Author Topic: Strike Pro Module Has No Audio Output  (Read 392 times)

Strike Pro Module Has No Audio Output
« on: February 18, 2024, 02:03:12 AM »
Hello all,

I have tried searching through the various threads here (and elsewhere) to find a solution to this, but I've come up with nothing aside from some basic troubleshooting that help point me (and hopefully you) in a general direction.

The issue is, basically, when I hit any pad no sound plays through either the main outs or headphone jack. Everything used to work maybe five years ago (the last time I played the kit). The kit was stored uneventfully indoors in pretty good conditions until I set it back up recently.

A few things I have tested:
- Every pad (and zone) works, so the cables from the pads to the module are fine.
- I use a 3.5mm adapter for the headphone jack to plug in my earbuds, which is the same adapter that I used to use and always worked in the past. I used two different wired earbuds to test and neither worked. I tried gently jiggling/rotating the adapter and earbud jack while in use to see if it was a suboptimal connection and still no audio. When using the volume knobs I think I hear faint white noise/crackling changing in response to the volume knob, but no actual sound/music plays.
- I used the main outs to plug in a speaker. I verified that this cable and the speaker work by plugging in my phone in the aux in jack, playing music on my phone, and having that audio play through my speaker.
- When browsing the kits on he module when no SD card is inserted, no kits show up under "Presets" or "User". When I insert my SD card (the same on I had my kits saved to years ago that used to work) it'll show the kits under "User" and let me scroll through them, but still no sound plays when hitting pads.
- I used an SD card reader to plug my SD card into my PC, found some .skt kit files from this forum and uploaded some to the card. The module read them in a similar fashion, but still no sound played when hitting any pads.
- I updated the firmware from (I think) 1.2 to 1.5 successfully (at least everything in the module shows it to be updated to 1.5). This may be stupid of me, but I'm almost certain this issue occurred even before I updated the firmware, but definitely occurred after.
- I tried restoring to factory settings (something like holding in two buttons on the module as I powered it on or something; I found the process on this forum somewhere). Nothing changed.
- I have successfully used a MIDI-to-USB cable to connect to my PC to play CloneHero. Interestingly, CloneHero doesn't recognize any inputs unless I have a kit selected in the module.

Because I know the .skts don't contain audio information (like .wavs, as their file size is so small in the range of 3KB or so), all of this is almost looking like any audio information from the module itself either got erased or "moved around/lost". One stupid thing I could try, because I can't say 100% whether this problem happened before I updated the firmware although I'm 80% sure, is, if possible, rollback the software to an earlier version and see if that knocks anything loose. I don't know if CloneHero only recognizing inputs from the module if I have a kit selected in the module is a red herring or not, but I don't know why it would make a difference, as the pads still register being hit without a kit being selected on the module itself. Is that a clue of some kind?

Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe offer me a roadmap of things I should try/do next? I know this is out of warranty so I'm not against taking the module apart. I'm decent at soldering and relatively handy with a multimeter, if that opens up any solutions. I'm losing hope and my motivation to come up with anything on my own is dwindling.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Pro Module Has No Audio Output
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 11:21:07 AM »
Hello all,

I have tried searching through the various threads here (and elsewhere) to find a solution to this, but I've come up with nothing aside from some basic troubleshooting that help point me (and hopefully you) in a general direction.

The issue is, basically, when I hit any pad no sound plays through either the main outs or headphone jack. Everything used to work maybe five years ago (the last time I played the kit). The kit was stored uneventfully indoors in pretty good conditions until I set it back up recently.

A few things I have tested:
- Every pad (and zone) works, so the cables from the pads to the module are fine.
- I use a 3.5mm adapter for the headphone jack to plug in my earbuds, which is the same adapter that I used to use and always worked in the past. I used two different wired earbuds to test and neither worked. I tried gently jiggling/rotating the adapter and earbud jack while in use to see if it was a suboptimal connection and still no audio. When using the volume knobs I think I hear faint white noise/crackling changing in response to the volume knob, but no actual sound/music plays.
- I used the main outs to plug in a speaker. I verified that this cable and the speaker work by plugging in my phone in the aux in jack, playing music on my phone, and having that audio play through my speaker.
- When browsing the kits on he module when no SD card is inserted, no kits show up under "Presets" or "User". When I insert my SD card (the same on I had my kits saved to years ago that used to work) it'll show the kits under "User" and let me scroll through them, but still no sound plays when hitting pads.
- I used an SD card reader to plug my SD card into my PC, found some .skt kit files from this forum and uploaded some to the card. The module read them in a similar fashion, but still no sound played when hitting any pads.
- I updated the firmware from (I think) 1.2 to 1.5 successfully (at least everything in the module shows it to be updated to 1.5). This may be stupid of me, but I'm almost certain this issue occurred even before I updated the firmware, but definitely occurred after.
- I tried restoring to factory settings (something like holding in two buttons on the module as I powered it on or something; I found the process on this forum somewhere). Nothing changed.
- I have successfully used a MIDI-to-USB cable to connect to my PC to play CloneHero. Interestingly, CloneHero doesn't recognize any inputs unless I have a kit selected in the module.

