Author Topic: Replacement mesh heads  (Read 1073 times)

Joker47

Replacement mesh heads
« on: April 17, 2023, 06:23:32 PM »
Where do you all get your replacement mesh heads?

Also, should you stick with Alesis, or whatever brand kit you have? Or will any 8/10/12" mesh head work?

I haven't worn any out or broken any yet, but I figured I should know where to get them should I need one eventually.

Thanks,
J

Offline Chaser

Re: Replacement mesh heads
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2023, 10:47:00 PM »
Where do you all get your replacement mesh heads?

Also, should you stick with Alesis, or whatever brand kit you have? Or will any 8/10/12" mesh head work?

I haven't worn any out or broken any yet, but I figured I should know where to get them should I need one eventually.

Thanks,
J

Billy Blast...682..Drum-Tec..EVANS..Pearl..REMO and many others sell Mesh Heads now including 2 ply since Rolands Patent expired.3 Ply is also available from a few and is acoustically louder.Just a few short years ago there weren't too many options except purchasing overseas..or Roland Mesh Heads.

The Alesis Black mesh are 2 ply..I don't know exactly what the Newer white Mesh are other than supposedly higher quality etc.
Both are on ebay and Reverb now..PixelPro Audio (also store on ebay) is selling New White SE Heads , however it seems everyone is asking a steep price for them $50 ea..$110 for the 20" Bass/Kick..

There are single ply available like the Pearl MFH (Muffle Head),REMO Silent Stroke which are probably the quietest..but the shortest lifespan.
The more ply = acoustically louder , altho I see many mention a number of 2 ply being loud like Drum-Tec which has a good rep and the heads are available in both Black and White but acoustically similar to Mylar..
Instrumental Parts carries Alesis Mesh Heads "Per Kit"...there are differences between the STRIKE Kits and the others.
I don't know exactly what they are (Material,Mesh Weave etc) other than the Logo are different sizes.

Basically it's a matter of doing your homework,shopping around and if going with aftermarket seeing or hearing them in person if possible.

Here's an older (2021) Article

Mesh head guide for drummers | What's best for your budget?

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 10:54:30 PM by Chaser »

Joker47

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »
Thank you, sir.

J

Joker47

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 05:48:23 PM »
Is there a difference in the mesh head replacements between "silent stroke" style mesh heads, and E-drum mesh heads?

Just viewing them, it looks like the "silent stroke" style are thinner and just made to make acoustic drums quieter. E-drum mesh "appear" thicker overall, and of course have less options.

The other question, is why are the 14" so hard to find? I would like a nice 3-ply for my SE snare, but it seems like I'll damn lucky to find one at all.

Regards,
J

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 07:01:01 PM »
Is there a difference in the mesh head replacements between "silent stroke" style mesh heads, and E-drum mesh heads?

Just viewing them, it looks like the "silent stroke" style are thinner and just made to make acoustic drums quieter. E-drum mesh "appear" thicker overall, and of course have less options.

The other question, is why are the 14" so hard to find? I would like a nice 3-ply for my SE snare, but it seems like I'll damn lucky to find one at all.

Regards,
J

Mesh heads were originally intended for "Silent Practicing" on Acoustic kits  and Roland had theirs Patented for "E-drum systems" (V-Drums.)
Rolands Patent was for 2 Ply so everyone was using single ply like the Silent Stroke or Pearl MFH along with 3 Ply by Billy Blast (where you will find a 14" Ballistech Mesh Head) or making their own out of screen material for E-Drum conversions like Hellfire's Mesh Conversion for the Mylar "Realheads" and later companies like 682 released their own conversion kits with cones/mesh heads.Different companies use different materials and weave patterns , which some tried to patent..45 degree..60 degree etc...since Rolands Patent expired there are Mesh heads everywhere including multiple Chinese knock offs...Billy Blast Re-Released his 2Ply.
There was a Company called Prism (2017) that had a few different lines and types of weave designs of Mesh Heads but closed/went under during COVID.

Drum-Tec , Goedrum,Millenium ,Pintech,Roland all carry 14" Mesh Heads..most on Amazon..The Millenium are cheapest...don't know how the quality is which is why I recommended "In person" if possible.

Goedrum

Pintech

Roland

Millenium (Thomann USA)

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 07:36:44 PM by Chaser »