Author Topic: Why is the Strike such garbage?!?!  (Read 840 times)

Why is the Strike such garbage?!?!
« on: March 31, 2023, 06:31:30 PM »
I'm honestly surprised how the Strike module is Alesis' flagship module, I've had significantly less basic problems with both the DM10 (which I love) and even the nitro module!  Anyways, on my strike module the bass drum tone on many kits (maybe all, just haven't had the patience to test on all them) dies out almost completely after selecting a kit and hitting the bass drum about 10 times or so.  I've tried doing a factory reset and just using headphones to the module to eliminate any superfluous things like my mixer or drum amp being the culprit.  this tone dying also appears to happen on other instruments like the snare and ride, its just extremely noticeable when your bass drum dies out and the faders is up pretty high.

Anyone experience this or have any suggestions?  its just super frustrating when trying to make music and your instrument is the problem and not you.

Offline stylazyn

Re: Why is the Strike such garbage?!?!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2023, 08:46:50 AM »
Not sure what you are talking about. I love my Strike module.

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2023, 10:14:20 AM »
That's great.  If you had my problems I doubt you would though.  I did read something about how the module will load an instruments layer very quickly so that you can play each kit right away when switching between kits (I guess then it finishes load the entire kit and layers over a matter of seconds).  I wonder if that could be it.  I may try reaching out to Alesis customer service/techs, if no one here has any ideas.  Happy drumming

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 04:30:43 PM »
I've had some concerns with the strike module

I originally bought the strike module to replace my DM10 for two reasons:
1. Editor Software
2. Multiple Outs

I've had three major disappointments with it:

1. Editor Software
   i. Software does not run on current MacOs (or the previous version)
   ii. Must be connected to the module to do anything. - My kit is not at my home - I know there are some in forum who actually have two modules to get around this issue. That is too large of an expense for me.

2. Multiple outs - I use 6 tom pads. I plug two pads in to cymbal triggers and set the voices to toms. However, there is no audio routing capability. Audio output stays with the trigger input interface. I would like to route all toms to one stereo output and cymbals to another. This can't be done because route cannot be changed

3. Midi input. On the DM10 any midi not can be assigned sounds. I have a control pad. On the DM10 I could assign all 8 pads to sounds even when all the trigger inputs were in use. On the strike - you only get as many sounds as there are physical trigger inputs. So even though it will respond to a midi note, you cannot have any more pads than you physical inputs.  I (stupidly) assumed that since the Strike was an "upgrade" to the DM 10 it would have all its functionality and more. Sadly no.

It is strange - for an allegedly "pro" model, It feels complete limited and constrained.

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2023, 12:25:55 AM »
That's great.  If you had my problems I doubt you would though.  I did read something about how the module will load an instruments layer very quickly so that you can play each kit right away when switching between kits (I guess then it finishes load the entire kit and layers over a matter of seconds).  I wonder if that could be it.  I may try reaching out to Alesis customer service/techs, if no one here has any ideas.  Happy drumming
So you're experiencing this when rapidly changing from one kit to another? Strike instruments do need time to load - even though they've reduced the disturbance from that during an update. The preset kits have a Lot of samples in them. They need time.

If switching kits is a thing that you have to do, it's best to work out switch times when you can get by during the full load time. Experiment with which sounds are best played during the switch, etc.,

I pick a kit that I like most and save it as a User Kit. Then tweak it to make sure it's my perfect all-around kit.

Then I'll save it under a new name and assign different sounds to different pads, most often keeping the kick and snare (or at least just the kick) the same as my main kit to help with that. Not sure if it works that way, but I just did it last weekend during a show - but I did it when all I was doing is holding a steady beat on the bass drum.

Have you explored your instrument velocity settings?

That's one of the big Big reasons to create User Kits. When we make Velocity changes, they must be saved to a kit in order to be saved. So we set the velocity settings to our playing style, then save the kit.

All of this occurs after we've tested out triggers and optimized any trigger settings we might need to do -  everyone plays differently. The trigger settings should only have to be set once as well is immediately after switching to a different pad. After that, these sorts of sensitivity, velocity, overall sound should be done (and saved) on the kit - velocity settings.

I'm still new to it and haven't even scratched the surface. I'm thinking that there's another spot for tweaking the sounds besides Velocity. I'll get better at explaining as I learn this crazy thing.

Anyway, hope this helps. Strike Pro SE is an Amazing Kit!
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist