal is the bane of drumming (for me).. getting down on my hands and knees in a tight place is not a lot of fun, especially when I'm testing things out a number of ways and have to go down and come back up to try it over and over.. about as fun as adjusting the kick drum batter head.. the bottom lugs are so hard to turn crammed way down by the pedal, and there's always some tom or stand in the way of some of the other lugs.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Mike T

Re: Angle of beater on kick-drum head
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 03:58:41 AM »
Hello Alan,
Thank you very much for your reply - it's good to hear from you again.  The wood section on the beater is curved top to bottom, so I'll give that a try.  (My main concern was damaging the mesh with the plastic side, but I guess it's hardy material.)  I sympathize with the hands-and-knees adjustments.  It took me a while to get the pedal base fully secure with the kick-drum mount, so it felt like I was kneeling on the floor longer than actually playing the kit; and, as you say, other parts of the kit can get in the way.
Many thanks again and I hope all is good with the band,
Best wishes,
Michael