Because I know the .skts don't contain audio information (like .wavs, as their file size is so small in the range of 3KB or so), all of this is almost looking like any audio information from the module itself either got erased or "moved around/lost". One stupid thing I could try, because I can't say 100% whether this problem happened before I updated the firmware although I'm 80% sure, is, if possible, rollback the software to an earlier version and see if that knocks anything loose. I don't know if CloneHero only recognizing inputs from the module if I have a kit selected in the module is a red herring or not, but I don't know why it would make a difference, as the pads still register being hit without a kit being selected on the module itself. Is that a clue of some kind?

Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe offer me a roadmap of things I should try/do next? I know this is out of warranty so I'm not against taking the module apart. I'm decent at soldering and relatively handy with a multimeter, if that opens up any solutions. I'm losing hope and my motivation to come up with anything on my own is dwindling.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to the Forum !

It's going to be hard to determine at this point if the Audio (Main/Headphones) went out on the Power Board as you skipped major updates and jumped v1.2 to v1.5.
These weren't just simple Firmware updates but each also included specific Content - Kits,Instruments and Samples not available in later updates.. v1.3 (2017) and v1.4  (2018) contained Content-Kits/Instruments/Samples and you didn't mention the 2nd step in v1.5 (2019) which is also Content.If you load any of The first 20+ Kits in the module under v1.5 there more than likely won't be any instruments/samples.

Some of the earlier updates required the STRIKE EDITOR to install content after updating the Firmware using the Firmware Updater.
If the STRIKE Modules Class Compliant Drivers aren't installed or you don't allow enough time for the SD Cards to be identified/load , you will see a Hardware Not Found type message prompt and the Editor will Exit.

You are also mentioning a MIDI to USB cable which is not recommended as ALL Alesis modules are Class Compliant and just require USB cable so if you updated the module with a MIDI to USB cable I can almost guarantee something went wrong...updating is not done thru the 5 PIN MIDI ports.
During the updating process the MCU/Proms are erased during the procedure and any interruption/disconnection will result in a bad install.

Start by using the correct cable..USB A to USB B (Standard Printer/Hardware type cable).
The shorter the better..no longer than 10'.

Connect and watch for message prompt showing Drivers installed and device is setup/installed...wait a few minutes and the SD Cards/Folders will appear and HDD or SD Cards (Storage) (depending on Firmware version) and open on the screen..if on Windows it will also appear under Hardware and under Device manager.

Then Install v1.3...v1.4...v1.5..available here..
The updates are not available through Alesis..I uploaded years ago for just such a scenario as there are modules just sitting in closets etc as many for new users this was their 1st kit and lost interest.
I have purchased many of these modules..

Following the instructions Exactly...the Instruction pdf's are included..DO NOT do unattended updates as you are required to power down and restart in between or check to make sure the STRIKE module is identified.

You can't proceed any farther until you have all the correct Content to match the Firmware..
These must all be installed in order.

Read the entire Topic STRIKE Module Firmware /Editor Updates..then proceed.

After a successful install of v1.3 you should be able to select a kit and hear Audio.

v1.3 is a two-part update process: first, you will update your Strike module's
firmware using the Firmware Updater, then you will update the module's sound content using the Strike Editor software.

Alesis Strike Firmware Update v1.3 - Installation Guide

Alesis Strike Firmware Update v1.4 - Installation Guide

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 07:19:14 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 09:08:40 PM »
I honestly wasn't expecting such a thorough reply so soon. I really appreciate this.

One potentially important thing I must mention is that when I did the firmware update to 1.5 I indeed used the USBA-B cable; I only used the MIDI-to-USB cable to play CloneHero as the USBA-B cable didn't work for some reason.

I will however go through the iterative firmware update process that you laid out, but I'd like to mention some things to make sure I clear up any ambiguities or misunderstandings on my end:
1. When you say "...you didn't mention the 2nd step in v1.5 (2019) which is also Content," I don't know what you mean. I only installed the 1.5 firmware, and now that I go back through the steps I did to do so, I downloaded this 1.5 firmware from the Strike Pro Special Edition page (https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/strike-pro-special-edition) rather than the regular Strike Pro page (https://www.alesis.com/products/view/strike-pro-kit). The Strike Pro page only offers firmware up to 1.1.2 for Windows. Maybe this alone caused an issue?
2. I downloaded the Strike Editor but honestly didn't know how to even use it. Back in the day I only modified my kit through the module itself. When I installed the 1.5 firmware I never even opened the Strike Editor as the instructions included didn't say it was a part of the update process.
3. When I connect my module to my PC using the USBA-B cable all I hear is a "hardware connection" beep (I have Windows 11 Home x64). I did just look at what's on the SD card when I connected it and, funnily enough, the folders "Instruments", "Loops", and "Samples" are completely empty. The kits I put on the card are indeed in "Kits", but that's it. I'm guessing I need something in those empty folders for me to hear a damned thing when hitting pads, heh.

