Author Topic: Parsing Strike .skt/.sin files  (Read 2827 times)

Parsing Strike .skt/.sin files
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:40:04 PM »
Howdy folks...

Working on reverse-engineering the .SKT/.SIN file formats.

Code at http://github.com/mmdurrant/strikeparse

It's Python and it's crappy Python because I didn't bother to write a format parser (something I'm regretting now as I hack my way through the .SIN files).

Suggestions/etc are always welcome. The kit FX/voice settings have been a little troublesome and I just started on parsing .SIN files today. If we can figure out the .SIN format, we don't have to wait on Alesis and can write our own damn kit editor.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Parsing Strike .skt/.sin files
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:34 PM »
Howdy folks...

It's Python and it's crappy Python because I didn't bother to write a format parser (something I'm regretting now as I hack my way through the .SIN files).

Suggestions/etc are always welcome. The kit FX/voice settings have been a little troublesome and I just started on parsing .SIN files today. If we can figure out the .SIN format, we don't have to wait on Alesis and can write our own damn kit editor.

I assume you found the internal micro SD? I would guess that is your best bet to figure out the file structor of the multi-layered sound files. Don't know if that really helps.

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 10:40:09 PM »
Noooo I did not - there's a micro SD inside? I just saved stuff to my the external one and reverse-engineered those files.  Unfortunately, with the built-in tooling on the module, I can only get a single sample/velocity SIN file and need another to compare it to.

HF, if you're sure there is, I'm grabbing my screwdriver and making a complete backup of the internals. This could be a game-changer for this little project.

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 11:15:21 PM »
:( There's not. My module still works after reassembly so I guess that's good?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
:( There's not. My module still works after reassembly so I guess that's good?

Please keep in mind that opening up your module could ruin the warranty and AlesisDRUMMER.com and I are not responsible for any damage that might happen from opening up said module. I haven't said anything publicly because I didn't want a ton of people cracking open their module and possibly screwing up things. It's very easy to break something if you don't know what you are doing. So to anyone else reading this post, You open your module at your own risk. Sorry I have to say that.

With that said, all I can say to you mmdurrant is you didn't look hard enough.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 08:48:30 PM »
Hypothetically, if a person was to open the module, knowing they were voiding the warranty, where would they find this SD card?

There's a thing covered with black tape. There are sub PCBs on little risers - I checked on the bottom and it wasn't there. I expected to find it close to the other SD card circuit as that is _how_ I would do it.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2017, 09:20:18 PM »
Hypothetically, if a person was to open the module, knowing they were voiding the warranty, where would they find this SD card?

There's a thing covered with black tape. There are sub PCBs on little risers - I checked on the bottom and it wasn't there. I expected to find it close to the other SD card circuit as that is _how_ I would do it.

Hypothetically speaking of course, there is the main CPU board and of course that thing covered with black tape (I wonder what's under there?).  ;)

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
Thanks for the very direct non-answer. ;)   I'll have to ask my friend to take a look at that.  COMPLETE hypothetical - he thought removing that black tape could be dangerous because it seemed like there was something connected to the PCB underneath. How careful might he need to be?

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 12:02:18 AM »
we don't have to wait on Alesis and can write our own damn kit editor.

But from what we saw, editor was done mostly, not sure if this worthed to spend all this time when it should be pretty close to release, we saw it earlier online, then it was removed, full editor with a nice pro and clean GUI interface with lots of option and pro quality,  it was complete full internal editor and also importing wav sample for multilayering instruments, to beat it would require lots of works.

I don't know if you are interested, but Sample Rack pro, needed one badly, I could send you 2 kits files, they have the sample name inside the files + coding, they reside in the SD cards on kits folder, and sample on the root of the sd cards.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:08:23 AM by ChrisK »

Offline rhysT

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 08:43:21 AM »
A team effort has produced this Strike module info that should be useful for creating custom user kits: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1P6G8XfAQ3YCki6nFo1eOsRVEb3LFixcsU9s4kCd_0do/edit?pli=1#gid=1096329833

Check out the 2 spreadsheets of kits & instrument groups, and maybe Strike kit users could share their own preferred custom kits or instrument combos.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2017, 12:57:51 PM by rhysT »

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
You will need a new firmware to use the editor, anything done made before will not works.

Alesis web site download tab:

NEW! Strike Performance Drum Module
- Firmware Update v1.2Coming Soon  Update required for use with the Strike Editor Software
-Strike Editor Software for WindowsComing Soon
-Strike Editor Software for OS XComing Soon
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:55:51 AM by ChrisK »

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 01:46:14 PM »
Howdy folks...

Have started reverse engineering the .sin file format.

Code is here: https://github.com/cbuschka/strike4j