Author Topic: Oh Yeah. Strike Module!!!  (Read 718 times)

Offline Dartanbeck

Oh Yeah. Strike Module!!!
« on: May 12, 2023, 02:24:35 PM »
We've been having issues with my kit the past few gigs and it's been difficult figuring out what was going on.

Turned out that the issues were with my DM10 module. I don't want to retire it entirely unless it cannot be fixed.

In the interim we've been using my audio/visual tech's Nitro module, which works well, but since it isn't mine, I don't have the trigger settings tuned for my new Laurin Drums triggers.

Just yesterday my used Strike module arrived at the studio. I haven't even seen it yet.

Our show having a Lot riding on it, tonight I'll still be using the Nitro module - but probably for the last time.

Next, I get the absolute privilege of setting up my kit with the incredible Strike!!! So excited!!!
Picking it up tonight before the gig so I can see it. So I can touch it! So I can take it home and make sure the firmware is updated, all that stuff. So Excited!!!

Thank you to whoever sold this to my band leader from Sweetwater's Used area!!! :)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 11:58:55 PM by Dartanbeck »
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline Dartanbeck

Re: Wow. Strike Module?!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2023, 02:41:13 PM »
I think I really lucked out.

When I went looking for Strike modules, it looked like they used to be sold separately for a time, but no longer. I know I used to see them at Reverb and such, but this one was the only one I was able to find - period!

When I bought my DM 10 X Mesh kit, I had no idea that it was the Last one available brand new sold in online stores. After I bought mine they were just... gone. I was seeing used ones, but new were completely unavailable. There must have been a few in a warehouse somewhere because I saw one here and there afterwards, but still... I really lucked out.

This kit has lasted four years playing long, hard, heavy gigs - lots of them! We play all the time and our gigs are four hours long. I am very proud of my little Alesis kit!
Furthermore, I'm very happy and excited to be doing business with Laurin Drums! With all of these gigs coming up this summer, I'm hoping to replace everything with Laurin Drums triggers. Love 'em!!!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2023, 01:57:36 AM »
Very Pleased! The module, cables... all of it is like brand new - almost like I opened the box for the first time!

Next week getting this set up with my kit - I can tell already that this is going to be Really Cool!

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 01:39:13 PM »
Very Pleased! The module, cables... all of it is like brand new - almost like I opened the box for the first time!

Next week getting this set up with my kit - I can tell already that this is going to be Really Cool!

I am a huge fan of importing new drum kits. Super easy to do compared to the DM10. There are a ton of effects you can apply as well!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 11:32:41 AM »
I just got my first taste yesterday, setting up my Laurin Drums Snare, Floor Tom, and a couple of cymbals. My Audio/Visual tech also gave me his Alesis Nitro to use as spares until I get the rest of the kit filled out. Right now I only have the two toms in the center.

This was just getting things set up and running.

Kit is freaking Thunder!!!

I still need to do some cable management. Loving the new Laurin Drums and Strike Module! Loving the Nitro pads as well.

These have six lugs instead of the four lug toms I often see for sale. Wonder why that is, but I love them. Nice little tom pads!

When I get my 10" Laurin Drums toms, I'll not only keep these as spares, but also add more triggering sounds to the kit.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 11:40:36 AM by Dartanbeck »

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 11:45:52 AM »
Also going to opt for one of those beautiful Laurin Drums Bass Drums!

Here's my decision-making thread on going for Laurin Drums, if anyone's interested:

Laurin Drums replacement triggers

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2023, 06:34:46 PM »
I hope your Strike serves you well for many many years.  Mine is a nightmare. As I've said elswhere, the bass drum tone dies out after a couple seconds on every kit. Unbelievably frustrating.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 11:58:19 PM »
Man. I just survived my first gig with it.
My brother (killer bas player) and his wife, our ex-bass player (moved far away) and his family were there from California, as was my bass player from my other band, and his friends (including his other drummer), along with our now-usual huge crowd.

The pressure was on.

The mighty Strike was sounding really nice through the in-ear setup. When the PA went live... pure Thunder! Oh it sounded Great! I'm using a slightly customized variant of one of those Power Station kits. I think the Natural one.

I've been having some trigger issues before I got the Strike module. Working those issues out, but I have little time to experiment.

Nonetheless, some of those issues reared their ugly faces at me. Hmmm... what am I going to do?

I managed the first set with my handicap as best I could. When everyone went on break, I looked at my foreign new piece of hardware and pushed buttons that I thought might help. Sure enough. I was getting my crash cymbal choked with every hit, unless I could manage a bow hit, which was difficult with this pad. I changed the Choke sound to an Edge sound. Fixed it - just like that. Sure, I can't choke, but... oh wait... What? It still chokes!

The rest of the gig was dynamite! Even the first set was pretty darned good. It just had some cymbal issues that were glaring at first, but I was able to be clever and avoid that for the most part.

I've not even begun to understand this thing yet and it's a dream come true! Those individual outs are beautiful. I still have my Addictive Drums on line and ready. My amazing audio/visual tech (Love this guy!) tested switching back and forth between Strike Outs and AD2 and, wow! No latency in the switch at all! And using Reaper, he has it all set up so it doesn't even affect anyone's individual in-ear mix - their all using the same channels on the board! He's clever that way with his groupings in Reaper. I know nothing!

I love my kit in AD2. I really do. I like my custom user kit from the Strike even better! Boom, it goes!

I wasn't able to find a "Random" section within the instruments categories. I have a feeling that I can make my own directly in the module. I'll find out when I get some studio time!

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 12:05:41 AM »

I am a huge fan of importing new drum kits. Super easy to do compared to the DM10. There are a ton of effects you can apply as well!
I'm going to be trying that as well. Looks like too much fun and functionality not to! Really loving the kits that came with the updates, and I'm also having a blast exploring the initial ones as well. Wonderful sounds, amazing options, and lots of it all... Lots! Not as many as the DM10, but oh my... these are really nice and I love how we can get really advanced with custom imports as well. It's Nuts!

Offline stylazyn

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 07:42:23 PM »

I'm going to be trying that as well. Looks like too much fun and functionality not to! Really loving the kits that came with the updates, and I'm also having a blast exploring the initial ones as well. Wonderful sounds, amazing options, and lots of it all... Lots! Not as many as the DM10, but oh my... these are really nice and I love how we can get really advanced with custom imports as well. It's Nuts!
With headphones on, all kits sound amazing. When I gig live, I do lose some of what I hear with the headphones. I gig smaller clubs and everything goes through the Bose system. I recently added the Simmons DA50 and it helps a bit.