Only clarifying questions regarding how you want me to update the firmware:
1. I currently have the 1.5 installed. I will go to the link to the thread that you provided that has the 1.3-1.5 firmware updates and install them in order (1.3 > 1.4 > 1.5) following the instructions very carefully. However, I do not see a link to download the 1.5 firmware anywhere in that thread (I checked both pages). I only see your post from 11-27-19 showing what was updated from 1.4 to 1.5 and a link to a PDF of the instructions, but no link to the firmware itself. I still have the 1.5 firmware that I downloaded from the official Alesis page for the Strike Pro Special Edition page (that I mentioned above). Would using that suffice?
2. Should I do a "factory reset" before installing the 1.3 firmware or just do it as is?
3. My Strike Editor says that it's just v1.1, but I used the official Alesis Strike Editor link that says it's v1.1.2. I'm assuming this is fine? Please see attachment to verify that this is what I should be seeing.

Due to my excitement, I'll probably just go through the v1.2-1.5 firmware updated per your instructions even before hearing your reply, heh. Those empty folders on the SD card gave me hope that the two-step 1.3 update will clear this all up. Whether I await your response before I do so or not, I'll definitely provide an update after I get it all done.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2024, 09:39:03 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't wait, but I have a new issue.

When applying the 1.3 update, everything went smoothly and both the OS and trigger updates pushed through using the provided updater. However, once I went to install the 1.3 content update via the Strike Editor, after a few seconds I get an error from the Strike Editor saying "Alesis Factory Content Update failed. Verify the file and try again", and when I hit OK I get another error saying "The Strike Hardware could not be found", I hit OK, and the Editor closes.

Oddly enough, while this is happening, the SD card is still being successfully read by Windows. Also, even not updating the content and just leaving the Strike editor open and untouched will cause the "The Strike Hardware could not be found" error to pop up after about the same period of time (maybe 15 seconds).

I have two USBA-B cables and both are under 10 feet and both lead to this issue. They are quite old...bordering on maybe 10-15 years or more, heh. According to this USB compatibility chart (https://www.lifewire.com/usb-physical-compatibility-chart-2624585) it's likely that there's an issue using an old cable with a new port, as all my USB ports are at least 3.0 and the cable may be from the 1.1 or 2.0 era. I'll find an updated USBA-B cable and try again and provide an update.

I didn't say this in my last post but thank you very much for your reply. It gave me tons of hope.

Edit:
Well maybe I misunderstood that compatibility chart, but the shape of a higher speed USB-B cable is completely different (https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/12-576-039-02.jpg) from the one on the back of the module, so the speed must not be the issue. Perhaps they're just old cables. I'll buy another one anyway, hopefully tomorrow, and provide an update unless you can intercept me in the meantime and tell me that the cable isn't the issue and save me $10, heh.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 09:55:04 PM by IIllytch321 »

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2024, 11:18:52 PM »
Yeah, I couldn't wait, but I have a new issue.

When applying the 1.3 update, everything went smoothly and both the OS and trigger updates pushed through using the provided updater. However, once I went to install the 1.3 content update via the Strike Editor, after a few seconds I get an error from the Strike Editor saying "Alesis Factory Content Update failed. Verify the file and try again", and when I hit OK I get another error saying "The Strike Hardware could not be found", I hit OK, and the Editor closes.

Oddly enough, while this is happening, the SD card is still being successfully read by Windows. Also, even not updating the content and just leaving the Strike editor open and untouched will cause the "The Strike Hardware could not be found" error to pop up after about the same period of time (maybe 15 seconds).

I have two USBA-B cables and both are under 10 feet and both lead to this issue. They are quite old...bordering on maybe 10-15 years or more, heh. According to this USB compatibility chart (https://www.lifewire.com/usb-physical-compatibility-chart-2624585) it's likely that there's an issue using an old cable with a new port, as all my USB ports are at least 3.0 and the cable may be from the 1.1 or 2.0 era. I'll find an updated USBA-B cable and try again and provide an update.

I didn't say this in my last post but thank you very much for your reply. It gave me tons of hope.

