Author Topic: [crimson 1] The choke on my crash only works one time  (Read 876 times)

[crimson 1] The choke on my crash only works one time
« on: April 22, 2023, 03:11:54 AM »
Hi, the choke on my crash only works once and then never again until I either turn off the module or disconnect and re-connect the cymbal then it works one time again. I took the crash apart and could not see any issues, I reflowed all the solder joints just in case, I even checked the choke sensor ribbon under the rubber lip and it all seems fine. Swapping with the ride though seems to rule out a cable issue and the crash does the same thing on the ride cable. One thing, is it normal for the main piezo to be stuck at the back behind the mount? Any ideas before I buy a replacement?

Offline Chaser

Re: [crimson 1] The choke on my crash only works one time
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 12:11:21 PM »
Hi, the choke on my crash only works once and then never again until I either turn off the module or disconnect and re-connect the cymbal then it works one time again. I took the crash apart and could not see any issues, I reflowed all the solder joints just in case, I even checked the choke sensor ribbon under the rubber lip and it all seems fine. Swapping with the ride though seems to rule out a cable issue and the crash does the same thing on the ride cable. One thing, is it normal for the main piezo to be stuck at the back behind the mount? Any ideas before I buy a replacement?

The 10" Cymbals are the typical piezo/switch..with the switch for choke.
However you can also use for Dual Zone if your hits are accurate on the 7 "Choke dots".
Turn off Bow (Turn down the Volume or Sensitivity all the way down)
Does the Cymbal Edge trigger consistently (C1-EG)...and after choking?
If it doesn't the switch may be going bad..if the Edge triggers fine , but the Choke is still the issue..write down/take note of your trigger settings and do a hard reset on the module...Hold down [<] [>]..while powering on...you'll see "factory resetting" message..
See if that corrects it..

The only difference between Single Zone and 10" with choke is the switch/ribbon which goes over the piezo to the connector..

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 01:18:10 PM »
However you can also use for Dual Zone if your hits are accurate on the 7 "Choke dots".
If it doesn't the switch may be going bad..if the Edge triggers fine , but the Choke is still the issue..write down/take note of your trigger settings and do a hard reset on the module...Hold down [<] [>]..while powering on...you'll see "factory resetting" message..

The only difference between Single Zone and 10" with choke is the switch/ribbon which goes over the piezo to the connector..

Thanks for your reply Chaser, tried the factory reset didn't change anything, my cymbal is not quite like the ones in your photos but similar, Interestingly the main piezo in mine is actually at the back just behind where the hole for the stand is, the ribbon extends to the front under the rubber trim for rim and choke functions. As I said it chokes the first time you try it and then not again unless you power cycle module or unplug the cymbal. Interestingly squeezing the rim after seems to trigger a crash sound. All very odd. I was thinking I might see if the board in the HH is the same (just missing the ribbon) and see if I can swap them. Attached some photos of mine.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 02:53:46 PM »

Thanks for your reply Chaser, tried the factory reset didn't change anything, my cymbal is not quite like the ones in your photos but similar, Interestingly the main piezo in mine is actually at the back just behind where the hole for the stand is, the ribbon extends to the front under the rubber trim for rim and choke functions. As I said it chokes the first time you try it and then not again unless you power cycle module or unplug the cymbal. Interestingly squeezing the rim after seems to trigger a crash sound. All very odd. I was thinking I might see if the board in the HH is the same (just missing the ribbon) and see if I can swap them. Attached some photos of mine.

My bad..I forgot the original Crimson came with the DMPads...I should have checked and asked first.The 10" are used with majority of the kits anymore.
As far as DMPads..there was a 12" "Cymbal" which is the Hi Hat (no edge/choke strip) and the 12" Crash..the Crash had the Edge/choke strip.The choke was always "finicky" and complaints about the choke delay including when shipped with the newer DM10 MKII Pro as these originally were shipped with the earlier DM10/8 and only worked on specific inputs that supported the choke which I presume the resistor helped the module differentiate a hit from a pinch/grab right after a hit as typically the resistors were to either cool down the signal or separate the Edge and the Bell...those modules sent a choke note..the DD650 modules send after touch.
Did you check to see if the Edge triggers consistently?..or once as does choking?
Have you tried checking/bypassing/replacing the resistor?.You could probably get by without it and just use a jumper.
I have both of the Crimson modules.. the Original Crimson and the II , but I use STRIKE Cymbals and got rid of the DMPads almost 10 years ago so I don't have any to check.