Author Topic: Strike multipad SD card directories  (Read 591 times)

Strike multipad SD card directories
« on: April 03, 2023, 03:13:29 PM »
Hi!

Got a real problem with my multipad, don t know what to do, my SD card crashed, and I didn t make a backup file! Well, Ive found a new empty card, but can t import any samples on it from usb card, it says unsupported format even though the format of wav files is correct, 16 bit etc..
Im trying to upload samples directly on card, but it doesn t work too, I think some folders or directories should be made on the card, so the import could be successful, but I don t know how the root directory is look like. I ve searched the forum, and find out that there is no chance to download the folders and samples that are crashed, so I m looking for advice in what way folders and directories on the new card should look like, so the import could work properly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:17:51 PM by Lrmr »

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike multipad SD card directories
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:57:31 AM »
Hi!

Got a real problem with my multipad, don t know what to do, my SD card crashed, and I didn t make a backup file! Well, Ive found a new empty card, but can t import any samples on it from usb card, it says unsupported format even though the format of wav files is correct, 16 bit etc..
Im trying to upload samples directly on card, but it doesn t work too, I think some folders or directories should be made on the card, so the import could be successful, but I don t know how the root directory is look like. I ve searched the forum, and find out that there is no chance to download the folders and samples that are crashed, so I m looking for advice in what way folders and directories on the new card should look like, so the import could work properly.

Welcome to the Forum  !
Even if the SD Card crashed you should be able to put into a Reader and copy off all the files and folders and check/test the wav(s) you think are/is corrupted and replace it.There is a system log file that records all the events for each session from power on..to shutdown   
The only "System" Backup File created is for the Factory Kit Presets , otherwise you save complete User Banks with or without Samples.

The Firmware and the File system are separate and the Firmware will operate without the File system/Wav content.
The SMP SD Card does not have a simple Folder structure..there are 177 Folders and 16,221 Files with over 8,000 NON Wav files
including 8 sort lists..wav...build...date...group...name...num...all...type.
The menus will usually show "Empty" if even one wav file or sort list,etc is corrupted or anything that causes it to fail the self check.
If the SMP starts with a corrupted wav it typically freezes or gets stuck in a loop trying to save data or a failed deletion.

ROOT...(6) folders...and a SelfCheck Bin File.

(1) BACKUP Folder -  (1) Folder..(1) File
(1) KIT Folder - (101 Files)
(1) LOG Folder - (1 File)
(1) SETUP Folder - (1 File)
(1) TEMP Folder - Zero/0 Files
(1) WAV Folder - (170 FOLDERS... 16,116  files)
(1) SelfCheck bin file

WAV FOLDER CONTENTS:
(1) DATA FOLDER - (83) Folders.. 8,054 files (wav files)
(1) HAD FOLDER -  (83) Folders.. 8,054 files (code/Text/path files for each wav)
(1) LIST FOLDER - 8 files (8 different sort lists)
(1) TEMP FOLDER - ZERO(0) Files

Folder 80 is the 1st folder user wavs are imported into..with No User imports the top wav is......Rolled SD Rim 1.

If you don't have the SD Card and all of the Files you'll have to contact Alesis support and Plead your case as the wav files are copyrighted so you won't find them available for download anywhere,especially a Public Forum.Alesis like any other company are not going to release an entire system.
You could probably get away with helping someone with a couple corrupted wav files ,but it's entirely different with 6GB and 8,000 Files.
Usually Support will have you send to a repair center..
I don't belong to any Social Media , but you can check the STRIKE Multipad Group (Private) on Facebook and see if there is/has been a solution for complete SD Card loss.
Majority of the SD Card failures I have seen users just copy over the existing card contents.In the case of corrupted Files you had to send the SMP in as you can't just simply pull the card and delete the corrupted file.They also need to be deleted from the sort lists.

EDIT:
Added Links

I forgot to mention...my experience with support wasn't exactly a positive one..I did get a response and they were courteous..but..

I have a NIB SMP that I purchased as a backup as when they first came out I purchased 2.
It functioned properly and everything was fine until a little over a year later I pulled it out for someone to borrow at the start of the Pandemic and I updated to v1.3.
After the update the system was "Empty".I pulled the SD Card and the log file showed successful shutdown etc so I replaced the SD Card and went to reinstall the update but noticed a white screen for the update screen , along with the system showing 0 of 30GB under Utilities , so for some reason communication was lost with the SD Card.Since it was out of warranty and obviously not the SD Card,I contacted support to see if the original Firmware was available and I was told "No" the entire board must be replaced which I thought was odd as the Processor,memory,USB ports etc are all on the same board and all function properly.. basically everything but the SD Card Reader/Holder is functioning properly
I checked after everything started opening backup (Pandemic)  and at the time there was a year back-order on the board.
It has been sitting in it's box ever since.I pulled it out a couple times..everything still functions for use as a MIDI controller , you just can't..load or save anything..including saving any settings.
The bottom line is..it may be or seem like a simple fix... but that doesn't mean it will be one..
I think if I could reinstall the "original firmware"..not an update , that would solve it..but Alesis will not release the original..and a New Board is very expensive and I am not sure I would be able to install/replace it as I probably still need to reinstall the original firmware.
I have replaced boards in the STRIKE module including good parts from a damaged (condition) module to replace bad parts in a good (condition) module but had a blank screen.I presume because of mismatched-not original parts/modules and reinstalling the firmware erases the MCU's and the 2nd part of the installation (Trigger OS) always failed , after multiple power cycling's the module itself prompted for a Firmware install and I was finally successful.. , which is more than likely why they have you send the product to authorized Repair Centers.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 12:53:26 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! The SD card stopped working after the classic, as I now understand, freezing of the device. After removing the card, the device worked, however, the library was empty, and the card itself was not determined by the Card reader. It seems, I will try to restore it in some way, I hope at least some data can be restored!
Thank you again very much, friend, you are the foundation of my faith in humanity.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 10:26:13 AM »
Alesis would have been better of with a proprietary Factory Sample base...with the option to import wavs then users with corrupted cards and/or samples could have downloaded and replaced and there would be no concern about copyright/piracy.
I also need to mention the above is the original Factory setup before importing user wavs.
After a user wav is imported a new sort list is generated.."WaveList_User_SortSize"..so there is a total of 9 sort lists.