Edit:
Well maybe I misunderstood that compatibility chart, but the shape of a higher speed USB-B cable is completely different (https://c1.neweggimages.com/ProductImageCompressAll1280/12-576-039-02.jpg) from the one on the back of the module, so the speed must not be the issue. Perhaps they're just old cables. I'll buy another one anyway, hopefully tomorrow, and provide an update unless you can intercept me in the meantime and tell me that the cable isn't the issue and save me $10, heh.

Windows can be a pain if you are using 3.0 USB Ports... for whatever reason (most of the time..none)..they have a tendency to time out with older hardware and Class Compliant Drivers are USB1.1 since 1999 and using USB cables over 10' especially MIDI (slow Baud rate..like a dial up modem) takes too long to complete the round trip and loses communication..also you are using Windows 11..and the Home Version (Pro is usually considered a Minimum requirement for a large amount of software developers) and lastly according to Alesis The STRIKE Module and the STRIKE Editor are Not Compatible with Win 11..and the STRIKE V1.5 Updater/Firmware is under Testing...attached..

also the link..

Alesis | Windows 11 Compatibility (Jan 25,2024)

I don't have any machines with 11 (I only use Enterprise LTSC Versions..)..so I can't confirm , haven't had anyone complain on this forum as of yet.

Obviously "Not Compatible" with Win 11 is not entirely true if the programs installed..the module was recognized and you were able to proceed and just have a connection issue...tho Hardware is specifically tested for that...it may ultimately be the problem in the end.

Windows 11 Hardware Support

All compatibility testing for Windows 11 is performed on Intel processors. Hardware support confirms testing passed for USB connection, as well as audio and/or MIDI communication.

Do you have USB selective suspend enabled?..disable it..also make sure nothing else is connected USB.
Keyboard/Mouse should be OK , but it wouldn't be the first time I ran into an issue especially if using gaming versions (Like Razer) that have there own drivers,lighting,updating program running in the background constantly checking/communicating etc

Are both SD Cards showing in file explorer?

I don't remember exactly which updates , but some require the module to be restarted..so you have to wait a few minutes for the SD Card to be seen by the PC again before starting the Editor other wise it loses connection/disconnects with the module/SD Card for a brief moment and shuts down.
You don't need to re-do the entire updating procedure...just establish connection to the module and start the STRIKE Editor and update content.
File > Alesis Factory Content Update.

Do you have another machine with Win 10 or earlier?..preferable one with USB 2.0 ports.

EDIT:
Added Links/attachment
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 12:46:16 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2024, 01:01:26 AM »
My bad, I looked at my X670E Pro RS manual and I was wrong: I have USB ports ranging from 2.0 to 3.2 and I've been using the 2.0 ports. I can try the 3.2s, but at this point I feel like I'm grasping at straws as I don't see why any of this would make a difference.

Also, as I stated, I only used the MIDI-to-USB when I would play CloneHero, not when doing any of this firmware business, in which case I used the USBA-B cables. I didn't even have the MIDI cable plugged in when attempting the firmware updates so the MIDI cable has nothing to do with anything at this point.

I don't see the fact than I'm using Home versus Pro being an issue, but I can see it being Windows 11 that could be an issue (assuming other people on the forum have had similar issues with 11?). I can create a dual-boot setup with Windows 10 Home x64 just to get the damned firmware properly updated, but I'd hate to do that and it not be the problem. I will admit that back when I first set up and used my kit I had Windows 10 Home x64, so that's something.

To answer your questions:
1. I do have "USB selective Suspend" disabled in the power settings.
2. I do not have the option to drag and drop the "Strike Content Update v1.3.bin" like I did with the OS and trigger update files. Dragging and dropping was only an option for the Alesis Updater for the OS and trigger portion of the update. So for the content update I'm opening the Alesis Strike Editor, going to File, selecting "Alesis Factory Content Update", then selecting the "Strike Content Update v1.3.bin". Again, even when I don't do anything in the Editor and just let it stay open for about 15 seconds, the same error occurs and the Editor immediately closes. So I don't think it's a file issue, it's a connection/communication issue.
3. Interestingly, I see both USB drives as existing (the SD card and what I'm gathering is the module's internal memory), but I can only interact and view the SD card. If I try to open what I think is the internal memory, I just get a "Please insert disk into the USB drive" message. Maybe the internal memory has become disconnected or something and there's a connection that needs soldered? But why would the OS successfully update? Does it store the OS on some kind of flash memory instead of an internal drive or something?

I just tried opening the Editor with the external HHDs disconnected and in every possible USB port I have with all three of my USBA-B cables (I found a newer even shorter one) and still the same issue. Average time it takes for the Editor to error out and close is 19 seconds. Every time this happened, the SD card could still be viewed in the Windows file explorer, so the entire connection isn't bad, just whatever the Strike Editor uses to communicate with the module for whatever reason. I tried without the SD card inserted in the module and nothing changed there either.

In an act of desperation I removed the USBA-B cable and used my MIDI-to-USB cable instead and the Editor wouldn't even recognize the module at all nor would Windows see the USB drives on the module. So the MIDI cable only works to get it to work in CloneHero.

I'm at my wit's end and I'll now try the following in this order which will take more time:
1. I'll try a dual-boot Windows 10 Home x64 and retry all USB ports. If that doesn't do it;
2. I'll buy the new USBA-B cable and try to update in both Windows 10 and 11.
3. I'll either only use it as an extremely expensive CloneHero drum controller or I'll risk destroying the module by taking it apart and poking around looking for obviously damaged parts of the board.
4. I'll kill myself.

Thanks again. Any other tips let me know. I'm starting to die inside all over again, heh.

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 04:01:14 AM »
Well, I dual-booted Windows 10 and the same exact issues occurred. Even tried forcing everything to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and still no change.

I did try going ahead and installed the 1.4 firmware. During this update it treats it like a two-part process akin to the 1.3 update just without using the Editor, first for the firmware (restarting the module by holding the record button and updating in the updater on the PC) and the second for the content (kits, instruments, samples). Similarly to using the Editor for the 1.3 content update, the 1.4 update process doesn't close suddenly, but loops infinitely. It'll update the firmware uneventfully, but when it gets to
"The first step of the update is complete. Now time to update your module with new kits, instruments, and samples.
1. Power off the module.
2. Power back on.
3. Press 'Scan for device' "
and I click on "Scan for device", it'll "think" for a couple minutes with an "Update Content" button at the bottom of the window that it won't let me click and I'll see "Updating Content" on the top of the module where it usually lists the kit you have selected, but after a couple more minutes the Updater will loop back to the same screen, "The first step of the update is complete..." and the module shows the same message. I tried giving it about ten minutes without touching anything after the loop restarts just for the hell of it, but the module never changed so I gave up. I went on to update to 1.5 and tried the same steps, but the exact same thing happened.

This is a chapter from a Franz Kafka novel and I think I may need to sleep on it lest I jump in front of a train.

A couple things I thought about in desperation and would like your input on:
1. The sound content is contained in .bin files. I wonder if I could read what's on the .bin manually (with some kind of .iso software of some such) and place the files on my SD card. Or does the sound files need to be on the internal memory of the module and not the SD card?
2. Alternatively, if someone uploaded all the sound content they have in the folders on their SD card (in the "Instruments", "Kits", "Loops", and "Samples" folders), would putting them manually onto my SD card help anything?
3. I can't get Windows to read and view the content of the internal memory of the module, only the SD card. Is this normal?

I'll still buy another cable tomorrow but damn, heh.

Thanks again, I can be verbose and most people don't have the patience to put up with me. I appreciate the help for sure. I would've jumped in front of that train by now if you hadn't talked me off the brink, heh.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 11:41:14 AM »
Well, I dual-booted Windows 10 and the same exact issues occurred. Even tried forcing everything to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and still no change.

I did try going ahead and installed the 1.4 firmware. During this update it treats it like a two-part process akin to the 1.3 update just without using the Editor, first for the firmware (restarting the module by holding the record button and updating in the updater on the PC) and the second for the content (kits, instruments, samples). Similarly to using the Editor for the 1.3 content update, the 1.4 update process doesn't close suddenly, but loops infinitely. It'll update the firmware uneventfully, but when it gets to
"The first step of the update is complete. Now time to update your module with new kits, instruments, and samples.
1. Power off the module.
2. Power back on.
3. Press 'Scan for device' "
and I click on "Scan for device", it'll "think" for a couple minutes with an "Update Content" button at the bottom of the window that it won't let me click and I'll see "Updating Content" on the top of the module where it usually lists the kit you have selected, but after a couple more minutes the Updater will loop back to the same screen, "The first step of the update is complete..." and the module shows the same message. I tried giving it about ten minutes without touching anything after the loop restarts just for the hell of it, but the module never changed so I gave up. I went on to update to 1.5 and tried the same steps, but the exact same thing happened.

This is a chapter from a Franz Kafka novel and I think I may need to sleep on it lest I jump in front of a train.

A couple things I thought about in desperation and would like your input on:
1. The sound content is contained in .bin files. I wonder if I could read what's on the .bin manually (with some kind of .iso software of some such) and place the files on my SD card. Or does the sound files need to be on the internal memory of the module and not the SD card?
2. Alternatively, if someone uploaded all the sound content they have in the folders on their SD card (in the "Instruments", "Kits", "Loops", and "Samples" folders), would putting them manually onto my SD card help anything?
3. I can't get Windows to read and view the content of the internal memory of the module, only the SD card. Is this normal?

I'll still buy another cable tomorrow but damn, heh.

Thanks again, I can be verbose and most people don't have the patience to put up with me. I appreciate the help for sure. I would've jumped in front of that train by now if you hadn't talked me off the brink, heh.

The Updater v1.3 had an issue and needed to be restarted after the OS/Trigger procedure..

Bouncing around different updates isn't going to help...you need to establish a constant connection to the module and the content from v1.3 and v1.4 and v1.5 for the Final v1.5 to operate correctly.The OS/Trigger OS are not in the SD Cards they are burned in.
The STRIKE Module uses Black Fin Processors and the majority of all the components are SMD...basically it's like a smart phone...not user serviceable.

I added v1.2 to the Module Firmware post,install it(uninstall all previous updater programs in case of a conflict) and see if putting the module back to original state (before you started updating etc) solves the Audio problem..until you figure out exactly why Alesis lists as incompatible with WIN 11 or maintaining a constant connection from software to hardware at least you'll still have a functioning module..
it could be something as simple as USB cables..however you posted you have an X670E Pro RS MOBO ..Azrock ..according to the specs it's has only 3.2 USB Ports...so unless you have added USB 2.0 card somewhere..there may be some issue there as you are probably using Azrock USB Drivers and not Windows..could be any number of things ..I have a High End Laptop that only has USB 2.0 and it doesn't recognize the STRIKE Module at all...it's a guessing game.
I remember years ago when I had issues with Firewire and only Windows machines with Texas Instruments USB chip sets would work.
I still have racks full of Motu gear that can only use the 2U PC I have in the rack.

X670E Pro RS

Supports AMD Ryzen 8000 and 7000 Series Processors
    14+2+1 Phase Power Design, SPS
    4 x DDR5 DIMMs, supports up to 7600+(OC)
    1 PCIe 5.0 x16,
    2 PCIe 4.0 x1,
    1 M.2 Key-E for WiFi
    Graphics Output Options: 1 HDMI, 1 DisplayPort
    Realtek ALC897 7.1 CH HD Audio Codec, Nahimic Audio
    1 Blazing M.2 (PCIe Gen5x4),
    3 Hyper M.2 (PCIe Gen4x4),
    1 M.2 (PCIe Gen3x2 & SATA3),
    6 SATA3
    1 USB 3.2 Gen2x2 Type-C (Front),
    1 USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-C (Rear),
    1 USB 3.2 Gen2 Type-A (Rear),
    8 USB 3.2 Gen1 (4 Rear, 4 Front)

Realtek 2.5G LAN
    802.11ax Wi-Fi 6E + Bluetooth 5.2

if after re-installing v1.2 Firmware and the Audio issue persists there are other issues.

The replacement boards for these are expensive..the 2 boards that end up with issues are around $400.00 each and the Main board must be programmed at a Service Center as there is no OS until installed in a Module.There are more and more users that have the low volume issue and no audio issue and since out of warranty just use the Module for MIDI Controller for Vst Software.I have one specifically for this because of the cost for replacement doesn't warrant it.

The STRIKE Module has 2 SD Cards..1= Internal (micro SD)..1=External(User/Std SD).
They are both Storage Cards..Kits (.skt),Instruments (.sin) Loops Samples (wav).
The Internal SD Card contains all the defaults Kits/Instruments and wav files...it is write protected.
The External SD card stores User Kits made from the edited default kits.
The External SD Card also stores Kits Instruments created with the STRIKE Editor using wav samples you load to the External SD Card.
The only exception is the creation of a Quick Instrument or recordings/loops recorded on the module  and are also stored on the External SD Card.

The wav samples are copyrighted material so you will not see them uploaded/posted especially Public Forums.
This Forum is a Public Forum and it is forbidden to Host or Post links to copyrighted material without expressed written permission..which Alesis never has nor ever will allow.
The Updates are Public Domain..the Copyrighted material  (wav files) inside the Bin Files..once extracted..are not.

You can check the STRIKE Owners group on Face book..it is a Private Group and someone may have already done so , or they have may the same policy for Copyrighted material.
Alesis (InMusic) requires modules to be sent to an Alesis (inMusic) Service Center...even if it's to just be updated or SD Card Failure...InMusic will not forward service manuals or firmware/Software to anything else.InMusic is highly focused on DRM..NO EXCEPTIONS

EDIT:
I have Updated the STRIKE Module Firmware /Editor Updates Topic to include v1.1 and v1.2 and now ALL Firmware versions and Direct Downloads are in one Post...by order of Release.
The Direct Downloads are actual Alesis/InMusic Server Links which eventually will become obsolete (or removed if they find out I kept all the Server links over the years) as InMusic is implementing a NEW AIO Software system and extremely focused on DRM.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 01:04:08 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 12:44:44 AM »
I had to double-take the motherboard info you posted, heh. I don't know why, but although that's listed on their official website, it's not entirely correct. Not only are there  headers on the board itself, there are four  port on the rear I/O panel (look under "Rear Panel I/O": https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X670E%20Pro%20RS/index.asp#Specification). Maybe they just don't care to waste space advertising older versions because they don't think anyone cares, I don't know.

I had no issue needing to restart the update between the OS and trigger, so I don't think doing so unnecessarily would make a difference. Both the firmware and trigger updates successfully go through without issue. It's only the content/sound portion that hangs.

I bounced through 1.3, 1.4, to 1.5 and tried to install the content updates at every step I could just out of curiosity when the first content update didn't go through. I tried every single content update with the associated firmware update and everything was the same; the content update failed/looped. For every single step the firmware and trigger updates install flawlessly and I verified this on the module afterward. I tried over again starting with 1.1 and still the exact same response.

When you plug in your module to your PC when you have an SD card in the module, do you see two drives populate, both of which can be opened and browsed through? I see both but I can only browse through the external SD card. If I try to open the internal microSD card it acts as though there's no card in it ("Please insert media" or some such). Just want to make sure. I almost wonder if reseating the microSD card in the module would suffice, heh.

From all of this I've gathered that either the module itself isn't reading what's on its internal storage or there's simply nothing on the internal storage anymore for some reason. Why else would the module, whether the SD card is installed or not, show the Presets as completely blank? I'll be damned if it's the cable; I just don't see it being the problem. And because of copyright this-and-that and it being out of warranty, it seems to suggest I'm out a few thousand dollars. I mean, a few thousand for a CloneHero drum controller isn't nothing, but damn.

You say that the internal storage in the module is on a microSD card...if this is indeed the case, I could extract it, use a card reader to connect it to my PC, remove the write protection on it (there are ways I could try) and go from there. If my PC could read the card and there's data on it then there's an issue with something else on the motherboard, not the card itself, and I'd have to tinker from there. But if the card somehow got erased and the rest of the motherboard is fine, I could (if I, as you say, find the right people/places/data) move the required data onto the card again and reinstall it. By the way, if there's any way we could communicate off of this public forum, please let me know if you'd be willing. No problem if you wouldn't but I had to ask. I don't have a Facebook but if you decline my invitation to communicate off of this board I may make one just for the Strike Pro Owners Group.

You mention that Alesis is uptight about all this, but if I'm out of warranty and gave up trying to fix this hardware bit myself, would they even take my module to fix it if I paid them or what?

When you say, "...use the Module for MIDI Controller for Vst Software," is this kind of like plugging my module into my PC, me hitting the snare pad, and some software saying, "The snare was hit, so let's play this particular snare sound through the PC's speakers"? Basically bypassing what my module won't do and offloading that to the PC instead? Because if that's a thing that's better than not being able to use it on its own at all. I don't mind needing to use some kind of software to get it to do what the module won't let it do because I know when I use my MIDI-to-USB cable my PC recognizes pads being hit because it works in CloneHero. If this is the case, can you point me in a few directions as to how this works and what I'd need to install? That would really turn my frown upside down right about now, heh. I know practically nothing about DAWs, VSTs, and whatnot.

Again, you've been very thorough and patient and I appreciate everything.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 07:48:24 PM »
When you plug in your module to your PC when you have an SD card in the module, do you see two drives populate, both of which can be opened and browsed through? I see both but I can only browse through the external SD card. If I try to open the internal microSD card it acts as though there's no card in it ("Please insert media" or some such). Just want to make sure. I almost wonder if reseating the microSD card in the module would suffice, heh.

You can view the contents of both SD Cards..you cannot Edit the Contents on the Internal Card.
The SD Card is Write protected while in the Module..this prevents users from corrupting/deleting the original Data Base and as mentioned previously Alesis/InMusic is not going to give access/downloads for copyrighted material to the general public.

You may or may not be able to view the Internal card contents because of some Incompatibility with Win 11 be it permissons..security or whatever has changed for Alesis to state it's incompatible with Win 11 and I don't use Win 11 so can't test/confirm either way.

Card Failure is typically not recognized by Computer OS's..just like a HDD if it's functional it'll be recognized.
If the SD Card is corrupted or has Failed the STRIKE Modules OS will display SD Card Errors..there are various warnings depending on the issue , but basically "SD Card Not Found".."SD Card Error"
You mentioned no such messages so it was presumed you are just missing content as you posted you went directly from v1.2 to v1.5..skipping nearly 3GB of additional or updated content...out of 5GB

To Confirm..
Load a Kit..if you see LOADING across the Display the SD Card is working.
If you don't see a Kit Name and can't scroll through the Kits or Instruments in the menu then there is the possibility the SD Card has become corrupted or Failed...as mentioned previously the OS should display a warning if the SD Card has an issue or in the case of Instruments Samples "Path Not Found"

You can attempt to replace it by removing from the Module placing in a card reader and copying the contents onto a new (properly formatted) SD Card and re-install.It's not a difficult procedure for some..for other that don't have experience with electronics or mechanically inclined it can be.

You will not find instructions on backwards engineering or disassembly of products posted as there is always those without experience that end up making their situation worse and the "Blame Game" begins which is one of the reasons why I don't post any of the advanced modifications I have done to these modules or other products and there are those who scour the Forums to steal ideas and designs for profit.Years ago this Forum was filled with ideas and New Trigger designs etc etc....some of those ideas ended up profiting others

If the Card simply failed you may get lucky and the New Card will be recognized and the Updater's will finish the Updating Process.
If the contents are corrupted you will be back to square one even with a New SD Card.
If there is no content on the SD Card then it may have been erased during one of the updates..tho to date no one has ever reported a SD Card being completely erased..corrupted yes..many have been corrupted if an update is interrupted/not allowed to complete entirely.

But if the card somehow got erased and the rest of the motherboard is fine, I could (if I, as you say, find the right people/places/data) move the required data onto the card again and reinstall it. By the way, if there's any way we could communicate off of this public forum, please let me know if you'd be willing. No problem if you wouldn't but I had to ask. I don't have a Facebook but if you decline my invitation to communicate off of this board I may make one just for the Strike Pro Owners Group.

An Invitation to go outside the Forum,Circumvent Companies DRM and take the time to package,upload to a File Host and provide a download link for 5GB of Copyrighted Files (17,000+ Samples) for someone who just joined a Forum?
Obviously..I Decline.

I do not belong to any Social Media of any type.
I suggested the STRIKE Group as it is Private and it's been reported there may be those that have had the same issue..There you will possibly find instructions on the Modules disassembly and SD Card replacement and relocation,there may even be videos on youtube by now.
The STRIKE Group may have a member or a link for a copy of the Internal SD Card Data Base or they may not as to honor the rights for the Manufacturer/Developer and not want to worry about someone filing a DMCA Take Down..Facebook would not be very understanding if they receive such a notice..

This Forum is for helping trouble shoot issues and resolve them if possible and helpful for experienced DIY'ers that are capable.No one on this Forum is affiliated/employed with Alesis or InMusic and can only steer you in the right direction and if the final determination is contacting Alesis Support to have the product repaired/serviced..then that's the Final Determination , anything beyond that is done at your own expense/risk.Support will give you the nearest Authorized Service Center location

Alesis Support

You mention that Alesis is uptight about all this, but if I'm out of warranty and gave up trying to fix this hardware bit myself, would they even take my module to fix it if I paid them or what?

Not uptight..ALL Developers implement DRM..just because you purchased the module doesn't entitle you to the ownership/rights to Intellectual property,Copyrighted Material or Lifetime Guarantee.Out of Warranty means you will have to pay for all costs involved..parts,labor and shipping..it's Not Free.These Developers have been going back and forth with Lawsuits over the past few years over Copyright infringement and Alesis/InMusic lost the last one a couple years ago with Roland and currently have multiple going on against others for a Turntable design so don't think they won't go after someone if they feel their copyrights have been infringed or Copyrighted material being distributed.

When you say, "...use the Module for MIDI Controller for Vst Software," is this kind of like plugging my module into my PC, me hitting the snare pad, and some software saying, "The snare was hit, so let's play this particular snare sound through the PC's speakers"? Basically bypassing what my module won't do and offloading that to the PC instead? Because if that's a thing that's better than not being able to use it on its own at all. I don't mind needing to use some kind of software to get it to do what the module won't let it do because I know when I use my MIDI-to-USB cable my PC recognizes pads being hit because it works in CloneHero. If this is the case, can you point me in a few directions as to how this works and what I'd need to install? That would really turn my frown upside down right about now, heh. I know practically nothing about DAWs, VSTs, and whatnot.

Take the time..do some research..watch some Youtube Videos..it's to your benefit..Drum Modules are all TMI (Trigger to MIDI Interfaces) and have the option to utilize the onboard sound or send MIDI to other hardware or Software including Drum Software/Vst.
There are also modules that are strictly TMI (No Onboard Sound Generator) like the Alesis TriggerI/O..DDrum DDTI and the most advanced current model..eDRUMin.

Your 25+ years behind and there is not enough hours in the day/week/month to try and explain this to someone with zero experience...examples of some of the more popular developers are BFD Drums..Drum Forge..Get Good Drums..Toontrack...XLN Audio..... and numerous others along with 100's if not 1,000's of Native Instruments Kontakt Kits example would be Analogue Drums.

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:22:08 PM by Chaser »